Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 542
Viewing that last photo you may ask yourself how mud and leaves got on TOP of the front fender.

I think the consensus is that accidents (ok let's just call it a crash) occur when a combination of bad or incorrect things happen at the same time. In this case there were at least five, or it just may be the best I can come up with.

Note to self; don't leave home with a bald front tire, ride too fast at the end of a long day because you can smell the barn, or try to dodge mud puddles on a soggy road while taking photographs over shoulder with one hand, to keep your crappy boots from getting wet.

It's entirely likely footage will surface eventually.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350

waybill screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 02:11 PM
waybill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,583
Can we get an update before Buzz gets back from banned camp please?
Originally Posted by ineptizoid View Post
Never underestimate the cheapness of a KLRista. We're like the Jedi Knights of frugality. Or something like that.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Can we get an update before Buzz gets back from banned camp please?
By all means. A little gentle persuasion can work wonders. So my wife tells me!

We began to work our way over the mountain and on to our lodging for the night. There were some great roads yet to be ridden this day, both dirt and paved. We were all stoked by this point having gotten to the mountains.

As we came out of the woods and began the final approach to our destination on pavement we were treated to some really good twisty action that had us hoping the campground was further than the GPS was telling us.

We made it to the campground and turned in reasonably early in anticipation of more fun and frivolity the next day. Bill had saved the best for last and planned our most ambitious day's riding to close out the trip. It figured to be well in excess of 200 miles. And I don't mean easy slab miles. We got an uncharacteristically (ahem!) early start and that may have been due in part to Bill appointing me to lead the morning portion while he remained behind in camp to attend to more pressing matters.

It got good quick...

We entered the woods at high altitude and were immediately enveloped by a strange, foreboding mist that cast an eerie pall over the road and the riders. It was as if we were riding in a dream OR the cameraman forgot to wipe the condensation from the camera lens!!

Fast Freddie showing the rest of us that those single track hill climbs ain't nothin'!!

I thought the water was supposed to flow under the bridge!!

I wanted to get some footage of some of the guys, so Fred the Elder led us over Tusquitte Gap. Rony, on the big GSA (der Panzer), navigated the twisting, rocky terrain with the easy aplomb of one walking to the end of the driveway to fetch the newspaper. This clip ran a little longer than I had intended (4 min.) but I suppose I was distracted.

More good stuff of the way over the mountain.

We got to the junction of Tusquitte and Tuni Gaps and as we came down the grade, well, well, well. What have we here?

TBC...
Day13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Never underestimate the cheapness of a KLRista. We're like the Jedi Knights of frugality. Or something like that.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
waybill
cheap thrill

Thanks Sean, it's good to know someone is enjoying the tale.

I liked the effect on these videos which reminded me of some appropriate travelin music, watch'em again and play this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJOIqmlI65Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day13 View Post

Old 04-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #21
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
Thanks Sean, it's good to know someone is enjoying the tale.
I ride vicariously through these type of reports. I take my smartphone out to the bike, start it up and read and watch the videos.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
j-mac
guess this avatar...

Oddometer: 80
Thumbs Up!!

Great report on a very cool ride, gents! It's not often that one of these reports is coming from so close to home (panama city).

Any chance there is a gps file among the riders? I'd love to get a gaggle together and retrace your steps.

j-mac
j-mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
I ride vicariously through these type of reports. I take my smartphone out to the bike, start it up and read and watch the videos.
Well, that's one way to git 'er done : )

Sounds sorta like, in the movie 'Days of Thunder', when Robert Duvall asks Tom Cruise what makes him think he can drive a stock car. Cruise says "I watched it on ESPN".

Turns out, he was right.

One of these days you oughta ride it with some buds, there's no doubt you'd enjoy it.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #24
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
One of these days you oughta ride it with some buds, there's no doubt you'd enjoy it.
Between this and the dual sport loop Buzztail Dr. Z and a few others did, definately give me the desire to do it eventually.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #25
waybill
cheap thrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
Great report on a very cool ride, gents! It's not often that one of these reports is coming from so close to home (panama city).

Any chance there is a gps file among the riders? I'd love to get a gaggle together and retrace your steps.

j-mac
Thanks j-mac, it's the second year a group of us took the ride, most of it anyway. Seems there's always somebody () that has to work a regular job so we end up riding just three consecutive days and allow one to get back home.

I would like to see more groups riding the route and we do have the gps file. Dave (Day 13) is our gps guru and can slice and dice it about anyway we need. I've done quite a few routes over the years but this is by far my longest and has taken about three years to reach this point, the past year or so fine tuning it.

I've debated long and hard about how to get it out, but in the end have sadly succumbed to the temptations of capitalism, and decided to charge $45. for it. This is sure to piss off almost everyone from conscientious objectors to couch potatoes but I really don't care. Hey, there are plenty of free routes out there for the asking, just check the GPS Sector, almost anywhere you'd want to go (btw Chip and his routemen do some really good work). And, by the time this RR is over there will almost be enough hints that a resourceful chap could duplicate some of it and ad lib what's left, well not exactly but you get the idea. I've yet to put it in the Vendors section as originally intended but still plan to.

But wait..... there are several ways one can get it free.

I'll give it to anyone that is active service, is in school (taking classes of any kind), doesn't have a job (but is trying to get one), or can just come up with a fairly compelling reason why.

Also, within the next two weeks (end of the month), anyone that'll ride it (at least 3 days of it) and write an RR on any forum in the next two and a half months, can have it. Just PM me or Day13.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #26
waybill
cheap thrill

Let's backup on day 1 to about here, just before our regularly scheduled lunch stop...

which didn't happen because the only gas station/convenience store (which had served up some decent fried chicken last year) in the only town (Davisboro) on the day's route was closed for remodeling by it's new owner. It's a major source of consternation for anyone mapping routes, especially long distance ones. Stuff changes, roads and trails change, people change, and business's change. Might as well get used to it. We got gas and continued on dirt another 45 minutes but eventually had to bail and ride an hour and a half out of the way for lunch, which weren't gonna fly.

So a couple weeks later I stop in to check out the place, and it's better than ever. The new owner, Sim, is a great guy and he's got real good Ga. home cooking every day but Sunday when he serves dogs and wings, hallelujah brother.

And, because it was the shortest mileage day (137) of the route, and since it runs thru one of the more scenic parts of the state, I'd been wanting to substitute some dirt for pavement that afternoon. Which I was able to, about 20 miles worth, making the day at least a 90%er. About the only signs of civilization is stufff like this, and it's few and far between.

About half the times I glanced in the mirror Fred (the other Fred) was standing on the pegs, wtf? It turns out he couldn't get comfy on the borrowed 400's seat, having been spoiled rotten from riding his camhead 1200GS up until this trip (some of us had to bring narrow, lightweight bikes for packaging purposes on the trip home). So he stood up a lot, an awful lot.

Nearing day's end the roads opened up and we could stretch the legs a little.

Enough that it made traffic on the paralleling Interstate look kinda pokey.

I won't dwell much on what happened next when we arrived at camp, other than it involved finding a used tire for the Airstream at closing time in a town 30 miles away. Seems we had this issue last year, several times in fact.

So, the next morning we get a pretty good start for a medium long day. Fred (old Fred) says he wants to drive the bus cause he'd been racing the previous three weekends (AMA hare scrambles) and his derriere needed a break.

Heading out of Alexander Stephens State Park on my favorite day of the ride, not to mention one of or maybe the best lunch of the trip, at The Roystonian.

No yummy food pics but somehow the pace managed to quicken the closer we got.

Yes, you guessed it, it's mostly about the food...

waybill screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 09:25 PM
Old 04-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #27
Day13 OP
Worst Avatar EVER!

Oddometer: 625
Finally!!
Day13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #28
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Now i'm enthusiastic about this ride report but why do you have to tease by posting the same video 3 times?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
waybill
cheap thrill

Sorry, technical difficulties, be right back.

Play it again Sean....

waybill screwed with this post 04-23-2012 at 03:00 PM
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #30
waybill
cheap thrill

Well, they don't call me the breeze, (probably some other things : )) but I do like the tune and these guys playin' it, so if you can tear yourself away from the performance, use the soundtrack behind the vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncnlbgr86Q