User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
hillbillypolack OP
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,752
BMW DoubleR boots ; quick impressions

I wasn't looking for boots this season, but my Alpinestar GP Plus boots were going on six years old and showing age.

Local dealer had three pairs of the DoubleR boot, which has a substantial amount of ankle bracing, heel protection as well as an inner lace-up 'boot'. They certainly are built as good as any Sidi and definitely better than any Alpinestar boot I've tried on. It looks like a revised version of another of their previous boots, with what looks like a stainless toe scraper and a perforated stainless steel heel guard / grate. The sides of the boot are designed for fore/aft 'flex' (though they are stiff as ski boots right now), but no lateral movement. Made my 'stars look weak and feel sloppy by comparison.

I usually run a 45 size boot, but the 44s fit me like a glove, and I'm counting on about a 1/4 size stretch in the materials and padding. With a thin insole the fit is just snug not tight. It took me a while to decide between the 44 and 45, since sizing was close. Glad to have gone smaller, as they are feeling better with each use.

The drawback is that the ankle movement (toes up and toes down) is far stiffer than my last boots. Which is as good as it's different. Had to lift the shift lever to accommodate the new toe position and the (somewhat) thicker boot profile to get under the shift lever. And the rear brake needed lifting also. Also, commuting in them is a bit clunky just because of the limited movement. These aren't tennis shoes or hiking boots. I appreciate the protection and design of the boots but I wish there were a bit more movement in that area.

But without a doubt these are the best fitting (though firm) boots I've owned. Not sure who manufactured these, but these seem to be really well built and great fitting right out of the box.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Der Kaiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
BMW Double R Boot

I'm considering getting a pair of these as well. Can you tell me now that it's been a few years since you first purchased these, are/were you as happy with them today as the first impression they made on you?

Kent
Der Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote