Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #61
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Killstar View Post
Short answer.

you know, it looks like i might be able to travel some serious distance on that.

just sayin'
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #62
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 297
Just as a hint though, if you are planning on putting a lot of weight on the back seat, reinforce the underside of the seat pan with bushings or something, mine kinda squashed a wire under the seat and I lost power at 90 on the interstate while crossing the Illinois River. Luckily my brother helped me diagnose the problem, and some simple repacking sorted me out until I could rearrange the wiring. Never had a problem since, but again, be warned.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #63
steveO-Ray
BikELess Vagrant

Oddometer: 585
Killstar, who makes those panniers and the mounting brackets for them?
"It is not the critic who counts:...The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena...who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
-Teddy Roosevelt
steveO-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #64
The Killstar
Ted Simon Acolyte

Oddometer: 297
I bought them from MS Panniers, but I'm not sure they make them anymore. Thryweredecently priced, and have served pretty well, but I feel like I could have gotten some better value. They aren't the most water tight thing in the world, but they hold a decent amount.
"Absolutely! If we didn't like visually beautiful bikes we'd all ride V-Stroms or something." - Av8rPaul
The Killstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #65
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 483
i was considering getting a bonnie for my around town bike and short jaunts.. i remember seeing them going for 3500 dollars and less and scramblers also under 4k.. What happened? i keep seeing 04's for as much as 07's
Where did they all go? who has them all in the basement?
I rode a scrambler and loved it for my intended purpose. Power was great for casual back road riding and just enjoying the ride..
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #66
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
i say go for it.

its a great all around bike, but it does need the basic upgrades to have its 'true character'

if i had the money to do so i would own a bonneville t100, a guzzi v7, a kawi w650, a sportclassic 1000, and of course a norton commando. wait, i forgot the new triumph scrambler, but it would have some beefy mods
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #67
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 130
This is an '09 Bonneville with EFI. The bags are Hepco Becker and the Screen is a Parabellum. Seat is Triumph's solo. I did put aftermarket progressive shocks on the back. Triumph's stock looking TOR mufflers put the correct rumble back in the bike with no noise fatigue. 16K miles so far on multiple trips. I've been on a couple Beemers and a Versys for the previous 30k miles of trips. Now I'm done bike hopping. This one is a keeper. Great passing power and fun in the twisties when you get into north Georgia and the west NC. Rode from sw Florida to Pheonix, AZ last November. The more I ride it the better I like it.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #68
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
I had one and rode it a lot of places.

My dealer deleted the AI before he ever started it out of the crate. I added the factory off road mufflers (TORs) and a center stand. Also had the stock seat, the king and queen seat and the Scrambler solo seat with rack.

I wound up swapping tank and fenders with a Scrambler guy to get a color scheme I liked better. The Scrambler parts along with the Scrambler seat were my most liked phase of ownership.

It was a good bike and never gave any issue at all, but I hated the bike really. It bored me all to hell. It got bad enough, I'd let it sit out in the rain rather than walk outside and roll it into the garage. I figured I should sell it rather than neglect it any longer. Haven't missed it one second.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #69
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Ha! Just goes to show we are all different and ya just gotta try 'em to see if you like 'em. I enjoyed riding in Texas. Ride as fast as you like and if you come up behind someone, most often they will drift over on the wide shoulder an let you by, even when there is no opposing traffic.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #70
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
This is what I'm riding as we speak. Having trouble thinking a Bonnie will be able to improve upon

it?

It's an '07 650, liquid cooled Bandit. Wolfman Bags, small fairing. About 80 hp. As reliable as a Toyota!
Lyle
You are right about your bike being hard to improve on. I had a Versys for about 10K miles. It was a bulletproof functional tool. I thought that is what I wanted. Something no nonsense. It did everything well except give me the feedback I wanted.
So I got the itch and got the Bonneville. Maybe I like it cause I had a Norton back in the day? Who knows.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #71
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
This is what I'm riding as we speak.
It's an '07 650, liquid cooled Bandit. Wolfman Bags, small fairing. About 80 hp.
I just sold this:

and also have this:

I know the W800 isn't imported into the US, but it's a similar ride to the Bonnie. Not as much hp, quite a bit smaller physically, lighter and with a hefty, flat torque band. I found the 1250 pretty uncomfortable after a couple of hours, useless for pillions (pegs too high) and the wind noise even with the Givi touring screen was wearing. Goes without saying that the 1250 engine just idles at highway speed two up, where the 800 is running nicely but not much in reserve for fast overtaking. Like the Bonnie it will run to the ton, but it takes a while to get there. If you normally cruise around 60-65mph then a Bonnie with a screen and decent bags (I have the Hepco and Becker set like the ones in DWR302's pic) will do you nicely and it will be a lot of fun. I average around 4000km a month in all weathers by the way, and as the screen pops on or off in about 2 minutes I generally run the bike without it if the weather is fine and warm.

And on the old bike thing, I rode BSAs back when, and the W800 is a pretty good rendition of a mid 60's Thunderbolt in general feel; it is somewhat less refined than the new Triumphs. The new Bonnies certainly don't ride like the old ones but they are a nice bike. (And I agree with the reliability comments - the old twins, especially the single carb models, were reliable enough if you didn't thrash the guts out of them.)

Scrivens screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 10:48 PM
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #72
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Thought I might as well post my Bonnie with its touring gear onboard.

I have used almost the identical setup on my CB350 and storage was fine riding one up for a week at a time.

The saddlebags are Cortech Sports which expand outward, strapped under the saddle. I have the factory Triumph rear rack upon which sits a Kuryakin expandable tailbag, but I also have a First Gear Silverstone II bag that fits almost exactly the same. The tankbag is a First Gear Onyx magnetic and I think I could fit a small handlebar bag, too. All the bags are fairly inexpensive and all come with raincovers. In front of the tailbag I have strapped my tent, a tarp, and my sleeping bag in a compression sack. Usuually I will stick a spare pair of knock-around shoes and a jacket under the straps, too.

Here's the saddlebag unexpanded then expanded.

Straps attached to the frame and across the rear fender keep the saddlebags from flopping around and the shocks keep the bags from folding back against the wheels. I have no bag stays on my bike.

All this stuff comes off in five minutes, including the National Cycle Delector DX windscreen. None of the gear was too expensive and all will swap right over to my '68 CB350, making them even a better deal.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #73
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
So what did you replace it with?
I got bored with mine quickly also, and do not miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I had one and rode it a lot of places.

My dealer deleted the AI before he ever started it out of the crate. I added the factory off road mufflers (TORs) and a center stand. Also had the stock seat, the king and queen seat and the Scrambler solo seat with rack.

I wound up swapping tank and fenders with a Scrambler guy to get a color scheme I liked better. The Scrambler parts along with the Scrambler seat were my most liked phase of ownership.

It was a good bike and never gave any issue at all, but I hated the bike really. It bored me all to hell. It got bad enough, I'd let it sit out in the rain rather than walk outside and roll it into the garage. I figured I should sell it rather than neglect it any longer. Haven't missed it one second.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #74
Cat Daddy
Cob Artist

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
So what did you replace it with?
I got bored with mine quickly also, and do not miss it.
You're gonna shake your head at my answer. I bought this brand new.

I freakin adore this bike. It's a turd of course, but it's exactly what I wanted all along. Slow and primitive. The picture above is after a round of work and mods the first week I owned it to give it a Scrambler vibe.
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #75
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Great lookin bike. Reminds me of back in the day. When I sold my 68 Norton the next bike I got was a WWII surplus M20 BSA 500 single. I get it.