User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
ATC Crazy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Tiger(s) vs. Multistrada 1200

Hello everyone. Newbie alert. Anyways, the time has come to sell my current bike...an '08 FZ1. My brother is buying it and it will be gone mid-April. So the search has been on for at least a month now for a replacement.

I wanted the KTM 990 SM-R. Closest dealer is over 2 hours away, and to be honest, there is no way it's worth $14k+ for a SM. Then, I read about the VFR1200F. Looked like the perfect bike for me (on paper)...that is, until I rode one. The only model they had was the DCT (auto). Very, very, very weird feeling riding an automatic bike So I thought I could just put the transmission out of the picture and focus on the egro's and handling. Well....nothing stood out. I guess you could call it bland. I really wish I could have rode the 6-spd for a better view on the whole machine.

So, I met my dad at the Triumph/BMW dealer last weekend and the Tiger 800XC caught my eye. Although the 1050 is only a few hundred more, and it gets rid of the spoked wheels. I sat on the 800XC, and it felt very good. Well, during the past week of researching...I found the Ducati. Holy cow, I am in love! The nearest Ducati dealer is well over 3 hours away though. But I need to sit on/ride one before I make up my mind.
So far, it's:
1) Ducati
2) Tiger 1050
3) Tiger 800XC

I haven't rode any of these...so I could come to hate them after a test-ride though.

So what's the good, bad, and the ugly about these models? Every bike has it's flaws. Some can't be fixed, some I can live with, and some I can't. I can't read though 700+ pages on the 800XC, or 200 pages on the Ducati.
I LOVE my FZ1...don't get me wrong. However I would like somthing a little more comfortable for longer rides. After an hour on the FZ, I'm looking for a place to stop. I ride about 99% street. I'm looking at these bikes, because I want to start exploring more. I don't want to turn around when the pavement turns into gravel/dirt.

Mandatory pics?

ATC Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
here is the cliff notes version:

the tiger 800 xc will be the best on dirt and light off road

the tiger 1050 and ducati are similar in style, the difference is the motor

if you want an upright superbike then the ducati is it, but don't test drive one if you're not ready

all of them different from the fz, and all great bikes

I have a ducati multistrada 1200 and have done 700 mile days, track days, crap dirt roads and commute on it - its a great bike and has been pretty trouble free for almost 28k miles
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
I've ridden all of them. Here's my quick summary:

T800XC - Nice bike, but not for long slab runs, at least not for me. The one I rode had a high frequency buzz in the bars at freeway speeds that drove me nuts within minutes. Maybe it could be solved with isolated mounts, etc. Big flywheel, so it was slower to spin up (for passing, etc), but it made for great low-speed plonking.

T1050 - Another nice bike! Love LOVE the motor. If the Explorer truly is like the 1050 just "more", oh la la. Great handling, nimble, felt well planted, good power for passing....all around goodness. No off-road pretense. Early ones had some quality/reliability issues, but I think those have long since been sorted.

Ducati MTS12 - it's a freakin' riot. It will run with anything road-legal and trounce most. 0-60 < 3 sec (provided you can keep the front end down). Power wheelie in 1-3rd gears. Then, with a button press, it can become a 100HP pussycat that tootles around town without a complaint. It's also surprisingly competent off tarmac. You can turn ABS and DTC off and go nuts if you want, or leave them engaged but turned way down and be amazed at how good it goes AND stops in dirt and gravel. But it's brittle, and stupidly expensive to fix when you fall down if you don't protect it (but then so is a BMW). 10k miles on mine and I'm still enjoying it. Dealer is 30 miles away and has been awesome.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:38 PM   #4
justintyme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I went from an 06 Fz1 to a Tiger 1050, and wouldnt go back!
justintyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
I just sold my 08 FZ1 and purchased a 800XC in Feb. First thing you will notice is the loss of power. That being said, the XC has ample power and I couldn't be happier. For me it is much more comfortable and I am actually looking forward to trips longer than my daily commute.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy View Post
. Well, during the past week of researching...I found the Ducati. Holy cow, I am in love! The nearest Ducati dealer is well over 3 hours away though.
Worth serious consideration given the electronics on the MTS12S (less so for the Standard version).

Good luck with the hunt,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
bokibd
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Versys 1000 :-) best bike for less mony
bokibd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Ducati MTS12 - it's a freakin' riot. It will run with anything road-legal and trounce most. 0-60 < 3 sec (provided you can keep the front end down). Power wheelie in 1-3rd gears. Then, with a button press, it can become a 100HP pussycat that tootles around town without a complaint. It's also surprisingly competent off tarmac. You can turn ABS and DTC off and go nuts if you want, or leave them engaged but turned way down and be amazed at how good it goes AND stops in dirt and gravel. But it's brittle, and stupidly expensive to fix when you fall down if you don't protect it (but then so is a BMW). 10k miles on mine and I'm still enjoying it. Dealer is 30 miles away and has been awesome.

-SM
I agree with this assessment. The bike is a blast to ride, has good protection, and a very good riding position. I almost bought one but reliability and longevity are very high on my list when shopping for a new bike. The general consensus seems to be that Ducati is not as reliable as Yamaha. Ducati dealerships are few and far between and a problem can sideline you longer than I can handle. You might want to consider the Super Tenere as well. That is what I ended up with even though I was thoroughly impressed by the Ducati.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
.........and of course there is a Tiger 1050 'sport' in the offing - which presumably will be Trumpets' answer to the Multistrada for less bucks

I have ridden the XC 800, Multistrada & 1050 in Speed trip guise........... not an easy decision. I would love a Ducati but the servicing costs look like being very expensive. The XC is a great bike with RTW potential. The 1050 is in between - so I guess 1050 wins IMO

ATC Crazy - Thanks for posting this as I have a similar dilemma

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #10
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
I would love a Ducati but the servicing costs look like being very expensive.
FWIW it looks like my servicing costs on the MTS12 will be lower than my BMW R12GS. Maybe that's not saying much, but I think folks have the idea that the Duc is more expensive than others to maintain. With 7.5k mile oil changes (you can do this yourself at home and save $$) and 15k mile valve inspections, it's not that bad to look after.

-SM
Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #11
ATC Crazy OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the information everyone.

I'm starting to believe that the 800XC won't be enough for me, and the narrow front tire has me worried about the corners. I love to hit the corners hard and fast (and lets face it, sometimes a corner will sneek up and scare ya too). I won't do enough off-road riding to really justify the bikes capabilities.

I was so focused on the 800XC, that I never really paid much attention to the 1050's. My fault for not thinking, I know. The one's they had were decked out with bags and luggage (something I do not want).

The Ducati, on paper, is everything I want. Performance and comfort in one? Sign me up! The advanced electronics has me a little concerned with the dealership being so far away. But I do ALL my own work. Short of the engine blowing up, or a ECU meltdown...the bike will NEVER see a shop. My FZ hasn't been back to the dealership since I bought it in '08, and none of my ATV's have been back in over a decade.

Again, all I've ever had were Japanese bikes, and am very familiar with them. The new venture into the European bikes has me a little nervous. I've always known them to be unreliable and maintenance intensive.

Sometime this week, I will be going back to do a demo ride on the 800 and 1050.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
The Ducati, on paper, is everything I want. Performance and comfort in one? Sign me up! The advanced electronics has me a little concerned with the dealership being so far away. But I do ALL my own work. Short of the engine blowing up, or a ECU meltdown...the bike will NEVER see a shop.
FWIW, unless you're a really good wrench spinner, if you've never dealt with a desmo motor, especially when it comes to valve check/set time, you're going to need to visit the dealer every 15k miles. The rest is pretty easy.

-SM
Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
ATC Crazy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
FWIW, unless you're a really good wrench spinner, if you've never dealt with a desmo motor, especially when it comes to valve check/set time, you're going to need to visit the dealer every 15k miles. The rest is pretty easy.

-SM
Yes, very true. That part kinda slipped my mind. 15k should be every couple years with the way I ride
Old 04-02-2012, 06:56 AM   #14
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,446
ATC, minor maintenance is not my worry either, and as you pointed to as well, the electronics are. Make sure you look into an extended warranty if you decide to go down the Ducati route, it will pay off one way or another in time.

Enjoy the test rides,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,627
Quote:
Thanks for the information everyone.

I'm starting to believe that the 800XC won't be enough for me, and the narrow front tire has me worried about the corners. I love to hit the corners hard and fast (and lets face it, sometimes a corner will sneek up and scare ya too). I won't do enough off-road riding to really justify the bikes
The XC will hold very well in a fast corner. It can actually feel more planted than a road bike as the suspension is more compliant when going over pavement abnormalities. I push mine to the limit in corners and I feel more comfortable on it through a corner at speeds less than 100mph, than I do on my 1098.

And unless you are two-up most of the time, I think the XC has more than enough power for all needs. Yes, it feels slow when I switch back from the 1098 or ZZR, but 'slow' is relative in this case. The XC is still very quick when compared to surrounding traffic.

Whatever you put on your list, try to get rides on all of them before you make your decision. We can trade electrons and postulate on what would be the best bike for you, but it's your money and your butt and only you will know what's best for you.