User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
domingo3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Question How FEW bikes have you had?

I've been riding for 15 years, most of which I have not owned a car. I have had 4 bikes in that time. Although I've been mostly happy with the new bike that replaced the old, in each case, I wish I would have held onto the bike even longer.
I often see people posting that have owned dozens of bikes or have half a dozen bikes in the garage right now. I know the internet casts a wide net, but I'm just wondering how many others are like me and do the math in their head to figure out someone who was posting bought an average to two bikes per year for the past twenty years, etc.
domingo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
combustor777
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Interesting post. I've been riding 8 years and just got my 4th bike a few weeks ago. Probably would be on #3 still if it hadn't been an insurance write-off. I normally only keep one bike at a time, consequently it needs to be versatile. I do a lot of research/test riding before committing. The first 3 bikes were bought used, and I was able to ride them several years, put 10k-30k miles on them and sell them for what I paid. Bike #4 I bought new, at substantial discount. With that sort of record I suppose I could afford to switch as often as I desired, and I compare what I have to what's out there frequently. Usually if I find anything "better" it would require a substantial financial outlay for a modest improvement, so I stick with what I got for a while.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,482
If I had the disposable income, you bet your ass there'd be at least one rotating spot in my garage with a new bike in and out of there on a regular basis.

But I don't. Still, being able to do my own wrenching and scooping up huge deals on CL has gotten me a decent number of bikes - about 5 in the 10 years I've been riding. I've owned more bikes than that but some of them have been "buy and part out" kind of bikes that never actually got ridden by me.

I think even once I have a bigger budget to work with, I'll probably stick with cheaper bikes just because it allows me to try out a bunch of different ones.

There's a lot of variation in motorcyles, I'd like to try as many different rides as I can.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,415
Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,080
Riding since 1982, five bikes.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
I bought my first bike in 06. Had it about 3 years. took it apart and put it back together several times, rode it all over the place. When the electrical system totally crapped out on me a month after I replaced the primary drive shaft, I got rid of it. Got busy with my career and never managed to pick another one up... until last March.

I'm on my third bike in the last year. 4 total. loved the one I bought last summer and wish I still had it. To be honest, I loved all three in their own ways and wish I could have kept them all. but I want to try a large variety of bikes, and don't have a bunch of money. So I buy bikes that interest me and I can find a good deal on, work on em, and sell them in better shape than they came to me in. Meanwhile, I get to try them out. Pretty much break even and have fun in the process. When I get out of NYC and have a little more disposable income, I'll most likely get one of the bikes I really want and keep it, and do the project bike thing on the side.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,160
I bought my first bike the day after high school graduation and have owned at least 1 ever since (even when Uncle Sam forbid it ).
I've averaged .39 bikes/yr, most of which I still own.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,469
Three. Four if I count that 1986 Helix. Also, never had more than one bike at a time.
Contevita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Four since I started riding in 2001 or so.

1981 Yamaha XS400 Maxim. I kept this about a year, but realized it was too small. Not so much displacement, but physical size. I felt like I was riding a minibike on the freeway. I gave it to a friend who passed it along to another friend.

1997 Kawasaki Concours. Bought in 2002. Best vehicle I ever owned. I put around 55,000 miles on it. Sold it in 2009.

1980 Suzuki GS1100L. Bought in 2004. Sold in 2008. A friend gave me this for $250. I restored it but decided to sell it because I didn't ride it much. I wish I still had it. I learned to wrench on motorcycles with this (which was the point of having it). It was also scary fast for a bike that age.

2008 Buell Ulysses XT. Bought in 2009, Currently for sale. I've put 20,000 on this bike, but am looking for something with better wind protection.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
9.5isCanadian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Started riding in 1988
CBX550k
FZ750 (sold to my best buddy who still has it)
FZR750r (still in my garage)
YZF750 (rip)
CBR900 (still in garage)
Scrambler -current

Not too bad ........
Owen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
9.5isCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #11
HOTPASS
Torch slinger

Oddometer: 58
I've had like 25-26 bikes in about 7 years of riding.

I have an addiction. Trying really hard to keep this one. It's hard as hell though,hah
Old 06-17-2014, 12:09 AM   #12
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
2 bikes in 8 years of riding, and I've had my current bike for 5 years. Obviously there are loads of new and better performing choices out there, but I don't really feel like getting another bike just yet. Not much of a point; my riding performance is limited by my own skills, not the bike.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #13
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,026
4 bikes in 12 years. This fourth one is a keeper though.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:19 AM   #14
Long Trail
adv dreamer

Oddometer: 51
I've owned three bikes in 19 years. Got my license on my sixteenth birthday followed soon after by my motorcycle endorsement. My first vehicle was a motorcycle, nobody else in my high school had one.

Currently I am without two wheels due to life situations, but that is another story.

Anyway that averages 6 years 4 months per bike.
Long Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
TonyKZ1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
I had a Yamaha dirt bike while in high school during late 70s, doesn't count I guess since my dad bought it for me and my brother.
Got back into riding in 2003, bought a '75 Kawasaki KZ400d, sold and bought a '89 Kawasaki Ninja 250 in May 2006, Sold that and bought the current ride - a '97 Yamaha Seca II in Jan 14. So three in 11 years.
Tony