Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Thumb 2014 Amageza Rallye Official Thread

Welcome to the Official AMAGEZA Cross Country Rallye 2014 Thread

A week on Sunday (2 Nov 2014) the Prologue will begin for the Motorsport South Africa (MSA) endorsed 2014 Amageza Rally.

The MSA is the South African Affiliation of the FIM Africa and FIM, which means this it will be the first succesfull, recognized, non-circuit, desert rally event in Southern Africa. (Supplementary documentation on this page)

Credit has to go to the founder of the Amageza, Mr. Alexander Nel and his very profesional organizational team who have worked tirelessly under sometimes very trying local conditions for 4 long years building this event up into what it is today.

This year, 78 Riders are going to brave the elements for 5 gruelling days in the desert. Last year only 17 riders out of 43 finished in a 3 day outride. The special stages are desert rally tests of the more technical variety with a bit of navigation, separated by long, technical liaisons, almost exclusively on dirt between a moving bivouac. So the liaisons are anything but boring are the reason why the event can be said to be one of the toughest rallies in Africa if not the world.

Most South Africans can no longer afford to do international rallies. This is good news for everyone else, because there has been a lot of focus on making this a really affordable event. With an entry fee of only $1,600 it has achieved that end and it is my hope we will see even more international riders entering next year. Importantly, it remains a well managed and controlled event complete with satellite tracking, medical evac., precision road books etc. as one would expect in any properly organized rally.

The Amageza Rally truely recaptures the African desert adventure spirit that Thierry Sabine loved so much. It´s just as tough & long, features fresh and invigorating new landscapes, new ergs to ride. It also promises more days in the coming years.

To our Australian brothers: I don´t believe the Amageza could ever replace the last Australasian Safari, but your tremendous hospitality to us "Saffa" riders at the Safari over the many years past has been most appreciated and its about time we offered you the same bladdy courtesy mates: We hope you will follow us in this year´s event, so perhaps next year you´ll bring it on and come ride with us, eh?!

A few links:

The Official Amageza Website - www.amageza.com Go straight to the fullscreen option for easy viewing. We understand there will be online satellite tracking of riders (to be confirmed).

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Amageza
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amageza.rallye

A few more useful links:

Motorsport South Africa
A whole bunch of parallel threads, bike builds, and Amageza 2014 prep stories here

Amageza 2013 story

A detailed experience of the Amageza 2012 with Kamanya. Amazing to think of how far it has come.

Below is the official teaser and something about the challenge to come. Please join us and follow along.

Objective

Stage 2

pic

Hoping you will all follow along and keep this thread moving, as I will be there too busy trying to follow a road book!
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 12:53 AM   #2
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,020
In,

I am not jealous I am not jealous I am not jealous I am not jealous I am not jealous I am not jealous

Stage 4, Springbok to Sutherland has to be your stage Neil The bike is painted like that so we expect so serious riding that day
Old 10-26-2014, 04:05 AM   #3
Sundowner
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,591
Wow, this really is an amazing event. I think this just got added to the list of stuff to have a go at one day. Impressive stages covering an amazing landscape. Can't wait to follow the riders if the live tracking happens as planned. Awesome is such an over-used word now, but there's nothing else to use to describe what this is developing into.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,958

The pr/media guy deserves a raise in salary, he is doing a great job

Blueballs, you racing?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:54 AM   #5
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post

The pr/media guy deserves a raise in salary, he is doing a great job

Blueballs, you racing?
Yip

Unfortunately work commitments means i have to bail out on Day 3, but at least I will get some dunes in.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:06 AM   #6
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,037
Good luck and have fun at the event Neil.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
Brink
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
Hi Neil and Alexander,
I wish you guys all of the best with promoting this internationally.
For the international competitor it will truly be a trip / ralley / experience of a lifetime at the lowest cost ever - make a plan next year everyone.

As Deadly99 says;

Blueballs.........

Sorry about work Niel - life gets in the way sometimes...
As it stands now I will only be able to get involved in 2016.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
tour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Good day Ladies and Gents

Kamanya and myself were fortunate enough to be two of the 17 finishers last year. Myself and two others are doing our fourth Amageza this year and to say that this rallye had grown from one mans' dream,that of Alex Nel, to a full on 5 day rallye is amazing to say the least. This rallye is a true test of skill and heart, with more than 50% dropout. You will be tested, you will be amazed, you will be awed and if you finish you will feel like you have concurred the near impossible and for six months you will feel on top of the world then for the next 6 months you ll be frothing at the bit in anticipation for the next one.

this year kamanya and myself will be the only two guys on 950's and there will be a lady rider too for the second time.
if you would like to experience Africa like no other come and do the Amageza and maybe a safari or holiday while you are here.

keep following
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #9
MaxThePanda
Psycho Panda

Oddometer: 82
I'll be one of the Gezavirgins this year! Can't wait...
MaxThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 AM   #10
ROKIT_71
Gone Orange

Oddometer: 219
Watching with much interest!
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Crossed-up
Pangaman

Oddometer: 21
I'm one of the marshals. We also have our own little marathon to run. Each morning we have to be in position before the leg can be started. This might mean a dash of a couple of hundred kilometers in the early hours of the morning to get to the start of the special before the riders set off from the bivouac.

Thursday we pick up the official vehicles. Then we brand them, load up the truck, the big trailer etc and Friday we trek to Upington, some 800km of dreary asphalt. Saturday's scrutineering will be a long day to get through all the bikes, the riders and their equipment. I hope everyone will be really cool and take the chance to relax and draw breath.
Crossed-up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossed-up View Post
I'm one of the marshals. We also have our own little marathon to run. Each morning we have to be in position before the leg can be started. This might mean a dash of a couple of hundred kilometers in the early hours of the morning to get to the start of the special before the riders set off from the bivouac.

Thursday we pick up the official vehicles. Then we brand them, load up the truck, the big trailer etc and Friday we trek to Upington, some 800km of dreary asphalt. Saturday's scrutineering will be a long day to get through all the bikes, the riders and their equipment. I hope everyone will be really cool and take the chance to relax and draw breath.
The Marshals are awesome! I wonder what vehicles you will be getting!

I will one will be slepping most likely

Major stress for me this afternoon reorgnising flights. They stopped me from getting on the plane at the gate in Madrid to RSA via Heathrow because I dont have a friggin visa AAAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Now im flying through Paris and arriving later tomorrow, with the spectre of trying to organize a new itinerary that fits in with a ride from Sprinkbok to CT on the same day and still gets me back to Europe on time.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Dingaan
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thanks for posting this Neil, and to the other entrants of the 2014 Amageza Cross-Country Rallye.

Been working balls-to-the-wall to get the road-books finished. Now just a couple of hundred thousand of invoices to pay, then off to the start of the race.

Keep your eye on amageza.com and on youtube amageza.tv. We will do our best to keep the updates rolling as it happens!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #14
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 877
Wie's Dingaan?
Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #15
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
Wie's Dingaan?
Dingaan is Mr. Amageza himself

Check out his sig line, which I can confirm is true.