User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 306
Pardon my noobieness..

Off the subject, anyone know how to move this thread back over in ride reports? Not sure why it was moved to Day tripping, seems like a bit more then a day trip to me??
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #17
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 91
Subscribed

Great start and excellent pictures. Makes me want to pack a bag.
dondesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Very nice stuff,pics are great,nice to just blast out of Auburn and end up way the heck out there.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #19
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
weird to see someone so stoked about where i live... you flew here the whole way from the USA to do stuff that some days i cant be bothered doing. like today, i was off and couldve gone for a rip up the coast road and to bushmills or portstewart for lunch but just chilled in the house instead of going for a ride. shouldnt be so lazy. although im sure if i came to where you live id be like "this is awesome" and you'd be like "meh"

i live where the dot on your map that says "craigavon" is. i lived in portstewart for a few years too (did you go there, its near bushmills) and its nice around the north coast for sure.

when you were in bushmills did you check out anything else local? carrick-a-reed rope bridge, whiskey distillery tour etc really worth seeing. also lots of other worthwhile stuff nearby to there like magilligan point and the old monastry, also portballintrae is right by bushmills and has a gorgeous beach. the north coast really has LOADS to see.

you didnt know who joey dunlop was, pretty much the most legendary road racer ever. he was from ballymoney. hence the joey centre, park, statue, pub etc. you said youd post more details about him later but id say most people will probably know who he is lol
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #20
exile730
exile730

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
weird to see someone so stoked about where i live... you flew here the whole way from the USA to do stuff that some days i cant be bothered doing. like today, i was off and couldve gone for a rip up the coast road and to bushmills or portstewart for lunch but just chilled in the house instead of going for a ride. shouldnt be so lazy. although im sure if i came to where you live id be like "this is awesome" and you'd be like "meh"

i live where the dot on your map that says "craigavon" is. i lived in portstewart for a few years too (did you go there, its near bushmills) and its nice around the north coast for sure.

when you were in bushmills did you check out anything else local? carrick-a-reed rope bridge, whiskey distillery tour etc really worth seeing. also lots of other worthwhile stuff nearby to there like magilligan point and the old monastry, also portballintrae is right by bushmills and has a gorgeous beach. the north coast really has LOADS to see.

you didnt know who joey dunlop was, pretty much the most legendary road racer ever. he was from ballymoney. hence the joey centre, park, statue, pub etc. you said youd post more details about him later but id say most people will probably know who he is lol
my ex was from Loughall and I had a few good visits over there. I should have taken my bike over and done the round Ireland run myself but I never made the time to do it. It is always the same - we tend to overlook the places on our doorstep until we move on. I live too far away now to make it happen I reckon. Oh bugger.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
Forde
Studly Adventurer

aye i remember you mentioning that in that other thread! im in portadown, like 10 mile from loughgall im sure you were here at some point. i could literally go to these places every weekend it only takes like 1 to 1.5 hours to ride to bushmills from my house depending on traffic. but i dont. i need to get out more!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
kevinsinvegas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Looks like a great plan

Enjoying your RR, thanks for posting up!

fjr1300 - Sold
KTM 530 EXC - Rockn' it!
kevinsinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #23
Forde
Studly Adventurer

your RR has inspired me to not be so lazy next weekend and get up to the north coast! i have let things slide, havent been out for a few weeks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #24
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Forde- I totally agree with finding it difficult to get excited about local stuff, I take quite a bit for granted where I live. I think even if you live near spectacular landscapes, it's still stuff you've seen before so there's no adventure of sense of discovery. Kinda kills the motivation. As for the North coast, I'm a little embarrassed to say I missed out on quite a bit of the landmarks you mentioned. The only things I did was grab a few beers in the town of Bushmills, hit the giant's causeway and wander around in Dunluce Castle. Made it to the rope bridge parking lot but didn't feel like hiking dressed like a spaceman with a backpack. Plus I was kind of pushing the pace the first two days until I fell into a more relaxed groove of riding and finally took time to see more stuff. I already have my dad on board to ride Ireland again with me next year so I'll get another chance at what I missed. As for Joey Dunlop, yes, now I finally I do know who he is but I honestly hadn't heard of him before hand. My only excuse is I don't watch tv plus I even if I did I don't think they give bike racing much airtime in the states unfortunately. But yeah, I do explain where I got my Dunlop education later in the trip, it all comes full circle

FootDragger- Good to hear from a local!! I love Chico, been thrown out of a few bars there in my younger years. It was indeed good to get out and ride elsewhere, Ireland is a new favorite. Although, it's still tough to beat highway 1 going north or Mosquito Ridge road in Foresthill. We have some good stuff in our backyard.

-T
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #25
99sleepyhollow
JOEY DUNLOP 26 TT WINS

Oddometer: 252
You have inspired me too to get off my lazy ass , get the big KTM outta the garage and head off round Ireland with my gear strapped to the back of the bike .
Joey Dunlop is without doubt the greatest ever road racer of all time with 26 TT wins and a true gent .
If your coming back this way you might want to try and take in a road race , there's nothing like , superbikes doing up to 200mph on country roads and your only a few feet away as they fly past . The North West 200 is the biggest road race here and is ran in May every year .
I am looking forward to hear the rest of your trip .
99sleepyhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:09 AM   #26
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Argg! I am incredibly jealous of your trip. My grandmother came from County Kerry and last year I became an Irish citizen (just because I could) in anticipation of traveling there in 2013. Well we all know about "best laid schemes" and how they can "gang aft agley." So it is off to Alaska instead, maybe Ireland in 2014!

Looking forward to more pictures, especially from the Kerry area.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #27
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
I have never heard of Joey Dunlop until this thread. Of course that is probably because I have never followed motorcycle racing...

I did do a bit of reading about him last night. Quite an accomplished rider!

I love learning new things on this site....

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,012
Great RR! Any chance of your take on the bike? How does it compare to the Beemer you ended up buying?

Cheers.

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

McRuss - Kerry County is coming up, probably the most beautiful views from the Dingle peninsula and all the way down and around the ring. Love Kerry County even if the people there talk waaay too fast

Live2ridetahoe - Good to see another male RN, our profession needs all the testosterone we can get...

Squonker - A quick impression of the tiger vs the gs.. I would say the tiger is faster(I think), smoother throttle and has suspension that really likes tarmac. The GS is a little snappier w the throttle at low speeds, lower center of gravity and feels to me more like my xr650l with the low speed balancing and suspension. Only complaint is the style of buttons they used for the horn and turn indicators, not ergonomically friendly, practically have to look down every time to use, not a natural location or action. The biggest reasons why I went with the gs were it's an older design that theoretically has most of the bugs worked out, they already had a helluva track record for longevity and of course who can beat the esthetics of the triple black

Ok, sorry, got sidetracked.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
BRUTSQD OP
2 scoops of stupid

Day Three

Day Three
Donegal to Westport.
In hindsight I wished I had done a little better job taking pictures of the towns I stayed in. Seems like every time I finally arrived at where I was going to stay, I got completely focused on wandering around town and looking for food and beer. I absolutely loved Donegal, it was a small but absolutely beautiful little town that had it's own heartbeat at night. The downtown area had tons of bars and restaurants to match any taste. A river ran around the outside that I didn't even know what there as I rolled into town after sunset. Cool place, wish I had better pictures to show for it.

The more I stay at bed and breakfasts here the more I never want to stay in a hotel again. My B&B experience, particularly here in Ireland, has been a wonderful and intimate experience with the culture. Hotels seem sterile and quite cold by comparison. Each place I stayed throughout the trip was more like staying at a relative's house where you're hanging out and eating with a family then simply renting a room for the night. Great way to get a feel for the people. I'd much rather give my cash to a family then reward best western for building a turd of a hotel in an otherwise beautiful town.

This morning in particular felt very liberating, I think it simply took me a few days to forget about home and stress enough to relax and fully appreciate where I was and what I was doing. Having spent many a nights reading ride reports, I've noticed it seems like everyone gets a little philosophical when you're isolated with your brain locked inside a helmet for a few days straight. Today I could feel myself getting a little weird and being very at peace with being so. Tarmac.

May and Pat

Not long at all after jumping on the N15 South I noticed over my right shoulder a rather large castle off in the distance that looked reasonably intact. I had just began my day and was excited to put some miles behind me but felt that subtle feeling in my gut like this might be worth investigating. Hung a right at the next road and got lost, as per usual.

I was making progress on getting closer to the castle but still felt like I was missing a road somewhere, keep exploring. Came to an intersection with 3 roads, a driveway and a couple of people on the side of the road digging holes and planting flowers. The driveway gate was locked, hung a left to try to get closer to the castle, waved at the couple and rolled the throttle. Found myself driving out on the finger of a small peninsula with the castle disappearing in my mirror. Eventually the road curved around the peninsula and I found myself back at the intersection where the couple were working on the flowerbeds. I passed them one more time disappointed with not being able to get to the castle and started back towards the highway. Wait, what the heck. Flipped a u-turn, killed the engine and rolled up next to the couple. "Hi there! What's the story with the castle over there?" What followed was one of my favorite experiences on the trip. May and Pat walked up, put down their shovels and told me all about the castle, the peninsula and the Tidytown project they were working on for the Tidytown competition that was going on in Ireland.

The history was fascinating, especially for someone coming from a town where a victorian house is a big deal. After talking a while, they took a break from working on the tidytown project and invited me to their house for coffee and toast. May is a retired teach and Pat is a retired cop. I would be willing to move to Ireland just to have them as neighbors, absolutely wonderful people. As it turns out May and her sister went over to the UK to dig in the libraries to research the history of the castle, peninsula and harbor. With the info they found a book was written on the history which she gave me a copy of Amazing people and beautiful house. May and Pat, thanks again!

Ok, sorry about all the writing, today meant a lot to me. Back to pictures.

Didn't make it far before I saw another shiny object and went chasing butterflies. Hey a waterfall! I love getting lost...

Holy crap it's getting late, check out a map, Westport it is.

Lunchies

Finally rolled into town. Apply the formula: Get a beer and ask the bartender if they have a room. Success.

Happiness is a Guiness after a long days ride.

Next: Wide open places, nature showing off and my favorite picture of the trip.

Westport to Galway