Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
And I agree with Grreatdog - the way to know what goes into your toolkit is by using it when you wrench on your bike.

Don't have a tool you need in your kit? Its better to figure that out in your shop. On that note... I don't recommend relying on this but it's amazing the ingenious trailside solutions that you can come up with when you run across a problem, don't have the tool you need, or are just plain stuck.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #32
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
What good does the AMA membership card do you?
I have not seen a reason to carry mine.

Walter
Towing service should it be needed. Kind of like AAA for a bike. I've not used it, hope it's good. The credit card and cash are the important part. You can't buy coffee and pie with a crescent wrench and they won't take a Snap-On socket and wrench set for a room at a motel.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
For those who ride alone, a means to start a fire, purify water and stay dry are mandatory in a tool kit. A magnesium/striker block, at least water purification tablets, a pocket knife, and a small tarp take up very little space but can make a huge difference when a break down occurs late in the evening and a overnight stay is the best idea.

Despite the best tool kit in the world, something is bound to happen that requires at least an overnight wilderness stay. When anyone finds themselves sleeping in underbrush, trying to cover up with dead leaves and shivering the whole night, they often realize how long the night is.

Not trying to sound like every ride is life or death, but there is not always help when you need it, even in what a person may think are well traveled areas. I have left my bike in the woods before and I have been left in the woods before (not camping).

Hell, no wonder... you're in Limbo!

Mark - klx678
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #34
markk53
jack of all trades...

I gotta tell you guys, I bought a pair of Great Neck ratchet box ends with four sizes on each wrench for like $14. The search showed about $25 on-line.

I know they aren't Snap-On or Mac, but hey they're low buck and work! One side is an 8,/10, other end is a 12/13. The large one has a 14/17 and an 18/19. Two wrench sizes that have seven sizes (18mm is useless on my bikes) and reversalble ratchet to boot without being much longer or thicker than a box end.. You could spring for the Channel Locks for about double what I paid, but they do an 8/10, 12/13 on one and then 16/17, 18/19 on the other - two junk sizes for most motorcycle use in the 16 an 18.

I've been using them in the garage for my SR project. Pretty decent, No bolt on a bike should be too tight for them except for a few of the 17s and 19s maybe.. Pretty cool deal. Got them at Keim Lumber, Charm Ohio. A cool place in it's own right as an incredible lumber and hardware store. Huge and right in the middle of great riding in the hills of Amish country of Ohio.

Just found KD makes a kit too:

Same useless 16 and 18 that the Channel Lock has, but it has a 1/4 drive adaper and a bunch of tips that might be good or bad. If an allen wrench tip set could be had it would be cool.. Maybe use 1/4 drive allens.

Mark - klx678

markk53 screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 12:18 PM
Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #35
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenL View Post
.....What are your thoughts on a spare tube versus a patch kit?
I only carry a patch kit for everyday riding. I don't like having visible tool kits or fender packs on the bike for just riding around town or casual dual sport rides.

I throw on the fender pack with front and rear tubes for extended rides, any rock fest where flats are likely and organized events where I don't want to hold my friends up or get nagged by trail mashalls.

Markk53, Sears sells a very useful Gear Wrench 8,10/12,13 like that. But it comes in a set that is $30 which is crazy expensive for something on the bike. But I may yet bite since it is perfect for a KTM kit.

http://gearwrench.com/catalog/wrench...ric&part=85211

Grreatdog screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 12:32 PM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #36
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederer View Post
Not trying to sound like every ride is life or death, but there is not always help when you need it, even in what a person may think are well traveled areas. I have left my bike in the woods before and I have been left in the woods before (not camping).
That's not bad advice! I always pack a couple Bic lighters ... one in tool kit, another in my Camel Back. My Camel Back holds 3 liters of water and I keep it topped up, especially when heading out into boonies. Purification tablets are good ... streams and rivers can save you.

That said, many times less experienced riding buddies have run completely DRY on water ... in the Desert! Not only must you carry more water than you think you'll need ... but you must conserve it from the start in hot weather. Being well hydrated before you ride also helps when water runs low.

Riding alone has it's risks. If you crash and are injured or disoriented bad stuff can happen. I remember years ago riding in Mendocino Nat. Forest (Fout's Springs) in December. Not really remote ... but it was cold with snow at upper elevations. Late in the day it began to snow making trail identification hard. We were headed down the mountain and back to camp when we came across a young guy on foot. He had crashed his bike, it would not run. He was nearly hypothermic and disoriented ... we found him walking in opposite direction to camp, with one hour of daylight remaining,
temps about 30F.

We found his bike and stashed it in the forest, made markers and wrote down trail intersection where we planted it. Turns out he didn't retrieve it until late March! (too much snow!) We rode him double back to camp where his "buddies" had not even missed him. (remember: young guys early 20's ... into their 2nd beer)

We gave the bike location instructions to them ... with a "good luck" and were on our way.

Out of the country I like the buddy system. That said, I've ridden solo in extremely remote areas of Mexico. Not too smart but pays to have a back up plan. But injury tosses all this into the weeds. Buddy system whenever possible ... and a good Tow Rope ... and remember ... as a last resort you can always set your bike on fire to create a "signal".
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:58 PM   #37
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
What are your thoughts on a spare tube versus a patch kit?
Nice tool kits and comments!
Patch kits vs. Tubes:
IMHO ... carry BOTH! I learned years ago on long Baja rides with 12 or 15 other maniacs to carry extra tubes and never take the time to do a patch on the trail unless you are out of tubes ... and enjoy riding through the Desert in the dark.

Fix the flat using new tube ... making certain all the cactus, nails or whatever ... are cleaned out of the tire. Hang onto the old tube if repairable (MC Tubes are Gold in Baja). Fix the tube later at the Motel over a beer. Some tubes are non natural rubber ... Buytl ... and will not easily accept a patch. The good news is that in Mexico the Llantero shops can patch ... anything! I never carry CO-2 Cartridges ... Bicycle pump never runs out, mounts on bike out of way, about 8 oz.

Long Range tool kit from 4 years ago. It's changed a bit since ... This is the "out of country" kit. Not shown are tire irons. Most tools fit in stock DR650
plastic tool holder.

Short range 2 to 4 day kit. Most ALL fits in stock tool tube.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #38
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 732
Has anyone thought of a tire boot? Tubes and patches won't do any good if there is a two inch gash in the tread and the tube pooches out of it when inflated. One tire boot doesn't take much more room than a thought and could be taped to the inside of a body panel or behind the number plate/headlight.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
AllenL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Onederer - As far as a boot, I've used duct tape on mountain bike tires, and although you'd need something more hd on a dirtbike tire, I think you could find something in your kit to make a trailside repair.

Has anyone built-in tool storage in their enduro bikes?

I ride an WR, and have thought about designing/welding a tire iron onto the kickstand so that I can have a big one to get leverage, but also so I don't have to carry it in my tool bag. This is not ideal for a large group ride or event, but most of my riding is spent picking around in the boonies with a couple of buddies at most - the time to unbolt the kickstand for a tube/tire change wouldn't be a big deal.

AllenL screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 04:52 PM
AllenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #40
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
I ride an WR, and have thought about designing/welding a tire iron onto the kickstand so that I can have a big one to get leverage, but also so I don't have to carry it in my tool bag. This is not ideal for a large group ride or event, but most of my riding is spent picking around in the boonies with a couple of buddies at most - the time to unbolt the kickstand for a tube/tire change wouldn't be a big deal.
On my XR650L, I removed the passenger pegs because I didn't have any use for them and used the two mounting holes for each peg bracket to mount tire levers to. I drilled two holes in each tire lever and simply bolted them to the frame. Out of the way, mounted low, out of any tool kit and always with the bike. The only concern I would have with a tire lever mounted to a kick stand is the weight, if it would be enough to cause the stand to come down on a hard landing.

Park Tool has some nice self adhesive boots for bicycle tires, I don't know how well they would work on a motorcycle, but might be worth a try.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #41
markk53
jack of all trades...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I only carry a patch kit for everyday riding. I don't like having visible tool kits or fender packs on the bike for just riding around town or casual dual sport rides.

I throw on the fender pack with front and rear tubes for extended rides, any rock fest where flats are likely and organized events where I don't want to hold my friends up or get nagged by trail mashalls.

Markk53, Sears sells a very useful Gear Wrench 8,10/12,13 like that. But it comes in a set that is $30 which is crazy expensive for something on the bike. But I may yet bite since it is perfect for a KTM kit.

http://gearwrench.com/catalog/wrench...ric&part=85211
I might have to look at one of the quad kits that has 4 quad wrenches running from 10-22. Thanks for the link. The cheap set would make sense on a bike.

Mark - klx678
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #42
_CJ OP
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,458
Do any of you guys use Fix-A-Flat or anything similar? Seems like it could be worth a shot before doing a real-deal tube replacement.

?
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
Do any of you guys use Fix-A-Flat or anything similar? Seems like it could be worth a shot before doing a real-deal tube replacement.

?
I carry a can of slime. It came in a kit with an air pump that I bought off Amazon.
I have yet to use it though.
Supposedly you can use the slime in both tubed and non tubed tires.
Hopefully I'll never have to try it out.
I also carry a tube repair kit, a spare front tube and spare rear tube.
I figure I'll just replace the tube so I only have to take the wheel apart once.
I'll then patch the punctured tube and keep as a spare.
I have a bike pump and CO2 cartridge inflator and electric air pump to air up.
Why the overkill?
Well I got a flat front in September on my way home from the dirt and sand trails.
Luckily it wasn't too far from home.
But where the trails were, I was about an hour and a half from home.
And if I had gotten the flat in the trails, I'd be pushing the bike a long way.
I was on the side of the road for a few hours waiting for my family to come with a trailer.
It was Sunday and no one was open to help me.
That's why the overkill. LOL
MySPOT
RandoCommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #44
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,432
A pair of lightweight walking shoes in the bottom of the backpack. If you have ever had to walk out in a pair of riding boots, you have scars and memories like me
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #45
FixerDave
KLR-650

Oddometer: 365
Full report here:
http://bikerdave.blogspot.ca/2007/04...-prepared.html

Basically, it's whatever I can fit in the standard tool-pouch, tire levers strapped to the down-tube, a patch kit, air pump strapped to the handlebars, and a survival kit to keep me alive overnight if it comes down to it.

One other tip is to carry lengths of tape/wire wrapped around your tools instead of full rolls. Replace as they get ratty or used.

I'm actually trying to figure out a bead-breaker that I can carry as well. Something that incorporates the tire levers has handles. The MT-21s I like to run are really hard to get off the bead and last time I had a flat, there was no one around to lean their kickstand on the tire to help. I ended up just riding it home, pumping it up about a dozen times in the process. Not entirely fun and I was very surprised to learn just how many gas stations have out-of-order air compressors. Just my luck,

David...
FixerDave is offline   Reply With Quote