Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #1
kenaroo OP
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
XR 650 R Rally Fairing for acerbis sahara tank

Custom fabricated Rally fairing for the Honda XR650R Year 2000 to 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2vR0NdR1Ac

Unit is 3 piece a light weight fiberglass Fairing with a smooth gel coat finish.

Lighting is OEM KTM 950/990 adventure headlight.. NOT included (you must source)

Front fairing is a 3 layer built unit for strength
Side wings are 2 layer build up for weight savings . Specially overlaped on the tank to help protect from crashes, Cacti and branches that could damage the tank.

Mounting:
all units come with stainless steel bolt with nylon and stainless washer kits

Mounting braket options:
Weld on mounting tab.

Bolt on tab

Color options:
Unit to come in solid color Red to closely match tank.
Custom colors on request at an additional cost.

Here is the break down of price:
  • 3 piece fairing: $350
  • Sub frame for fairing $300
  • Frame bracket (to receive sub frame) options:
1. FREE: weld on mount: I'll supply drawings.. you fab and have welded to steering tube: I can also provide the weld on tab for $50 if you don't want to fab yourself but you need to have someone weld it on.

OR

2. Bolt on frame mount $350 scotts under the bar forward post with sub frame mount
(this is a modified scotts forward mount post included in price) this unit has to be bolted to head tube and requires removal of forks and steering stem. requires drilling into the head tube.

here is all the parts and costs
  • KTM 990 Eruo head light $200 (you source) (used u.s. models can be picked up for $60 here on Advrider in parts for sale forum)
  • 3 piece fairing $350
  • sub frame $300
  • frame mount $50 -$350 (see options above)
So... if your considering this unit.. Your Total budget for this unit: $900-$1200 + shipping depending on frame mount..

If you have questions and want to talk to me on the phone. shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to discuss the unit, pricing and how to assemble.

thanks
Ken

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo screwed with this post 01-17-2009 at 07:43 AM
kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
mattybag
Parrothead/Singlespeeder

Oddometer: 89
Ken:
Looks great. When we talked about fairings in Caliente for the XRs last year I just thought this would be a pipe dream but you've done an awesome job. This may be the deal that gets me to keep my XR.

Do you have pictures of the mounting system for the fairing and lights? Are you using a weld on bracket or carrying it off the Scotts post? I'm assuming a weld on bracket would make it stronger to carry a roadbook or GPS. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Matt

"we never failed to fail, it was the easiest thing to do."
mattybag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
Wonder if it'd fit the Acerbis tank for the 450/525 KTM's? Obviously, I'd have to fab up my own supports, but...

Very nice looking job, BTW.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
kenaroo OP
I am because i ride

Matt:

I'm using the weld on mount for my bike. I just took it to my fabricator an he did a great job welding it on. It's very simular to the solid mounts HRC is using on their baja race bikes to hold the dual head lamps.
I also have a design for a bolt on that looks like it will support a lot of weight using the scotts forward post. the fairing did very well on a ride we call the TexMex 500 (two days 500 miles) here in texas.

I'm not opposed of sending you the sheet metal drawings for the mounts since I know you have a fab shop close to you that could bend and machine the mounts yourself.

Shoot me a PM with your phone # and I'll call you to discuss special NRE pricing for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybag
Ken:
Looks great. When we talked about fairings in Caliente for the XRs last year I just thought this would be a pipe dream but you've done an awesome job. This may be the deal that gets me to keep my XR.

Do you have pictures of the mounting system for the fairing and lights? Are you using a weld on bracket or carrying it off the Scotts post? I'm assuming a weld on bracket would make it stronger to carry a roadbook or GPS. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Matt

kenaroo screwed with this post 06-14-2007 at 02:28 PM
Old 06-12-2007, 04:43 PM   #5
kenaroo OP
I am because i ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
Wonder if it'd fit the Acerbis tank for the 450/525 KTM's? Obviously, I'd have to fab up my own supports, but...

Very nice looking job, BTW.

Neduro: the center fairing is made for universal fit on other bikes but the side fairing are custom fit for the Sahara tank.

I'm looking for riders here in the Austin or Surrounding areas that have bikes with these rally tanks so that I can make templates of for additional applications.

I can also talk you through forming your own side fairings if intersted. Nice little weekend project.

pm me your info if you want to talk more in depth of getting one fabed for your bike.

Ken

Old 06-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Ken,

I followed the development thread, and man, the finished product looks awesome!

Is there a "cover"/stone protector for the headlight opening? And could you comment on the effectiveness of the recommended Hella's for night riding?

You've got me dreamin' about the possibilities for my KTM 620 now...

(And I think if you made an application for a DR650 with IMS tank, you'd be tapping a goldmine)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #7
XR6MOTO
Motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 184
Great job, the look awesome!

What's going to be the cost for the painted pieces & are they made to mate only w/the Acerbis Sahara tank?
XR6MOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,007
bump for ya, and a couple of questions???

How is the production going? how many have you sold?
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
You've done a really nice job with this.

Is the fairing doing a pretty good job of redirecting wind away from the rider?

It looks like the fairing is angled awefully far forward. Any particualr reason for that? Could you snap a picture from the side, so I could get a better idea of the angle it's at?

I'm also curious about the mounting options and what the whole thing looks like from the rider's perspective. More screen captures of CAD drawing and pictures would be awesome.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #10
kenaroo OP
I am because i ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
You've done a really nice job with this.

Thanks It's been a fun project work on. I've gotten tons of emails and inquiries on the fairing. and I acutally have a few sold though many that initally said they wanted one have backout for 1 reason or another

Is the fairing doing a pretty good job of redirecting wind away from the rider?

It does a fair job with deflecting wind but not completely. It's compairable to a sport bike fairing. If you want to get under the wind, you will have to duck down low behind the fairing. It works best at higher speeds when your leaning down on the tank.

I purposely made the fairing a lower profile design to help eliminate hitting it during a major "g" out which is explaned a little more in detail below on answer #2

If your looking for an up right wind blocker, a lexan clear sheild could be added to the fairing easily.

It looks like the fairing is angled awefully far forward. Any particualr reason for that? Could you snap a picture from the side, so I could get a better idea of the angle it's at?

The angle is almost vertical. there are two reasons for this.
1. I needed to create a lot of room for rally equipment. I personally like more of a flat instrument panel (roll chart and speedo) because when I'm at speed racing hard.... I'm over the front of the bike. It's takes more energy to push the body back and lean to look at the instruments when they are at a vertical position than when flat.

2. from past readings of rally competitiors on the dakar.. many have had life threating/ or death causing injuries from partial decapitation from hitting the fairing during a major "G" out.. so I move the fairing as far and low as possible to help eliminate this threat.

I'm also curious about the mounting options and what the whole thing looks like from the rider's perspective. More screen captures of CAD drawing and pictures would be awesome.
The progression of this project with pictures can be seen at the link below.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/gallerie...lbum207?page=1

the mounting drawings were a concept desing to work off the Scotts foward mount post. there are two more options to go with.. a weld on mount and a bolt on mount. any and all of these mounting options are custom set up per customer request. Many have just design and fab their own frame mount and modified the fairing brackets to fit.

of course I will help or provide you with more specific drawings and designs after purchase of fairing.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
gotdurt
Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer: 158
How are you attaching the lowers to the tank?

I'm in the Austin area (leander), and I have a DR650 with an IMS tank, if you'd like to look at it. Unfortunately, I'm not financially in the market for a fairing right now, but would love to see one developed for the DR, so I'd be willing to help out.

Can you do custom work based loosely on an OEM unit? My dad has an NX650 that the plastic has become brittle on, then he dropped it, cracking the fairing pretty bad in places. Not sure what he's willing to spend, but he's also talked about putting a larger XR600/650L tank on it, which wouldn't work with the existing fairing...
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:35 AM   #12
kenaroo OP
I am because i ride

The Acerbis tank has pem inserts in the tank that comes from the factory..

I would love to take a look at your DR with the big tank.. I definately can fab a fairing for it.

I can also take a mold of your dads NX and make a replacement..

Sent you a PM with my #

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdurt
How are you attaching the lowers to the tank?

I'm in the Austin area (leander), and I have a DR650 with an IMS tank, if you'd like to look at it. Unfortunately, I'm not financially in the market for a fairing right now, but would love to see one developed for the DR, so I'd be willing to help out.

Can you do custom work based loosely on an OEM unit? My dad has an NX650 that the plastic has become brittle on, then he dropped it, cracking the fairing pretty bad in places. Not sure what he's willing to spend, but he's also talked about putting a larger XR600/650L tank on it, which wouldn't work with the existing fairing...

Old 10-20-2007, 01:24 AM   #13
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,777
I'm definetly interested in what happens with all this. I'd love to buy one, I just have to chose a bike first. Its between a dr and a xr so having both would be a big plus. I bet there would be a market for drs as well. I see the biggest problem for most people is price however I doubt it could be done much cheaper. Keep on keeping on.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:21 AM   #14
ratz
Ratz

Oddometer: 4
This sure reminds me of one of the BRP fairings I've seen: http://aj77.multiply.com/photos/hi-r...hoto%2F45%2F15

Nice fabrication work, kenaroo!
ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:53 PM   #15
gotdurt
Flatulent Fellow

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratz
This sure reminds me of one of the BRP fairings I've seen: http://aj77.multiply.com/photos/hi-r...hoto%2F45%2F15

Nice fabrication work, kenaroo!
That looks suspiciously like a modified NX650 fairing....
gotdurt is offline   Reply With Quote