Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #76
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,260
Thanks, I ended up skipping mine though. Couple of reasons, the main one being that I got something in my eye on Thursday and think I scratched it or something, dunno but can't/won't put a contact in it with it hurting. Goggles aren't the kind you wear glasses with so that's out.

The other reason is they've had it posted for months but never posted a schedule. 3 other guys that were going to go to the race 1. was miffed at no schedule 2. resting up his knee for next weekend 3. just put in an autoclutch and it's not ready or dialed in or something.

Bummer thing is the schedule sounds awesome. All classes are running individually for a 3 lap race. My buddy who is there(and called us all wimps for not going) txted me about it. He's running in two classes as well, said the track was a wide open highway. No idea why they never posted a schedule after multiple requests from multiple people but pretty sure they would have had a lot more people show up if they knew what format was being run.

I dunno, it's like people don't want to promote things. We have two bike get togethers this weekend, 1 at K&N today and a vintage bike meet at Brookside motor company on Sunday. I just found out about them on Friday and put the thread so that everyone could see it on TSR. I could have had that up for weeks. Also saw nothing on facebook about it either. Just doesn't make sense to me sometimes. With as many ways to promote stuff via the internet, lots of shops/events just don't take advantage of it at all.

Ah well, riding next weekend hopefully. Also Gruber hare scramble is on, I'll probably go take more pictures and whatnot.

Cheers!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #77
novaboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Bummer about the race Silver, and the eye, hope it heals up fast. I find around here there are not a lot of races to begin with, most are over in the next province, so its a bit of a drive. Nova Scotia definitely has a more organized off road racing and riding association compared to New Brunswick where I am. There is a good dual-sport club here and their forum is a good place to find out whats going on.

You would think that race organizers would do as much as they can to attract more people to an event, doesn't make sense.

I got out for a little, very little ride today. There's a short 1/2km single track loop across the street from my house that I went for a spin on, lots of roots, and some tight corners. The little XR just ran over it all, what a difference from riding a mountain bike. I'll try and get some GoPro video of it this week.

The 250R is a good little bike, starts up pretty easy 2nd or 3rd kick when its cold and first kick when its warmed up. It's also very easy to ride, I felt comfortable almost right away, with very manageable power, although I really have nothing to compare it to, other than the street/dual-purpose bikes I've been on.

https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #78
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Sorry to hear about the injury and promoter issues, silver. It seems as though we have it pretty good here with D16 being very active as well as an entirely separate series.

Everything is packed, the roam is set up on the helmet, and I even had yerocwife help measure sag tonight. Time for some rest, I'll check in when it's over.
Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #79
yeroc40
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Thanks again to everyone for the good tips and advice. I am definately hooked.

I met the goal of finishing the whole race sans injury. Actually finished 17 of 28 in class and 64 overall out of 89 riders. I missed another lap by 40 seconds, but looking at my lap times, that last lap was over 3 minutes longer than any other, so I was pretty spent either way.

I am mighty sore this morning. I've done a lot of mountain biking and the analogy is a good one, but it is more of a full body endurance, not just legs and lungs. I could tell that my concentration was fatiguing as well. I really had to repeat to myself "keep looking down the trail", "don't stare at that stump" etc.

At one point there was a jam on one of the steeper hills and I put my leg down to stop and my calf instantly cramped up. A none too subtle reminder that I have a camelbak on, I should be drinking it.

A little maintenance this week and its off for a second round next Sunday.
yeroc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #80
Silver
Dirtnewb

Sweet! Sounds like you had an awesome time.. Eye was feeling better by Sat. afternoon thanks for the well wishes. Most races around are pretty well setup with ATV Motion, OCCRA, and BlackJack enduro series. No biggy really I'll just stick to my original plan and start up in the fall season probably. Will give me more time to get into shape as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #81
David_Moen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
I missed another lap by 40 seconds, but looking at my lap times, that last lap was over 3 minutes longer than any other, so I was pretty spent either way.

Way to go!

I was scorekeeping at our clubs's first race yesterday. There were a few people in the amateur classes that we told were past cut-off before the clock said it was over. Some were so spent that if we sent them out on another lap, the sweepers would be carrying them off of the mountain!

Did you get a T-shirt?
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #82
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
. Will give me more time to get into shape as well.

no better way to get in shape than racing!!! plus the racing will tell you EXACTLY what areas of fitness you need to work on. get out there, get started, get addicted...you only live once, dont procrastinate, roost it up man!!

The anxiety, nerves, anticipation, uncertainty, adrenaline and excitement is all part of the experience and what makes it fun. PLus you get some great campfire stories
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 AM   #83
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeroc40 View Post
Thanks again to everyone for the good tips and advice. I am definately hooked.

I met the goal of finishing the whole race sans injury. Actually finished 17 of 28 in class and 64 overall out of 89 riders. I missed another lap by 40 seconds, but looking at my lap times, that last lap was over 3 minutes longer than any other, so I was pretty spent either way.

I am mighty sore this morning. I've done a lot of mountain biking and the analogy is a good one, but it is more of a full body endurance, not just legs and lungs. I could tell that my concentration was fatiguing as well. I really had to repeat to myself "keep looking down the trail", "don't stare at that stump" etc.

At one point there was a jam on one of the steeper hills and I put my leg down to stop and my calf instantly cramped up. A none too subtle reminder that I have a camelbak on, I should be drinking it.

A little maintenance this week and its off for a second round next Sunday.
That's a good result.

There's a fair bit you can do with bike setup and riding style to reduce fatigue, but it is a lot tougher than mountainbiking.

On the camelbak, what I used to do (and the guys I knew who raced) was to drill a hole in the chinguard of the helmet and thread the camelbak hose through. You can drink whenever you want without having to take your hand off the bars. It sounds more drastic than it is as there is usually a plastic grill/vent in the front of the chinguard so you're not compromising the helmet.

Using energy drink rather than water can help too.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #84
novaboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I've gone and done it now, just signed up for a 75km enduro at the end of June. It's a fundraiser for breast cancer, so since my wife, unfortunately lost her mother to that a number of years ago, I was given the green light without any issue.

So I have just under 2 months to improve my riding and get into bike shape. After riding at the local sandpit/track for an hour I need to incorporate more anaerobic work into my schedule, all I've been doing is long distance running. So short interval training is needed, and some more upper body work. Stand up paddle boarding is helping a lot, but time to get more consistant with push ups and pull ups.

Looking at my schedule I have quite a bit of time off so I'll be able to get in a fair amount of riding, hopefully 4-5 days a week for an hour or two.

I'll post up a little GoPro vid from today a little later. It will be my second time on the bike so far.

Am I nuts? Two days of riding on a dirt bike and I go sign up for an enduro........WTF.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #85
novaboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

http://youtu.be/sDysFv1ixVY

A little clip of the newbie riding today, great little pit area close to home to kill an hour or so.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #86
novaboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys,

I'm going to change this thread to "Mid-Life Crisis Racing" since there are a couple of us in the same situation and we can continue to share our experiences and learn from each others mistakes, triumphs, and hear from the season veterans.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18622432

novaboy screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 04:00 AM
Old 05-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #87
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,365
Last weekend, we had our 1st district hare scramble of the year. We had had close to 4 inches of rain the week before so the course was wet. The soil was predominantly sand, so not so much standing water as there was better traction in some areas, looser in others. Plus the mud was not as heavy and it shook off easier than the super sticky clay mud.

Anyways, the fastest guys stayed on the pegs and attacked the wet sections aggressively. The slower guys, slowed down and tried to pick their way through. They ended up getting stuck and a couple buried their bikes to the point of needed long branches to pry their bikes up high enough to lift them out.

For the 2 hour A/B race, the fastest guys did 6 laps (9ish mile course), the bulk of the pack did 4 laps.

Someone above said that 'racing is the best way to get in shape.' That is some bad advice right there.

If a person rides a desk all week and then gets on a bike on weekends, their fitness level will not be good enough to finish a 1 hour race, let alone a 2 hour. Do some cardio during the week, ride a bicycle, stand and pedal on all the uphills, work up a good sweat. The guys that do that do not look like they are on death's door at the end of a race. They also crash less.

I never put anything in my camelback but water. Anything else will promote mold growth during the week (much harder to clean.) I do have gatorade or the equivalent in my pits so I can slug some down during gas stops.

As one gets more interested in doing better, you start watching what you eat and drink all week. For me, that means no pop or coffee during race season. I drink lots of water during the week to stay hydrated for my job, so adding during the week is hard. The morning of a race, I drink a quart of OJ. I usually will drink a 100 oz camelback during a race (if it is an enduro, I fill it at gas, so I will drink 2, I will also drink a quart of gatorade at gas, eat a sandwich and a banana. )

If you get cramps on the drive home or that night when you go to bed, you did not drink enough that day or you drink pop and ended up pissing away everything you drank.

The day after a race, I drink a bunch and I also do a good yoga routine and a long bike ride. I am really stiff and sore the next day and a good stretch and light bike ride really, really help with recovery.

Watch your hands for blisters. If you ride a desk during the week, you will have a problem with blisters. Get some glove liners and switch to dry gloves when you can. My hands are/were calloused very well and blisters have never been a problem for me. They were for my daughter, so she carried extra gloves in her fanny pack. She usually wears 2-3 pair per race.

The best advice I got when I started was, "when in doubt, twist the grip."
Old 05-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #88
Silver
Dirtnewb

Great advice barnyard. We have a new thread rolling now though. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18622432

Just letting you know.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #89
novaboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Really good advice Barnyard, if you don't mind I'll copy your last post and add to our new thread.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #90
dpickl00
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi guys, first post here. I was searching online last night and ran across this post. I know its a little dated, but there is a lot of great info within this post. My main inquiry was in reference to the bext XC dirt bike. I've had a couple of Kawasaki MX bikes in the past, but outside of that, I'm pretty clueless with regard to what makes a good XC dirt bike, so I really appreciate this post.

My main question is for Silver and I hope he see's this...I noticed that you are in the Tulsa, OK area. I actually live in BA and work just down the road from K&N...anyway, my main question is, would you recommend any groups to get involved with in the area for someone who is interested in getting started in the racing scene in Oklahoma? I don't know anyone that rides dirt bikes in the Tulsa area, so I'm trying to put out some feelers for fellow riders in the area. When I lived in Arkansas, I had a couple of friends that raced GNCC events, but they are more than two hours away from me, and I haven't talked to them in probably 6 years, so that really doesn't help.

For a long time, I have been wanting to start racing harescrambles, enduros, etc. I raced Mtn. Bikes as an Expert/Cat1 and Road Bikes as a Cat 2 at the national level for 6 years before going to college and starting a family. I spent 9 years working in bike shops, and while growing up, I always rode dirt bikes and quads, just never raced. Dirt bikes were always part of my cross-training regiment and a very enjoyable break to the 4-8 hours a day I would spend on the bicycle. However, I've decided now that I want to turn the tables and race dirt bikes, while using my Mountain/Road Bike fitness to my advantage.

Does anyone else on here have any prior Mtn. Bike experience? If so, how much did it help you on a dirt bike in the woods?
dpickl00 is offline   Reply With Quote