Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzs View Post
Brand new riding gear, flash bike, why do new riders get bikes that are to fast for their capabilities.BECAUSE IT"S FUN.... speedy recovery mate.
Didn't look like much fun to me...

It's a good idea to think about what can happen at whatever speed you happen to be going, and it's generally considered "bad riding form" to collide with stationary objects while on a KTM.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and improved judgement.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 236
Classic control reversal of a panic stricken rider. Notice how at the end, in a moment of confusion, he effectively steers the handlebars away from the big rock, which causes it to "suck" him directly into it.

The trouble we all have a threat level that will cause us to panic. Experienced riders simply have a higher threat-to-panic level. I know I still have it, and fight it after 41 years of riding.

God, that has to be awfully sore and horrible way of healing. He has my greatest sympathy.
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #33
lemieuxmc
Banned

This thing you call panic... I do not understand this thing.

I don't always crash my motorcycle... but when I do, it isn't because I rode straight into a boulder.

Stay thirsty my friend.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #34
Unca Fud
nrpetersen

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
This thing you call panic... I do not understand this thing.

I don't always crash my motorcycle... but when I do, it isn't because I rode straight into a boulder.
Panic is when you focus your conscious energy on swerving around that thing in front of you by turning the handlebars away from it (i. e. steer instead of counter steer).

If the motorcycle missile world wanted to build a two wheeled missile intended to hit a target, the handlebars would be controlled in a manner that keeps trying to swerve around (turn away from) that target. I contend that m/c rider panic is when the swerve reflex takes over. It is a control paradox that surfaces when a rider is threatened by a life-or-death situation.

Many riding videos show that - an obstacle that should have been avoided based on sight lines etc, but wasn't.
Unca Fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #35
lemieuxmc
Banned

Unless it is a life or death situation... is it really a situation?

Stay thirsty my friend.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #36
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 92
WoW

Wow, I sure wish him a speedy and complete recovery. It is hard to believe that 2 broken arms could be lucky but after seeing that I am so happy its not worse. Get well soon.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #37
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
If that were me I'd delete the video because I'd wouldn't want to go through that again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery....
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #38
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Has "broken arms" seen this video yet? i mean it must suck to be him but atleast he broke his arms EPICLY! for the next few months he will be able to answer the question, "how did you break both arms" (as said in a stupid voice). I mean who runs headlong into a rock the size of a small house going 40mph+, then literally flies though the air 15 feet to smash into another huge rock?!?!

But dude im sorry. Ive never crashed to hard on my bike but i was a passenger of a truck that ran headlong into a tree going 40mph. its hard to sleep afterwards. you just go over it over and over again in your head. you just see that tree coming (in your case a house sized stone) and you know your going to hit it.

just try and laugh about it.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #39
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 828
Nasty. Saw the video and then found this thread. The fact it all goes black right at the moment of impact makes it seem even worse. I was wondering how the rider came out of that. It did not look good for him on the video. 2 broken arms I guess it good have been worse. Hope he has a full and speedy recovery. Did I mention that looked nasty?

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #40
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Obviously he was in no condition to ride back...Was this a 4x4 ride out of the riding area or a medivac helicopter ride? I've been on rides before when someone got injured and they were forced to ride out...had to swap bikes with another rider though. Riding a KX 125 to the nearest road while injured was easier than riding the CR 480 he rode in on.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country

Tech23 screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 11:01 PM
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 PM   #41
muddbutt
Pork Chop Expert

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
both arms are propped up in full casts. He cannot wipe himself. I hope he has a loving wife.
All he needs to do is drag his butt across the floor. My dog does it all the time.
muddbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #42
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,959
I didn't feel a thing

But more seriously both times I broke my leg one of my first thoughts was: "I'm supposed to work tonight" Yup sucks all ways 'round but those are the risks we accept when we go out to play the game.

I'll have a beer for your full recovery
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #43
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Good God, that was hard to watch, but watched it several times for selfish reasons - good to learn from the mistakes of others, so hopefully I don't repeat them.

Seemed like he was sitting down and cruising, and then he stood up and got on the gas. Looks like he saw the two rocks when he went off the trail, and went between them, only to nail the huge boulder, and then, to finalize the bad luck, landed on another large rock after leaving the bike.

Man, I feel for this guy. We have all blown it and left the trail at one time or another. Unfortunately for this guy, it was an incredibly bad spot to do so. Not sure what deflected him off the trail to begin with - it was not unusually rough. Probably just got on the gas a bit too much, chasing after his faster 2 stroke buddy and apparently pushing too hard. That is what I came away with - swallow pride, ride your own ride and keep on the smooth side and away from one's personal ragged edge, which is different for everyone.

Coincidentally, I just posted my own crash video in this forum. It has been awhile since I have had a truly hard impact off bike excusion. Got a bit complacent I think. Not complacent any more. Bikes - they are such effective teachers eh?

Heal well fellow rider. What a drag for you man. I hope you get back on your KTM someday and have fun with it, and not become another badly injured had to sell the bike statistic.

Duken4evr screwed with this post 04-14-2012 at 03:53 PM
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #44
HellSickle OP
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Seemed like he was sitting down and cruising, and then he stood up and got on the gas. Looks like he saw the two rocks when he went off the trail, and went between them, only to nail the huge boulder, and then, to finalize the bad luck, landed on another large rock after leaving the bike.
Looked to me like he got his front tire on the berm to the left. To maintain balance, he turned into it and got sucked off the trail. Kinda like riding in a rut.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #45
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Hope he is doing well. As a Paramedic/FF I felt sick to my stomach watching that. Very lucky to get away with only broken arms. Than God for that. A speedy recovery to you, and a lesson to all of us on how fast shit can happen to fuck you up.

Nacho

Ride safe all have a great summer!