ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #31
moggi1964 OP
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 585
Great detail especially the part on the stitching and fabric. Looks like you and I will be running the same suit in tandem so two user reports in differing locations (I assume) should cover off quite a few parameters.

Perhaps a spray coating on one arm to see if that helps delay the process of water transferring is worth a go then you can compare it to the other arm.

Did the jacket feel heavier in the arm where the water had permeated? I read that the material does not hold water so would not gain weight though I cannot confirm that applies to all the materials used. Useful to know your thoughts.

I pick up my Explorer this Saturday assuming the test ride is positive and the forecast is rain so it looks like the test begins shortly.

Will post back when I have something to tell. Be sure, too, good or bad it'll be posted (in response to the "fanboy" PM I got asking if I actually worked for Spidi )
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #32
enkil
Gnarly Adventurer
 
enkil's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: On the road
Oddometer: 153
Great looking suit.
__________________
Having fun while at it...
enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggi1964 View Post
Great detail especially the part on the stitching and fabric. Looks like you and I will be running the same suit in tandem so two user reports in differing locations (I assume) should cover off quite a few parameters.

Perhaps a spray coating on one arm to see if that helps delay the process of water transferring is worth a go then you can compare it to the other arm.

Did the jacket feel heavier in the arm where the water had permeated? I read that the material does not hold water so would not gain weight though I cannot confirm that applies to all the materials used. Useful to know your thoughts.

I pick up my Explorer this Saturday assuming the test ride is positive and the forecast is rain so it looks like the test begins shortly.

Will post back when I have something to tell. Be sure, too, good or bad it'll be posted (in response to the "fanboy" PM I got asking if I actually worked for Spidi )
I actually live in NJ too and commute from Exit 10 on 287 to Exit 59. I rode in the rain on Wednesday which was on and off in the morning and the suit dried out in the last 20 or so minutes to work. The reality of any waterproof breathable fabric is that once the Durable Water Repellent wets out, the face fabric will absorb water (gore-tex or not). Riding at highway speeds will generally overpower the DWR, and the Ergo 365 Pro is no different.

The issue with most suits using waterproof liners is that the mesh fabric, which is great for sucking sweat (water) away from your body, will also pull it from the shell of the suit. So for the most part, the mesh fabric stayed dry, except at the front/inner arms. I am very surprised that none of the other un-taped seams in the jacket leaked at all, and I am still of the opinion that this jacket would've been perfect if they had used the 3 layer laminate in that spot.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #34
moggi1964 OP
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
I actually live in NJ too and commute from Exit 10 on 287 to Exit 59. I rode in the rain on Wednesday which was on and off in the morning and the suit dried out in the last 20 or so minutes to work. The reality of any waterproof breathable fabric is that once the Durable Water Repellent wets out, the face fabric will absorb water (gore-tex or not). Riding at highway speeds will generally overpower the DWR, and the Ergo 365 Pro is no different.

The issue with most suits using waterproof liners is that the mesh fabric, which is great for sucking sweat (water) away from your body, will also pull it from the shell of the suit. So for the most part, the mesh fabric stayed dry, except at the front/inner arms. I am very surprised that none of the other un-taped seams in the jacket leaked at all, and I am still of the opinion that this jacket would've been perfect if they had used the 3 layer laminate in that spot.
Oh well, I was hoping that we would have differing climates but that doesn't matter. Good news on the untaped seams, let's hope that lasts.

I'm interested to experience this front/inner arm (well actually I am eager to avoid it) to understand that better and provide feedback to Spidi.

Picking up the bike tomrrow though the weather forecast seems to be rather nice so if I decide to keep the bike it may be a day or two before I get some rain testing done.

How are you enjoying the fit? Is the neck still super comfortable and what about sealing off airflow to the neck area; is it efficient? I expect I will get to test the venting tomorrow if the forecasted 78 appears and hopefully so will you.

Ride safe
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #35
chef_of_the_future
You talking to me?
 
chef_of_the_future's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Oddometer: 263
Can it core a apple?
__________________
"I don't wanna talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper! I fart in your general direction! You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

2007 1200GS
chef_of_the_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #36
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_of_the_future View Post
Can it core a apple?
Apparently not, but instructions on how to peel it are under the left arm pit
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #37
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,039
3000 Mile Report (Jacket only)

After a month of ownership, I have to say my biggest complaint with the thing is the styling, I get some weird looks at the office compared to my last jacket (BMW Boulder 2), but I knew how it looked going in. If they could put the same materials and construction techniques into a jacket styled like the 648 model they have or the Ace Tex, I would be interested.

Other than that, I think the jacket is good, but a few steps shy of greatness. There were some design choices impacted by the requirements of meeting EN13595, and I think it shows. Other than that, if your priorities are on protection (at least according to tests)and you tend to ride in hotter climates, then I highly recommend it. I bought it for less than some of the other jackets using liner systems, so I think this is an obvious choice.

Things that are good:
-Fits very well, plenty of adjustment to keep the armor tight to your body
-Dries fairly quickly after a rain storm
-Vents well with the liner out.
-Waterproof (with the liner in)
-Sleeve cuff system is very easy to use with gloves, and it is easy to tuck your glove under the waterproof liner
-Knowing the suit passes EN13595 Level 2

Things I am on the fence about:
-Removable pockets-I thought these were really silly at first, but you can change how the jacket flows air depending on the pockets you have. The majority of the time I run without the removable pockets though, and I would've preferred to not have paid for them, or had that money go into another feature.
-Waterproof liner (removable)-Fiddling with liners is always annoying, and of course I knew that going in. The liner/jacket system of the Ergo pro performs significantly better than other jackets with liners that I have used in the past-good enough that when it rains, I don't even think twice about leaving my Klim Stowaway at home. For the most part the shell repels water, although you do feel a little moistness on the front of the arms where a 3L WPB fabric is not used.
-Chest vents-The vents flow a lot of air, but they are somewhat fiddly to work with all the snaps.

Things that are annoying:
-Front zips that attach the H2Out liner to the shell are damn near impossible to use while wearing both. There are 4 sets of zippers, two on the bottom and two near the neck-the neck ones are hard to use. I understand that this is to allow for using the chest armor, but it is still annoying.


Room for improvement:
-Sleeve zips need a locking 2-way zip so it can double as a vent, unless it wouldn't meet EN13595.
-Either the H2Out liner or the shell need a waterproof cell phone pocket on the inside.
-If they could make the outer shell waterproof, I'd probably buy that instead.

If you have specific questions, just ask. Probably one of the best things I can say about the jacket is that it does a good enough job everywhere that I more or less forget about it.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:18 PM   #38
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,039
4500 mile report

Jacket liner leaks two months in. Didn't even make it to its first wash.

I get a little bit wet on the front of my arms, but I am not positive if it is leaking there, or if it is just crazy sweat. The pattern is very strange though, dimples all along my shirt where the seam tape is.

I am definitely getting wet on my back and it is because the seam tape is peeling. Wouldn't be surprised if this was happening on the arms too, but just isn't as visible (ie glue is not bonded all the way through).



Good news is that Spidi will replace it...once I send it back. Going to drop it off in the mail tomorrow.

I've gotten damn near every MC garment I've owned to leak, Gore-tex included. I just have the worst luck. Or maybe I am just too tough on this stuff.''

Edit:
Finally got it back. When I shipped it to them it got stuck in customs for a while, man that took forever.

keiji screwed with this post 08-04-2012 at 10:06 AM
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #39
moggi1964 OP
Tiger Keeper
 
moggi1964's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Madison, NJ
Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiji View Post
4500 mile report

Jacket liner leaks two months in. Didn't even make it to its first wash.

I get a little bit wet on the front of my arms, but I am not positive if it is leaking there, or if it is just crazy sweat. The pattern is very strange though, dimples all along my shirt where the seam tape is.

I am definitely getting wet on my back and it is because the seam tape is peeling. Wouldn't be surprised if this was happening on the arms too, but just isn't as visible (ie glue is not bonded all the way through).



Good news is that Spidi will replace it...once I send it back. Going to drop it off in the mail tomorrow.

I've gotten damn near every MC garment I've owned to leak, Gore-tex included. I just have the worst luck. Or maybe I am just too tough on this stuff.
Sorry to hear that. I've been wearing my Spidi mesh jacket and pants so haven't put many miles on the Ergo but once the weather changes in the fall I will. Glad to see Spidi stepping up quickly with a new garment

Let us know once you have it.
__________________
Moggi1964

Triumph Explorer
moggi1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #40
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
Moggi, Keiji,
Could you tell us how the jacket and pants are performing in the summer heat?
It's been over 35C for almost three months around here, and I've been wondering would this suit be bearable in such conditions.

Cheers.
It does about as well as you would expect for a 4 season jacket. I start to sweat around 85F (~30C) just standing around in my street clothes so anything above that is simply a matter of tolerance. It has only hit 95F+ (35C) a couple of times and it wasn't bad, but I still sweated a lot when I stopped.

It also depends if yo are talking about a dry heat or humid heat. Dry, I can do comfortably in just about anything, humid not so much.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #41
MZ5
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Arizona, USA
Oddometer: 102
Keiji, is it dry or humid where you are? Where I am, it is both. We will see 110 - 120F for an average of 30+ days each year here, and many of those days see humidity in the single digits. However, later in the summer we will see 95 - 105F and high humidity. This has been especially problematic the last week or so, where dew points have been in the mid 70s to low 80s yet it's been over 95F.

I'd really, really like something with outstanding protection that could be truly year-round for me here, but those items that are mainly a fish net passing as summer clothes just won't work; it's too hot to have that little protection from the heat (I ride almost all my miles at speed on highways and freeways).
MZ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
Keiji, is it dry or humid where you are? Where I am, it is both. We will see 110 - 120F for an average of 30+ days each year here, and many of those days see humidity in the single digits. However, later in the summer we will see 95 - 105F and high humidity. This has been especially problematic the last week or so, where dew points have been in the mid 70s to low 80s yet it's been over 95F.

I'd really, really like something with outstanding protection that could be truly year-round for me here, but those items that are mainly a fish net passing as summer clothes just won't work; it's too hot to have that little protection from the heat (I ride almost all my miles at speed on highways and freeways).
It's been somewhere between 40% and 80% humidity during the summer. I basically commute to work 75min each way every day; I don't have an issue being presentable getting there in the morning, but I can expect to sweat on the way home. Then again, I'd also be pretty hot in a mesh jacket so the point is kind of moot.

You get good airflow through the front panels of the arms, pit zips, and chest vents-I have no complaints during the summer.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
Ironmanmatt
Village Idiot
 
Ironmanmatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: I live right next to the "You are Here!" sign.
Oddometer: 15
Sizing with liners out

Just curious how the suit fits without the two liners out?
__________________

It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
Ironman Finisher:Canada 89,92,94,96, USA 2000, Florida 2001
Ironmanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #44
keiji
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanmatt View Post
Just curious how the suit fits without the two liners out?
Depends if you size it correctly. There is a large amount of adjustment in the jacket so it is easy to just cinch it down when you remove the liners.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #45
Maxyb
Falling over slowly
 
Maxyb's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Radelaide
Oddometer: 104
I purchased the suit when i was in Italy 6 weeks ago, then rode around the UK in it for 12 days after that.
performed brilliantly, although i was a bit cold, but mainly due to my thinner gloves and thin socks. When i get back to Australia i'll be testing the warm weather attributes of it, definately a fan of all the vents (and the cool little scoops on the pants). it'll be much better than the leather jacket and kevlar jeans i had been wearing previously.

but i have a query for the other guys who have got one;
what is the zipper (that is about 8-10 inches long just behind the flap between the left chest vent and the main zipper) for?
all i can think of is extra ventilation, but if that were the case wouldn't it comprimise safety?

max
Maxyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014