Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
Capt_Aubrey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Top box interferes with emergency braking technique?

KLR 650 with an Action Packer top box mounted on stock rear luggage rack (yeah, I'm a cheap s.o.b.).

I was trained to make emergency stops by using modest amounts of rear brake (just enough to keep the bike tracking in a straight line), getting my butt up out of the saddle and back as far as possible, and smoothly/quickly applying as much front brake as possible. Moving my body of the saddle and rearward moves the center of gravity of the bike/rider back, unweighting the front wheel, which means you can apply more front brake with reduced risk of a stoppie or endo.

I was out running some errands and came across an empty parking lot (strip mall under development), so I turned in for a little practice. The parking lot was big enough to get up to about 30 mph in a straight line and then hit the brakes hard. Scared the hell out of me. That top box made it nearly impossible to brake hard with any confidence.

Tempted to take the damned thing off. Yes, it makes things convenient from time to time, but I'm not sure it's worth compromising on safety.

Thoughts?

Capt_Aubrey screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 09:29 AM Reason: Grammar nazi
Capt_Aubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Aubrey View Post
... Moving my body of the saddle and rearward moves the center of gravity of the bike/rider back, unweighting the front wheel, which means you can apply more front brake with reduced risk of a stoppie or endo. ... Thoughts?
But reducing front brake effectiveness markedly and making it much more likely to lock up? Since the front brake does XX% of the braking (pick a number, they're all "out there," somewhere), a lot more than the rear, what's the point?

You should ask for your money back from whoever "trained" you. Your technique is near guaranteed to turn a non-emergency into one.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
fonztheyeti
king of all i survey

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
But reducing front brake effectiveness markedly and making it much more likely to lock up? Since the front brake does XX% of the braking (pick a number, they're all "out there," somewhere), a lot more than the rear, what's the point?

You should ask for your money back from whoever "trained" you. Your technique is near guaranteed to turn a non-emergency into one.
add "on pavement" to that and i agree.
fonztheyeti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
I was trained to make emergency stops by using modest amounts of rear brake (just enough to keep the bike tracking in a straight line), getting my butt up out of the saddle and back as far as possible, and smoothly/quickly applying as much front brake as possible.
Doesn't this take time that could have been spent getting the front brake on sooner? And how do you modulate the rear brake while moving around on the pegs getting into your position? Try more brake effort on the rear to begin and reduce it as weight is transferred forward.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Keep your ass planted in the saddle.
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #6
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepi View Post
Keep your ass planted in the saddle.

What he said. Re-learn to do emergency braking. What you discribe sounds like a good way to a bad ending.

Cheers.
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,227
If you ever get a stoppie or endo, on a KLR, be sure to share what brand of brakes/brake lines you use, in the KLR650 Thread. Some folks have been searching for a really good set of brakes, for quite awhile.

Also...I would have to agree with garfey...go get a refund.

EDIT- For those who caught it, did someone quote it before it got nuked? (If you read it, you know what I'm posting about.) I sometimes question (when reading some posts) whether some of these folks have ever actually layed eyes on a motorcycle...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 03-31-2012 at 11:26 AM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
layed eyes on a motorcycle...
laid

/Klay
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
laid

/Klay

Back to the Basement!...no soup for you!

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #10
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
That is the one of the worst techniques I have ever heard for Emergency Brakeing a Motorcycle.

You wan't weight to transfer forwards, that allows you to brake the front even harder without loseing traction.
The way your doing it, the front will lock and skid if your really trying to stop quick.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Maybe that instructor was teaching how to "lay her down"?

Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
If you ever get a stoppie or endo, on a KLR, be sure to share what brand of brakes/brake lines you use, in the KLR650 Thread. Some folks have been searching for a really good set of brakes, for quite awhile.

Also...I would have to agree with garfey...go get a refund.

EDIT- For those who caught it, did someone quote it before it got nuked? (If you read it, you know what I'm posting about.) I sometimes question (when reading some posts) whether some of these folks have ever actually layed eyes on a motorcycle...

This!

Honestly in the few times I have had an oh shit moment, there wasnt time to do anything but haul in on the brakes, no moving around no nothing.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Hanging back off the saddle is a mountain bike technique for braking on a steep slope. Bicycles tend to be a bit more endo-prone than motos. Has OP confused pedal bikes with his KLR? Perhaps because most bicycles cost more?
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by melville View Post
Hanging back off the saddle is a mountain bike technique for braking on a steep slope. Bicycles tend to be a bit more endo-prone than motos. Has OP confused pedal bikes with his KLR? Perhaps because most bicycles cost more?

And accelerate faster.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
melville
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
And accelerate faster.
I didn't want to rub it in.
Call me Mel. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me at home, I thought I would ride about a little and see the other parts of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen and regulating the circulation.
melville is offline   Reply With Quote