User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
milkfiend OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Staying safe and looking good?

Seriously, is it ever possible to do both at the same time? My current riding gear consists of:
  • Textile jacket - functional but baggy, lots of zippers
  • Overpants - padding, zippers, reflective piping
  • Riding shoes (dorky!)
  • Full-face helmet
Is there any way I can keep the same level of protection and convenience (i.e. taking off overpants when I get to work) and also not look like I got dressed in the morning by running through my dad's closet? I know safety isn't cool*, but maybe at least I can avoid looking like a grandpa

*definitely not - when the hot girls who ride pillion in flip-flops sneer at you for wearing a helmet, you know you've got no chance
milkfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,448
It's already hard to look cool on an enduro caked in dirt and mud.

Get a crotch rocket and one piece track suit. Carry your change of clothes in a backpack.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Never thought about it I guess. If I'm going somewhere I have to present a pressed and starched appearance I go in the cage. In Texas in the summer, it's hard to look calm and collected when your soaking wet with sweat.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I've gotten to the point of leaving a coat and tie at the office for "dog and pony shows" that happen without notice. Kakis and a decent shirt normal uniform, commuting garb over pants and a jacket, summer - carry the work clothes in the bags, reward is take the long way home.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
DowDuer
!rn00b-aK

Oddometer: 212
Some girls dig guys who look bulletproof. There are even girls who appreciate wearing your spare armored jacket.

Seriously though, Hell for Leather Magazine has some articles on gear they consider stylish, though it's $$$.
DowDuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
FinlandThumper
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 5,535
Looking good is of course highly subjective. But I too detest the power ranger look if I can avoid it, especially on short rides in good weather. On nice days I wear a leather jacket with a sort-of 60's racing style and built in pads, and 'denim' motorcycle pants with armor as well. Black leather alpinestars boots. It has a classic look but still meets standards for motorcycle protection.

It's a pretty classic look which is comfortable and still safe for the ride. I then keep clothes at work and change to professional attire.

I like it, and then save the full textile gore tex rig for rainy and cold days.
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
pfloydgad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Interesting question here. Personally I prefer Smarter and safer, besides, if they made a decision about who I am all geared-up before they meet me, I probably don't want to know them anyway.
Forest said it pretty well: Stupid is as Stupid does.
That ching is my $.02 hitting the tip jar.
Ride safer guys,
Greg
pfloydgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,815
I don't look good naked, and no matter what I wear have noticed no significant change from that state. So I might as well dress for safety.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #9
txwanderer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Might I suggest taking the time to find gear that actually fits? There are plenty of different shapes and sizes, along with very good protection and you won't look like Elmer Fudd trying to pull off a fashion statement.
The way you discribe your gear, you won't get the full bebefit of what it offers should you have an unplanned get off. It sounds like the armor will move easily, if it was ever in the right position to start with and leave you out in the cold.
Proper fit will go a long way to getting you the "cool" look and will have the right things in the right places when it is needed.

As for the "Hot Girls", if you need a bike to get laid, you are doing it wrong.

YMMV
txwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Reprobate
Solo & Sidecar Rider

Oddometer: 6,179
A KLIM motorcycle suit is pretty stylish. Personally, I don't care if a bikini babe thinks I'm sexy. My main gear is a BMW tourance pants with scuffed Alpinestars boots and a silver and blue Stadler jacket. Or the BMW Tourance jacket if I want to be more representative. My helmet is a hi-viz yellow Nolan N143 air with detachable chinguard.

On the fire engine red Guzzi sidecar outfit, I wear jeans and boots and a red softshell with 'Advanced Motorcycling' [in Dutch] on the jacket. And a Nolan jet helmet in the Italian Tricolore.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #11
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,815
Most Harley riders around here stay safe and look good.They wear leather jackets,chaps,bandanas and fingerless gloves(nosepickers) and drive a big pickup festooned with Harley stickers such as "Screw it,Lets ride"
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarmy View Post
Most Harley riders around here stay safe and look good.They wear leather jackets,assless chaps,bandanas and fingerless gloves(nosepickers) and drive a big pickup festooned with Harley stickers such as "Screw it,Lets ride"
fixed it for you.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #13
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
A KLIM motorcycle suit is pretty stylish..

Well it would be if it didn't have obnoxiously huge neon yellow

Klim

all over it.

The gear I wear on any given day is for Comfort (protect me from the elements)
Looks and protection from crashing are low on my list.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:01 AM   #14
Reprobate
Solo & Sidecar Rider

Oddometer: 6,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Well it would be if it didn't have obnoxiously huge neon yellow

Klim

all over it.

The gear I wear on any given day is for Comfort (protect me from the elements)
Looks and protection from crashing are low on my list.
Well, that's why I like the Tourance suit I bought secondhand -- not many BMW decals on it, just stylish grey-black with retroreflective parts. So I fucked it up by wearing a yellow hi-viz helmet with it.
I write the Amsterdam Assassin Series (suspense fiction), if you want to know more or support me by buying my work, please check out my website Tao of Violence and blog Amsterdam Assassin Series for news and links to the ebooks.
Reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reprobate View Post
Well, that's why I like the Tourance suit I bought secondhand -- not many BMW decals on it, just stylish grey-black with retroreflective parts. So I fucked it up by wearing a yellow hi-viz helmet with it.
You mentioned the N43 helmet. My N43E is my favorite helmet I have ever owned. Mine is the Flat Black color... You know how I like to be stealthy.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 09:55 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote