User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,829
Touring the EU Small cc style

So if things go according to plan I will be following Wheatwhackers advice and in spring of 2013 purchasing a bike in Ireland to do a couple of tours of the EU over the next couple of years.

What I'm looking for is something in the 250-650cc range, multi cylinder, and something not available in the USA just because I can. Not looking at low cc bikes because I lack experience, I simply enjoy them more. Loved touring on my Ninja 250 and 500 more than my K1200LT.

Also not really looking for a big trailie as these tours will be all pavement.

The ones that have caught my eye so far.

Honda Hornet 250-A 250 inline 4 has GOT to be fun.

Suzuki Bandit 400-I know we got these in the US but they are so rare that they don't count really

Kawasaki ZZR 400-Is this just a sleeved down 600 and therefore not any lighter?

Yamaha FZX 250-Don't know much about them other than I saw a few on Done Deal

Any other cool small bikes that I'm missing? (I'm sure there are a bunch) Or any riding impressions on the ones I've listed would be appriciated.

Oh yes, no scooters, I like to shift my own gears
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,992
Cagiva Raptor, available in 650 and 1000cc sizes. Also X-Raptor 1000 with more trickery stuff.
They're sort of a SV powered Monster, made by Cagiva. The 650's are more plentiful and seem a good bargin. At least what i've seen checking e-bay GB.
The M-3 Yamaha with the 660 single is a cool bike too.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:28 PM   #3
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Honda Varadero 250
kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

That Cagiva looks nice! Gets good reviews as well. Yup will add that one to the list.

Varadero 250? The only references I could find were for a 125....and not really interested in the 1000.

Oh and I should mention that I'm looking somewhere around € 2500. Less is better therefore more gas! Or should I start saying petrol?

Jimmy the Heater screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 01:12 AM
Old 04-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,090
If you liked your smaller kawasaki's, how about the ER6n; not available in the USA and within budget for an '06 or '07. You could probably sell and not lose much once the tour is over.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
If you liked your smaller kawasaki's, how about the ER6n; not available in the USA and within budget for an '06 or '07. You could probably sell and not lose much once the tour is over.
Or a newer Hornet.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Hornet 250 is brilliant fun for sure. And very well made too. Better quality than EU assembled Hornet 600.
VTR250 - hell of fun bike. Looks like very small Ducati Monster, but it's a Honda.

If you into really racy bikes - VFR400, the holy grail of people, who love sharp handling, great motor and looks just like smaller RC30. Not most comfortable, but not too bad.

And of course CB400SF or/and CB-1
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,224
Varadero 125 would be my choice, although I've never ridden one, it is a larger bike size wise than most 125s
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
LasseNC
XSessive!

Oddometer: 1,045
Mz etz250
mz ts250
mz es250/2
LasseNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman View Post
Hornet 250 is brilliant fun for sure. And very well made too. Better quality than EU assembled Hornet 600.
VTR250 - hell of fun bike. Looks like very small Ducati Monster, but it's a Honda.

If you into really racy bikes - VFR400, the holy grail of people, who love sharp handling, great motor and looks just like smaller RC30. Not most comfortable, but not too bad.

And of course CB400SF or/and CB-1
ER6-Yup, Would never shy away from the naked version of the well loved Ninja 650 + fuel injection is nice

Hadn't seen the VTR before....very nice!
And the VFR-Drool! Lil more supersport than what I was looking for but I wouldn't say no if I found one at the right price and time.

EU got the CB-1? Yup, add that to the list as well.

Varadero 125....Gah, nice for what it is but that is just a lil too small on the engine size. Gotta be at least a multi cyl 250.

The MZ's are cool bikes but that is a bit too old for me to want to trust without my home tool chest. Looking for late 90's into 2000's Disc Brakes are a MUST!

Looks like the ZZR 400 is just a sleeved down 600 so no weight savings. Might as well get the 600 at that point. :(

Loving looking at the European machinery with the intent to buy instead of thinking Damn, we can't get that here either.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Beats the shit out of me, but it sounds like fun regardless.

I couldnt do it on a modern bike, I'd have to spring for a classic of some variety depending on where I was going. The autobahn wouldnt be much fun on an enfield single but it might be doable on an older Benelli tornado, Ducati, Triumph or Norton.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
ER6-Yup, Would never shy away from the naked version of the well loved Ninja 650 + fuel injection is nice

Hadn't seen the VTR before....very nice!
And the VFR-Drool! Lil more supersport than what I was looking for but I wouldn't say no if I found one at the right price and time.

EU got the CB-1? Yup, add that to the list as well.

Varadero 125....Gah, nice for what it is but that is just a lil too small on the engine size. Gotta be at least a multi cyl 250.

The MZ's are cool bikes but that is a bit too old for me to want to trust without my home tool chest. Looking for late 90's into 2000's Disc Brakes are a MUST!

Looks like the ZZR 400 is just a sleeved down 600 so no weight savings. Might as well get the 600 at that point. :(

Loving looking at the European machinery with the intent to buy instead of thinking Damn, we can't get that here either.

Sorry - should have replied with details earlier.

CB-1 officially not imported, but there are quite a few of them as grey import in UK and I also saw in Netherlands some of those.
I am not sure, but I THINK that all VFR400 I seen here also were originally grey import, but I saw quite a few even here in Belgium.
VTR250 officially available at least in Switzerland, from Honda. One of guys I know just bought it last year, new.

Dare I mention crazy device called CBR250RR, totally and utterly grey import minirocket with incredibly trick high-revving motor with gear-driven cams? :) I seen shedload of them in UK in the past, all grey import.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #13
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Sensible

Oddometer: 381
Of course I have to reccommend the Kawasaki ZZ-R250 (EX250-H) ... cheap to buy and run, dead reliable and is in reality an up-scale version of the pre-2008 Ninja 250's that were offered in the U.S. The ZZ-R250, available in Canada and overseas, was marketed as a small Sport Touring bike in some of Kawi's Canadian literature and has an aluminium perimeter-type frame, different body work than the U.S. spec EX250, 17 wheels/tires front and rear (U.S. spec = 16" hoops), dual trip meters, Ninja 500 front-end, adjustable rear suspension, left-side fairing storgae pocket and different tuning than the standard pre-'08 Ninja 250 which gives it a 13,000 RPM red line.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:42 PM   #14
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
Of course I have to reccommend the Kawasaki ZZ-R250 (EX250-H) ... cheap to buy and run, dead reliable and is in reality an up-scale version of the pre-2008 Ninja 250's that were offered in the U.S. The ZZ-R250, available in Canada and overseas, was marketed as a small Sport Touring bike in some of Kawi's Canadian literature and has an aluminium perimeter-type frame, different body work than the U.S. spec EX250, 17 wheels/tires front and rear (U.S. spec = 16" hoops), dual trip meters, Ninja 500 front-end, adjustable rear suspension, left-side fairing storgae pocket and different tuning than the standard pre-'08 Ninja 250 which gives it a 13,000 RPM red line.

Ohhh grey market goodness! Doing research on all those :) The CBR250rr is a lil bit too much of a supersport for me to tour on but god I would dearly love to ride on one all the same.

Oh yes the ZZR 250. I know I would love that bike as I love my US spec 04 Ninja 250. Would never discount one of these either.

I'm beginning to think that it's gonna be pretty easy to find a bike over there that I'm going to get along with. There are a great number of wonderful small to mid cc bikes to choose from and they seem to be going for reasonable prices. The first week (hopefully less) of days of my trip will be taken up by finding a bike and getting it sorted. And the remaining time I can get away for the tour.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Good God this looks like a ton of fun!

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3211985

Anyone ridden a Hornet 250?