ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 01:09 PM   #1
boldham OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Front Range
Oddometer: 27
Geo-referenced Motor Vehicle Use Maps on your smartphone

Many smartphones have GPS receiver built in that is not reliant on cell service.
Digital MVUM maps are nothing new, but now they are geo-referenced and there is software available to show you exactly where you are on the map (with or without cell service). Here are instructions for iPhone.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5441252.pdf.
Pretty cool stuff. I bet you could geo-reference other digital maps and use them in the same manner.

Note: For some reason, the Grand Mesa didn't work for me, but the others did.
boldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
HellSickle
Scone Rider
 
HellSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fort Collins
Oddometer: 8,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by boldham View Post
Many smartphones have GPS receiver built in that is not reliant on cell service.
Digital MVUM maps are nothing new, but now they are geo-referenced and there is software available to show you exactly where you are on the map (with or without cell service). Here are instructions for iPhone.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5441252.pdf.
Pretty cool stuff. I bet you could geo-reference other digital maps and use them in the same manner.

Note: For some reason, the Grand Mesa didn't work for me, but the others did.
For Android phones go to the Play store and download the PDF maps application by Avenza.

Stay the Trail has a complete collection of georeferenced maps for Colorado.

http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/
__________________
We don't stop riding because we get old, we get old because we stop riding.
"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it, and Virtue is doing it"

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
cross-country
.
 
cross-country's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Grand Junction, CO
Oddometer: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
For Android phones go to the Play store and download the PDF maps application by Avenza.

Stay the Trail has a complete collection of georeferenced maps for Colorado.

http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/
I have the PDFMaps by Avenza on my Iphone, it's a little clunky but gets the job done. I'd love to see an improved version of it that is a little more intuitive.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
awesome. just loaded those pdfs on my android phone.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
big_sur
Tarded
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Rocky Mountain Livin
Oddometer: 624
The android version works pretty good. I might take a paper version as backup, but I never use them.
__________________
Super Duke Dabbling
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #6
shearboy2004
KIWIINUSA
 
shearboy2004's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ft Collins ,Colorado
Oddometer: 4,340
This has worked very well for me .


http://accuterra.neotreks.com/
__________________
88 R100GS
75 Norton Commando Roadster
98 DR450
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
The android version works pretty good. I might take a paper version as backup, but I never use them.
i have the paper maps, but I doubt i'll bring them now.
i plan on loading all the mvum from the whole state on my phone.
the andriod version is slick.

in the store side i just loaded (free) rocky mtn nat park and black cyn of the gunnison.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
boldham OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Front Range
Oddometer: 27
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post

Stay the Trail has a complete collection of georeferenced maps for Colorado.

http://www.staythetrail.org/mvum/
Very cool. Thanks!
boldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
big_sur
Tarded
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Rocky Mountain Livin
Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i have the paper maps, but I doubt i'll bring them now.
i plan on loading all the mvum from the whole state on my phone.
the andriod version is slick.

in the store side i just loaded (free) rocky mtn nat park and black cyn of the gunnison.
Yeah, I've found the best way is to use the dropbox integration they have so you can manage the maps without fiddling on the tiny phone screen. Just put them all in dropbox folder and then after they're synced, when you go to add in PDF Maps, they have an option to import from Dropbox.
__________________
Super Duke Dabbling
big_sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #10
boldham OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Front Range
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Yeah, I've found the best way is to use the dropbox integration they have so you can manage the maps without fiddling on the tiny phone screen. Just put them all in dropbox folder and then after they're synced, when you go to add in PDF Maps, they have an option to import from Dropbox.
Good info. Thanks!
boldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
NoSpark?
Adventurer
 
NoSpark?'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Indian Hills, CO
Oddometer: 33
Just curious, are these better in someway than the 3rd party navigation packages such as co-pilot or Tom Tom. They both have maps and navigation stored on the device and have no dependence on the network... I'm genuinely curious because both those cost money and this sounds like a free alternative.
__________________
Always remember...You can do anything you want to do in life...At least once...
NoSpark? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #12
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Nunn
Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpark? View Post
Just curious, are these better in someway than the 3rd party navigation packages such as co-pilot or Tom Tom. They both have maps and navigation stored on the device and have no dependence on the network... I'm genuinely curious because both those cost money and this sounds like a free alternative.
Have you ever looked at a MVUM? If not stop by a local forest service office and grab one, then pull out your trusty old road atlas that is now probably obsolete. See the difference? That same difference is present between the pdf MVUMs and co-pilot, Tom Tom and the others. Which is better depends on what you are doing.

I've been using the Avenza app with the MVUMsfor two full seasons now, simply awesome in my opinion. I let my Zumo go with my FJR as Avenza does all I need from my iPhone on the dirt bikes.
SaharaJp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:44 AM   #13
mpatch
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: N Colorado
Oddometer: 871
Geo-referenced Motor Vehicle Use Maps on your smartphone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I have the PDFMaps by Avenza on my Iphone, it's a little clunky but gets the job done. I'd love to see an improved version of it that is a little more intuitive.

What do you mean by clunky? It does what I need in an off road only gps app, gives me my location on the MVUM, imports and records tracks. The only thing I would change would be to add real time tracking even when not recording your track (unless that's already an option I haven't figured out).
mpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #14
boldham OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Colorado Front Range
Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSpark? View Post
Just curious, are these better in someway than the 3rd party navigation packages such as co-pilot or Tom Tom. They both have maps and navigation stored on the device and have no dependence on the network... I'm genuinely curious because both those cost money and this sounds like a free alternative.
I agree with the other response. They're quite different. I still use my GPS but it's nice to have a backup device (especially one I already carry).
boldham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #15
cragwl
n00b
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Rainville
Oddometer: 1
Used Osmand app for the WABDR and the ORBDR. Uploaded the gpx files and followed the blue line. Worked slick. We use PDF maps for rides without gpx files. Works great too.
cragwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014