Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #76
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 159
I always thought mine had character.... and with the right exhaust (Staintune), she turned heads.

Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #77
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 467
very nice.. love the blue and white
Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #78
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
I would have bet good money that the R12R would heavier than the Bonnie! Tipping point might be price. But BMW probably has the better dealer support network? Really love that green two tone though! Local dealer has a black and gray that looks great. He also is the BMW dealer closest to me, but he can't get the R. It's a sport bike in Manitoba?!??! So he didn't order any. I'm looking at an '09 R vs. a new Bonnie. Pretty much the same price and warrantee. I'd have to take the used bike to the same guys for any issues. Neither has ABS. I don't feel that's an issue. The used Beemer has 3700 km.
The R12's went on a serious diet second iteration, lost a fair bit of weight. The R1100 > R1150 porked up a fair bit. Add in the fact that most folks sense of the R12s is dictated by the GS and RTs, both of which weigh more than an R12R, and it's no surprise that one would expect the R12R to be heavier. Check on the weight though for that '09, it may not be the same as a 2012.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #79
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
But for what is out there for sale new, it would be one of my bigger street bike picks, the V7 classic, an old sportster, the new Bonneville.
The V7 classic is electric start, shaft drive, and 400 pounds, about what the old Bonnevilles were, but with electric start. Somehow they managed to keep the weight down and still have electric start AND shaft drive.
401.2 lbs. dry weight G'head and add 4.5 gallons of fuel, another gallon or so of oil, and a bunch lead from the battery, and I suspect your V7 Classic isn't going to be under 450. Still lighter than the T100, but not nearly as much of a difference as you're making it out. Of course, if you prefer the V-Twin, the styling, the name, the color, anything else of the Guzzi, then great, enjoy.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #80
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,216
And I think the weight of the guzzi is lower in the frame, which makes it feel light.

I do think the guzzi is a smaller bike, which might not be comfortable after a lot of miles, but I never rode one, just sat on one.
I really love the looks of the V7 classic, its one sharp looking bike.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #81
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,216
Yes, that looks nice.
Nice rack/grab rail, strap on the gear and ride cross country.
Well, maybe do something about the seat first.....

It holds enough gas without looking like its a rolling gas tank, its got a seat you can move around on, its reliable and smooth, its got enough power to do anything that needs to be done.

There are a LOT worse bikes on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post
I always thought mine had character.... and with the right exhaust (Staintune), she turned heads.

NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #82
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargev55 View Post
doing the basic upgrades makes a huge difference.

buddy of mine had the last year of the carbed bonnie t100, did the rejet, air filter, and added arrow exhaust.

the bike went from around low 50s whp to close to 70whp, torque was up 5-6ft/lb over stock as well. that bike had character.
That sort of performance gains seems very hard to believe. I have never heard of anybody getting 35-40% HP gains from jetting and exhaust. 5% and some weight savings seems more likely. Improved sound makes all bikes seem faster though.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #83
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
And I think the weight of the guzzi is lower in the frame, which makes it feel light.

I do think the guzzi is a smaller bike, which might not be comfortable after a lot of miles, but I never rode one, just sat on one.
I really love the looks of the V7 classic, its one sharp looking bike.
I like the V7 but wish it had more than 40somthing HP. Dealers are fewer and farther in between than the Triumphs too.
DWR302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #84
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

hard luggage

These guys make inexpensive hard luggage that some Triumph Rat guys are using:
http://www.a1hardbags.com/index.php

Old 04-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #85
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
That sort of performance gains seems very hard to believe. I have never heard of anybody getting 35-40% HP gains from jetting and exhaust. 5% and some weight savings seems more likely. Improved sound makes all bikes seem faster though.
I think the 860 Bonnivilles are about 65 HP stock.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #86
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post

That's a beauty. I like the windscreen & tail rack.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #87
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR302 View Post
I think the 860 Bonnivilles are about 65 HP stock.
Well I'd certainly buy the bike going from 65 HP up to 70 with jetting, air & exhaust, but not 70 from the low 50's.

Regardless, I have not ridden a loaded for travel Bonnie, but with just me, they seem to have enough power.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #88
DWR302
Justan Nudderboomer

Another pic with full on camping gear. Too much stuff really. I have since reduced the camping setup so only have the tent/thermarest/sleepingbag roll and the hard bags. I have eliminated the back rectangle storage bag. Trying to keep it simple.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #89
SomethingClever
sick life

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Well I'd certainly buy the bike going from 65 HP up to 70 with jetting, air & exhaust, but not 70 from the low 50's.

Regardless, I have not ridden a loaded for travel Bonnie, but with just me, they seem to have enough power.

Some people are talking hp and some people are talking rwhp which is making this discussion confusing. Let me see if I can clarify.

The stock Bonnies claim 67hp, but that is measured at the crank. At the rear wheel (as measured on a dyno) they tend to pull 54-55 rwhp out of the box.

I believe the author of that post was saying his bike went from low 50s rwhp to 70 rwhp, which is just on the edge of believability. It is also odd that he said he only gained a few pounds of torque... most gain more than that. It's possible that the Arrow pipes he's using are built to emphasize HP and don't give as much torque gain.

My bike was dyno tested in stock form at 53 rwhp. After airbox removal and new pipes (less free flowing than his Arrow system AFAIK), I had it tested again and found I was getting 63 rwhp, but I was a little lean. After richening up I believe I am getting 65 rwhp but I have not had it tested a third time. I also gained 10 ft/lbs of torque between stock and new pipes/airbox.

That's close to 20%.

Regardless, I don't believe I've seen anyone quite hit 70 rwhp with just airbox and pipes... to crack that number you would need to do something more expensive... like bigger carbs, hotter cams or a big bore kit... in addition to pipes/airbox (or mapping for EFI guys).

There are a couple guys that have gotten 110 rwhp out of these bikes but it is VERY expensive to get there.
SomethingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #90
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
You're gonna shake your head at my answer. I bought this brand new...The picture above is after a round of work and mods the first week I owned it to give it a Scrambler vibe.
Holy shit, that is nice!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote