Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #16
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
Right on top of the helmet. I make losey videos, but when I was going through Central America it worked really well when corrupt cops would pull us over. You would see the cop walking up to us with his eyes looking at the box on top of my head. Then you could see his expression change as if he was saying "Oh shit, it's a camera." Then he would ask to see our passport and glance at it and say, "Enjoy your stay in Honduras." Then give the passport back. I bet that was not what was on their mind when they pulled us over. Dave
Nice, I've often thought about a camera having this impact, but had never heard of a real world example until now.

Give it ten years and we'll have cameras wirelessy streaming, along with our GPS position, to our own webspace on the cloud and we'll be another step close to a true Personal Memex. Even at that stage, it should hopefully start to decrease muggings/corruption. Particularly when they realise that conviscating the camera won't conviscate the evidence.

All you have to do is share your cloud storage access with a trusted friend back at base and if anything happens to you they will be able to see what happened to you. A huge deterrent for the bad guys.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Here seems as good a place as any to ask, how do I put a standard RAM ball in place of my F800GS's mirrors. IE keep the same switchgear, but just replace the stock mirror stalk with a RAM ball?

I have bought tonnes of RAM bits and a set of these (Adaptor A - to fit F800GS), but still can't rig anything up that fits in the exact place.

Has anyone else managed this on an F800GS and if so, which parts did you use exactly?

I'm hoping to replace my OE mirrors with two ram balls mounted in these locations (IE going into the exact same holes as the OE mirrors). Idea being, I could then mount a Double Take Mirror on one side and a RAM arm to hold the Go Pro on the other when filming. When I'm done filming, I could whip of the camera mount and replace it with a second Double Take Mirror in seconds.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
deguoren
该出手时就出手

Oddometer: 161
I use a normal water tight and shock resistant SONY camera, not a Go pro. As I like to turn it on and of I put it on the handle bar with a HAMA Bike pod. Thats a nice piece of kit which sells for something like 15 Euros. Works on almost every bike. I always take it with me on holidays and put it on rental bikes as well.

Here you see a mounting example on the net:
http://www.foto-zubehoer-magazin.de/...r555_prfd2.jpg
Do what you love, and do it often. If you don’t like something, change it. If you don’t like your job, quit. Travel often; getting lost will help you find yourself. Some opportunities only come once; seize them. Life is about the people you meet and the things you create with them, so go out and start creating. Live your dream, and wear your passion. Life is short."
deguoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #19
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
Here seems as good a place as any to ask, how do I put a standard RAM ball in place of my F800GS's mirrors. IE keep the same switchgear, but just replace the stock mirror stalk with a RAM ball?

I have bought tonnes of RAM bits and a set of these (Adaptor A - to fit F800GS), but still can't rig anything up that fits in the exact place.

Has anyone else managed this on an F800GS and if so, which parts did you use exactly?

I'm hoping to replace my OE mirrors with two ram balls mounted in these locations (IE going into the exact same holes as the OE mirrors). Idea being, I could then mount a Double Take Mirror on one side and a RAM arm to hold the Go Pro on the other when filming. When I'm done filming, I could whip of the camera mount and replace it with a second Double Take Mirror in seconds.
Go toe the double take web site. they sell the adapter for the mirror to do what you want. http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build/bmw Too easy.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #20
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
I finished with my boom mount off the back on the bike.

Untitled

Untitled

i can move it to get whatever shot i want.

Untitled

I know its pretty ridiculous, but i think it will make for good movies. i cant leave it on all the time its too long.

this is an unedited video i took with it. its still bouncy, but i will need to mount it better when i get a rear rack.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #21
Casejeep OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
here is what it looks like in uses. its a pain to ride with but you can take it off when you arent filming.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
nathan8315
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I always mount to my helmet. One helmet I have mounted it on the left side and the other directly on top. I have tried mounting to the bike, which works awesome on the road, but offroad it is aweful. Gets bounced around and you can't really tell what is going on a lot of the time. Has anyone had success with a bike mounted camera offroad?

nathan8315 screwed with this post 04-02-2012 at 11:36 AM
nathan8315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #23
replicant
consummate n00b

Oddometer: 97
Helmet-mount is the most useful view IMO. Watching the footage later, it's more interesting than bike-mount views which are totally static. Ideally you capture a bunch of different views, and when cycling through them in your edited video, use helmet views the most.

I've found mounting to a motorcycle is tricky, because a lot of locations get too much vibration for good video (stills are fine). Handlebars or any type of boom tend to be too vibey, but frame, crashbars, forks all work well. One you can try is adding a strip of old inner tube under bar-clamp type mounts, that helps somewhat.
replicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #24
Spinalcracker
former redriderofma

Oddometer: 1,084
Any mount on the handle bars or front end will pick up ALL the little jittery vibration from the shocks.

I like the helmut mount for stability and angle of view. Plus people look at you like your an alien.

I tried the chest mount this past weekend and had too much of the bike when I was sitting but was great while standing.

Any where on the crash bars or luggage rack were very stable as long as the mount was no too long.
Vermont Covered Bridges
Spinalcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,675
I use helmet.... But for kicks ...I mounted my other camera on the crach bar.... I know...smart... Not happen again..... Anyway here is the video....
">
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:12 AM   #26
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,475
I just love the quality of this.

how long does it last? heard about 6hours... Is that realistic or just some crap to sell it?
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #27
too old for dirt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
+1 on the helmet mount. Give you flexibility to move the camera to view not just straight ahead, but side to side as well.
too old for dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #28
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
I just love the quality of this.

how long does it last? heard about 6hours... Is that realistic or just some crap to sell it?
I usually run out of chip...as I shoot at 1080p all the time...but on one charge...... I get at least a 3 hrs...

Erling
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
I usually run out of chip...as I shoot at 1080p all the time...but on one charge...... I get at least a 3 hrs...

Erling
Chip sizes come up to 32gig. Just picked one up at office depot on sale. I think not was $59.

Pretty sure that'll do 3 hrs of vid on 1080p. Battery will go that long.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #30
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Chip sizes come up to 32gig. Just picked one up at office depot on sale. I think not was $59.

Pretty sure that'll do 3 hrs of vid on 1080p. Battery will go that long.
I take clips of.....about 20-30 minutes each.... But totaling them all... I think I have 3 hrs.... 2 for sure. In short I have never run out of battery on the gopro.... On my 1080p contour on the other hand.... always 90 minutes.... then switch battery....

Erling