Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #46
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 273
That VTR250 that Honda sells in Japan really is a sharp looking bike. I would sell my Ninja to buy one in a heartbeat, but sadly...

-Jake
Old 01-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #47
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
That VTR250 that Honda sells in Japan really is a sharp looking bike. I would sell my Ninja to buy one in a heartbeat, but sadly...

-Jake
Might have mentioned this before, but I found a place in Japan where they would sell me one and ship it in pieces to me, easy to put back together, so it would fit in decent size boxes and shipped by Fedex or whoever.

The problem was registering it here, I looked into it and it was a hassle beyond belief. The new monster type VTR with fuel injection is the bomb to me, but yes,

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #48
Gonzo
Tarsnake charmer.

Oddometer: 1,335
There's a special place in my heart for the two-fiddy, I tried to log on to Tomi's site just to say "Hi", but no-go (I hadn't logged on for a year or so), so I googled, and this thread came up.

I had a 1990, picked it up in 2004, rebuilt it, painted it, rode the pants off of it.

It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow!

Peace,
Bob
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #49
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Info

Hey everyone,

Noticed this thread title and thought I would contribute. A 1988 VT250F (US VTR) was my housemate's first bike. This was a dog, it hadn't been looked after at all, and we spent months fixing it up. Then the day before we went to get a safety certificate, it began to belch out white smoke so we assumed it blew a headgasket, cut losses, sold it and moved on. But anyway heres some info:

US VTR250 Interceptor is very similar and practically the same as the VT250F, the version that Asia, Australian and perhaps England got.

My housemate lucked in and got an 88 model VT250F which was practically the same as the Jap-spec one: put out 45hp and had twin discs (rare) at the front. Photo of his below:

After selling it, he went and bought a Honda Spada, which wasn't ever sold in the states. Fantastic bike, used the same motor from the VT250F/VTR250 which similar HP but came with a full ridgid cast aluminium frame (CASTEC) which was significantly lighter and stiffer. Was also a naked bike. Photo of his Spada below:

Australia also gets the current VTR250, which uses the same engine as the rest but detuned, think it puts out about 34ish hp? Has the lovely trellis frame, as mentioned it looks like a mini monster. Great learners bike, looks great and fun to ride. Stock photo below (check out the sweet Staintune pipe):

Finally, I want to clear up the talk about the CBR250. The current CBR250 is NOTHING like the original CBR250Rs and RRs...apart from being a 250 I guess.

The old CBR250R's and RR's were race replica supersports, with incredibly high revving inline 4's...we're talking a 19,000RPM redline. All of the big 4 produced a bike similar to this (FZR250, ZXR250, GSX-R250) and were all 40-45ish hp (high power for a 250), high reving, inline four supersports.

The new CBR250 is completely different...yes it uses the CBR name but that's pretty much it. It's runs a single cylinder, puts out about 25ish hp and is designed a be a comfortable and easy way into learning how to ride a bike. You look like a mad dog racer, but power is tame and won't scare off learners. Definitely in no way comparable to the old CBR's.

Thought this might be of interest.

John
Captain115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #50
ExTex
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Hi John,

Thanks for the information and the photos.
If I just had a comfortable seat for my 1989 VTR250, I'd be most satisfied with it.

Ride Safely,
1985 Sabre 700.......Sold
1983 Shadow 500.... sold
2006 Ninja 500........ sold
ExTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #51
zDollar Bill
Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat

Oddometer: 958
My dad had so much fun riding my VTR he started to look for one. Now we both have one. On our ride home his battery went dead because of the reg/rect. He was all worried about how he would get the bike home. I said all we need is a fully charged battery that will fit and I know where to get one. He was puzzled as to where we would get one, being out in the middle of nowhere. I told him to take mine and disconnect the head light and use hand signals to turn. I bumped started mine with his battery and made it home 100 miles later.

zDollar Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #52
Ripshod
Prym8

Oddometer: 110
Greetings from East Tennessee.

It's located somewhere along Highway 61:
http://goo.gl/maps/XiK7z
1990 Honda VTR250 for scraping bar ends in the twists
2002 Kawasaki KL250 Super Sherpa for everything else

Ripshod screwed with this post 10-23-2013 at 01:28 PM
Ripshod is offline   Reply With Quote