User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
hotair OP
What to ride?????

Oddometer: 574
Need 2004 Indian Chief info

A travler from Russia is having troubles with his Indian. It is blowing oil out of the air filter. He wants to know how much oil it holds so he can do a oil change. Does he use mineral or synthetic? Can someone give us this info? He just bought the bike in Chicago and he and his GF are riding around the US till the end of April. HELP!!!!!
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 3,198
Polaris owns Indian now did you check their site?

There has to be an Indian board on the internet.

It is just a dolled up Harley motor the best i know.

OldPete screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 04:51 PM
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 4,948
IIRC, that is a S&S engine, Harley rules apply. (20-50 motorcycle specific oil) Drain the oil, put in 2 qts and check it, top up from there. Thanks for calling in.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,849
I think all the Indians run oil tanks like a HD softail and typically 2.5 quarts is it. The 4 Ive had are pretty touchy as far as overfilling and blowing oil. Also shitloads of 80-90 mph riding did cause puking and a bit of residue at the bottom of the cleaner also.
Another thing to consider is what oil filter is being run on the bike. The EVO style engine pushed the oil thru the filters, Twincam pulled it thru. Been many owners including me using a HD type Twincam 5 micron will cause sumping or oil build up in the bottom end. The EVO needs a the older style 20 micron to work correctly.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Spirit_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I think all the Indians run oil tanks like a HD softail and typically 2.5 quarts is it. The 4 Ive had are pretty touchy as far as overfilling and blowing oil. Also shitloads of 80-90 mph riding did cause puking and a bit of residue at the bottom of the cleaner also.
Another thing to consider is what oil filter is being run on the bike. The EVO style engine pushed the oil thru the filters, Twincam pulled it thru. Been many owners including me using a HD type Twincam 5 micron will cause sumping or oil build up in the bottom end. The EVO needs a the older style 20 micron to work correctly.

If it is a 2004 it is a rare one!! Indian quit in 2003 on that go around. They had an Indian 100" motor that I would not trust from Chicago to my house. 60 miles! Any information your friend needs can be found at http://www.indianmotorcyclecommunity.com/forum/

If they are still in the area they can contact me. PM if interested. I know on the 1999-02 there is several quick fixes for the oil. I own a 2001.
Spirit_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote