User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #31
Mtn Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
KnoxVegas

You got that right! As simple as a heated vest and gloves and those other months have become good as well! Double Camp Road in Citico on New Years Day, great ride.
Mtn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
If I had the money and was single, I might look for better places, but I am lucky to have lots of good riding close by.
I live in Southern New Jersey, hardly a motorcycle hot spot, but almost endless trails are 5 miles from my house (pine barrens) and its a nice 2 hour ride to the hills in PA and New York for twisty stuff.

I have been out west on a bike, and it sure is nice, but I can ride year round here as the climate is mild, and while the woods are large, you can get to a road in under a day walking no matter where you are.

I could never be happy living someplace that really sucked for riding.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #33
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Florida is where the job is, along with generally good weather, and good condition, but boring, roads.

That's why I also have a place in western N.C.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
bloodandmotoroil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
moving to colorado for just that reason, western slope.

that and i build rockcrawlers .. so it works out for me
bloodandmotoroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 AM   #35
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Aubrey View Post
Would I relocate for better riding?

Perhaps not as the sole reason. But it would be a highly weighted factor, among others, in considering a move.

I'm lucky. New Mexico is damned near dual sport heaven. Not the easiest place to make a living, but my wife and I have decided that we've done enough moving. We'll figure out how to make it work here. And she understands the need for the dual sport.
Have you thought about the glamorous New Mexican industries of border patrol or methamphetamine production?

I used to live in the Capitan Mountains, a lot of my family is from there/still there. If you need a place to test missiles and nuclear weapons, or store hazardous waste, New Mexico is your place! If you need an economy... Well, the motorcycling is great! Mountains, deserts, sometimes trees. New Mexico needs a motorcycle based economy.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #36
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Thankfully I don't need to. I'm 5 minutes from the Santa Cruz Mountains.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #37
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I relocated from South Florida to East Tennessee 9 years ago for better riding mostly. It was one of the few smart things that I have ever done!
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #38
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 225
I went from great riding in Northern California to mostly crap because of a move for work. I hate not having great roads 10 minutes from my house, it's so frustrating not being able to unwind after a long day at work. When I move again the local riding will be more of a consideration but the career has to come first. Kinda pointless to live in a great riding area but not have the money to afford the bikes.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #39
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsquatch View Post
I went from great riding in Northern California to mostly crap because of a move for work. I hate not having great roads 10 minutes from my house, it's so frustrating not being able to unwind after a long day at work. When I move again the local riding will be more of a consideration but the career has to come first. Kinda pointless to live in a great riding area but not have the money to afford the bikes.
Gee - Ilived in DC for a year. My apartment was next to the Naval Archives. I had a supermoto for my bike. I loved riding around there. The horse country or the MD farm country. The shores of the Chesapeake. Budd's Creek MX, Hagerstown flat track...

Only thing was you had to get outside the beltway. I grew up in the Bay Area. You gotta' get pretty far out of town there too.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #40
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Gee - Ilived in DC for a year. My apartment was next to the Naval Archives. I had a supermoto for my bike. I loved riding around there. The horse country or the MD farm country. The shores of the Chesapeake. Budd's Creek MX, Hagerstown flat track...

Only thing was you had to get outside the beltway. I grew up in the Bay Area. You gotta' get pretty far out of town there too.
I was up there for awhile in 2006. Manassas area.

Lots of traffic, even as far out as Warrenton and Fredericksburg.

I found some great county and state roads, but they all had 35mph speed limits, and it seemed like the patrols were everywhere.

Similar roads that here in The Hills are defaulted at 55 (and you can ride 70) were posted at 35 and 45. So, easy cruising at 55 was 20mph over the limit in NoVa.

It sucked.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #41
Angry Wookie
Running On Fumes

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post

I'm sure there are some good roads I haven't found but all the ones I have found or been shown by friends in the immediate area are crowded and heavily patrolled. I normally ride one to three hours of slab just to get to some nice open twisty roads.

Not sure what part of the Bay Area you grew up in, but where I grew up in Marin County there where some great roads 10 to 15 minutes from my house.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #42
awshouse
Downwardly mobile

Oddometer: 435
It's def a factor. 4 years in Seattle now-- can't imagine heading back east. Wish the trails (amazing) were closer but I do ride year round and I can be in the mtns in 45 mins. 21 yrs in SE Michigan -- good roads, bad season, trails were way far away and only so-so. 7 yrs hard time in DC. SUCKED. Horrible roads and people and I worked like an animal. Never heading back east. Never.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #43
dirtyhillbilly
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Yes

Id like to get out of this part of the country, but Im just discovery who awesome it is for riding, only 2nd year on 2 wheels, Like a lot of others that have replied I am also in the Appalachian Mountains, and love it now. If anywhere Id like to end up PNW, plan on visiting some western desert but no plans of living in a place like that.
dirtyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #44
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsquatch View Post
I'm sure there are some good roads I haven't found but all the ones I have found or been shown by friends in the immediate area are crowded and heavily patrolled. I normally ride one to three hours of slab just to get to some nice open twisty roads.
Same deal here. You have to get outside the Beltway to enjoy riding (REALLY enjoy it-- I always enjoy the simple pleasures of being on the bike of course, but you all know what I mean). Which tends to limit my joy riding to the weekends simply because after-work traffic prevents one from getting out to the good roads before it gets dark (yay for summer daylight).

The GF wants to get a bigger house, we've been looking to buy outside the Beltway... I'd hate hate HATE the commute into town, but don't think for a moment that I haven't thought about how nice it would be to be further west and that much closer to riding nirvana...
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #45
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
I would, but my wife wouldn't...does that mean she left me or I left her? I guess it doesn't matter 'cause I ain't movin, so...
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote