Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Seasider: This event will be more like 2006. Much more dirt oriented. The best bikes then were singles, although time keeping is much more important than the type of motorcycle. In 2010 the Canol roads had serious mud, so all the twins were very slow through there. I'd say bring the bike you are most comfortable on. You definitely need heat. You'll have plenty of wet and cold weather. The thumper riders like Crankshaft stopped and made under vests out of plastic garbage bags to retain more body heat! Also, the liason between TSD sections are challenging because of the distances to get to your next start time. You can't dawdle, so your bike should to be able to cruise around 70mph. Some of the KTM singles only cruised about 60, so they were always rolling up just before their TSD start time.

B1ksolo - The rally starts at a Hotel in Kirkland, just north of Seattle on Monday August 20th. Most arrive Saturday, unload and commence finishing the prep work they never got to . Sunday August 19th is sign in, scrutineering, downloading gps, route charts and the rally master's meeting. The rally typically starts at 8am on Monday with vehicles leaving a minute apart. The first TSD will be a paved section through the apple country northeast of Seattle. This gives everybody a chance to get comfortable navigating their route charts. If you're new to it, it can be quite challenging at first trying to ride and read all your crap at the same time.

9 days later the rally will end at Anchorage, AK. There will be an awards banquet that night. By then, you'll have many new friends and a great time will be had by everyone. Next morning, some will load their bikes onto trailers brought by the rally crews, and ride in a truck/car the way back to Seattle. I always rode back, though. It's about 2200 miles and I typically did it in 3.5 days. Almost everybody towed to Seattle and towed home, so we had to make arrangements to park our rigs.

Go to my first post and click on the link that shows the daily routes. Then go to google maps and take a look. Go to satellite and zoom in to see the terrain.
thanks Pantah
I need to open my eyes, all the info is there in the link, I'm 95% in on this one
B1KSOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
Muskokamudder
n00b | b00n | b0n0

Oddometer: 18
Entered for the race

Thanks for this thread - I have signed up for my first rally and I have lots of time go get ready.
@MuskokaMudder Twitter
Muskokamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 687
More Dirt?

I was thinking my next attempt would be the winter version in a car. Now that I see that all the good roads that were missed in 2010 are back on the list....I'm thinking I'm going to have to do it again on the 990.

Thanks Pantah for the update!
ironmtnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmtnracing View Post
I was thinking my next attempt would be the winter version in a car. Now that I see that all the good roads that were missed in 2010 are back on the list....I'm thinking I'm going to have to do it again on the 990.

Thanks Pantah for the update!
Do you still have your ICO? You should win this thing if you do. You had that thing figured out tha last two days!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,753
This is high on my list of events I want to do. While it is probably doable with my KLR I am hoping to have a KTM 950 Adv by then. So, the $2k entry fee includes hotels and chase vehicles? That is one heck of a deal!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
This is high on my list of events I want to do. While it is probably doable with my KLR I am hoping to have a KTM 950 Adv by then. So, the $2k entry fee includes hotels and chase vehicles? That is one heck of a deal!
$2k entry includes:
1. Hotels day 1 thru day 9. (double occy)
2. Sunday night dinner/rallymaster's meeting day 0
3. NWT camp sleep bag, tents, dinner and breakfast. Bring your own spirits.
4. Three chase trucks and trailers. One van to haul spares and gear.
5. One chase truck doubles as a gas truck for the places you need it. There will be two, NWT camp and the Dempster Highway.
6. Awards banquet done big with awards. Cash bar.

Navigate via route charts given out every night. A 6" holder is useful, or simply use your map case on top of your tank bag. Like Baja, you won't really need your GPS for navigating because there aren't many roads. However, you will need the GPS satellite clock, because the rallymaster uses it to time your check points. You need it mostly for starting on the right second. I used a stop watch to time my progress through a TSD.

In 2006 I trailered from Boston to Seattle. In 2010 I doubled with a friend to trailer from Phoenix. All in I think I spent about $3k, maybe a little more when I count tires and spares consumed and a service interval.

Great value for what it is. You couldn't really do it on your own without hiring support.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,355
Quote:
My trip is brewing with the XRL in mind.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Girlieman
What's in the bag?

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
There were several KLRs in 2010, myself included. It was a little tough keeping up sometimes on the faster roads but the dirt was definitely an equalizer. My only problem was keeping warm enough on a couple of the rainy,sleety days. I had a gerbings jacket liner and gloves but the KLR electric system couldn't put out enough juice to keep me as toasty as I was hoping for. That said, a couple of the guys I was riding with just used extra sweatshirts and garbage bags. They were definitely tougher than I am.
Girlieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #24
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Was pissed I couldn't go in 2010. I'm 100% in for 2014
Let's do it Ted!!
Old 10-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #25
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

www.alcan5000.com

I just wanted to bump this thing. Colleen Hines (Rallymaster's wife) was in Boston over the weekend so we visited some. I sensed this might be the last summer event, so if this is on your bucket list...I sent my entry last night.

I think I'm going to ride my Yamaha WR250R. I want to try the full computer class this time so PM me if anybody knows where I can buy one.

Colleen says there are 15 motorcycles and some 15 cars signed up already so hopefully we'll have a good field. The website probably hasn't been updated in awhile.

The principal dirt sections are approximately as follows:
-Blackwater Road from Quesnel. Maybe 120 miles worth.
-Parts of the Cassiar and the Road to Telegraph Creek. Maybe 200 mi.
-Campbell Highway and the North Canol. 600 miles worth.
-Top-o-the World Highway. 200 miles or so.
-Haul Road to Arctic Circle and back. 400 miles I think.
-Denali Highway. 140 miles.

You'll need at least 170 miles fuel range (more is better). The fuel truck will be spotted to help us in the two areas that we'll need more gas. That will be the NWT bivouac and the Haul Road.

Here's to you Ned:

NWT Camp:

Denali:

The Blackwater:

Sweep:

Installing new rubber in Dawson:

North Canol:

Repairs:

The best bar stool on earth:

Victory:

Friends:
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #26
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
Let's do it Ted!!
I'm signed up and deposit paid

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #27
BLINKER 152
mudlover

Oddometer: 224
signed up for this one earlier in the summer. really looking forward to it, especially if this is the last summer event. thanks Pantah for putting this on the radar earlier in the year. now if i could just decide between the 990 and 640
look forward to meeting some of you

a bunch of KTM's and a 1950 PANHEAD
BLINKER 152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #28
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,565
Question for those who have done this event...are the roadbooks/mileages in miles or kilometers ?

Thanks in advance

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 AM   #29
Pantah OP
Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Question for those who have done this event...are the roadbooks/mileages in miles or kilometers ?

Thanks in advance
I used miles, but they may have had both. I can't quite remember.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #30
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,741
Quote:
I'm signed up and deposit paid
OK where are those forms again .... do I have to print the pdf and then scan it back, I can't seem to entry any info.