Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #271
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,173

Thats really nice of you, Mike. Thanks a lot.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #272
Badger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Sounds like you certainly got plenty of use out of yours, Jason (I just finished reading your brilliant RR / Diary of an Airhead Abroad from the Australasian Safari)!

Honest, funny, inspiring, entertaining and very well written. Definitely worthy of publication.

Bravo!

Where can I read it?? Couldn't find it (link??)

Honey Badger Don't Give a Shit
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #273
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Where can I read it?? Couldn't find it (link??)
Think Stagey is still workin on it. he sent it to me as a Word doc, but I'm sure as soon as he feels it's fit for human consumption, Inmates will be the first to know. In the meantime, I believe there are edited highlights over in the Airheads thread though...

M

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #274
jayfredweb
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Question

Awesome thread! Aside from the last 3 or 4 pages of people requesting to be entered into the contest (you can enter me too!), I have enjoyed reading through this entire thread. Bc_seattle Ďs stolen review was great and had the best photos yet (Page 13, post #185).

Iím still in the break-in phase of my new R1200GS. I am intrigued by the Overland 60 Adventure system. From the photos Iíve seen, I can kind of figure out how the 15L pannier bags attach to the Adventure Platforms. Although I havenít seen a good close-up of how the platforms attach to the racks.

How secure are the platforms attached to the racks? Is there a proven method to secure (lock) the platforms to the rack? Just to keep the honest honest. Iím thinking more about the times Iím not using the bags at all, but perhaps still have a RotoPax of water and fuel attached, with their own lockable hardware.
jayfredweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #275
Hareball950
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Kiega Rack mounts

Does anyone have a recommendation for the exact mounting points of the overlander 30 on a KTM XC-W 500 2012? I just received my kit and am looking to see if anyone has already gone through the process.
Thanks
Hareball950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #276
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfredweb View Post
Awesome thread! Aside from the last 3 or 4 pages of people requesting to be entered into the contest (you can enter me too!), I have enjoyed reading through this entire thread. Bc_seattle Ďs stolen review was great and had the best photos yet (Page 13, post #185).

Iím still in the break-in phase of my new R1200GS. I am intrigued by the Overland 60 Adventure system. From the photos Iíve seen, I can kind of figure out how the 15L pannier bags attach to the Adventure Platforms. Although I havenít seen a good close-up of how the platforms attach to the racks.

How secure are the platforms attached to the racks? Is there a proven method to secure (lock) the platforms to the rack? Just to keep the honest honest. Iím thinking more about the times Iím not using the bags at all, but perhaps still have a RotoPax of water and fuel attached, with their own lockable hardware.

Hi Jay,

Glad you liked most of the thread (consider yourself entered for the draw too! )

To answer your questions about the Overlander 60:

The platforms attach super-securely to the racks via the cam lever mounts. However, the Overlander 60 was designed as a hardcore, off-road, wild camping type system, where weight-saving and the ability to quickly and easily remove and reattach the panniers, along with reduced chances of damaging the bike (in the event of an off) and rider (also in the event of an off, or when paddling / pushing through or over an obstacle) prove more important than security.
That's the trade-off for not having to haul massive 'tins' through the wilderness.

That said, it is simple to unclip and remove the entire platform, complete with bags or RotopaX, from the rack, to keep it safe at prolonged stops etc. And I am sure some kind of cable lock could be used to secure them against the entire units being stolen.

We have a few photos of the Overlander 60 mounted to Touratech racks on a GSA here: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...5&l=561da0193c. Hopefully, they will help clarify how the platforms attach, but let me know if you'd like any more detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #277
Bayoudude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I'm waiting for my rack to come in for my first DS bike. When it does, I'll have to make the short trip to NO and check out your stuff.a
Bayoudude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #278
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoudude View Post
I'm waiting for my rack to come in for my first DS bike. When it does, I'll have to make the short trip to NO and check out your stuff.a
Sure, thing!

Just hit me up with an email to michael@britkit.us when you're planning on stopping by. We don't have a Kriega showroom down here, but our most excellent dealer The Transportation Revolution New Orleans does, so I can run you through the gear there.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #279
Durwood
AKA Chinga D

Oddometer: 83
Package

Hey Michael,

Looking at the overlander 60 along with 1 roto pax water and 1 fuel. Do you have a deal working on this set-up? Going on KTM racks. Thanks!
Durwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #280
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
Hey Michael,

Looking at the overlander 60 along with 1 roto pax water and 1 fuel. Do you have a deal working on this set-up? Going on KTM racks. Thanks!

Unfortunately there are no deals available on this set-up, mate. But we've spoken since you posted this and I'm pretty sure everyone's happy.

Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 11-09-2012, 08:42 AM   #281
Dankarnov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
The Speed Triple is a real hassle to load up due to the dual high-mount pipes that limit storage options. Here mine's fit with two US-20s, one on a US-Tank adapter and the other one wearing a US-10 for a little more storage. This is after a couple hundred miles with the last few on gravel, hence the mess - the Kriega setup stayed secure and stable with zero issues. I put the soft stuff in the tankbag as a nice pillow for the long highway runs.

Dankarnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #282
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
...The Overlander gear was designed primarily for hardcore off-road use and the 30 is aimed squarely at Enduro / dirt bikes, which all have pretty much the same basic design, enabling bags to be mounted without frames. Adventure Touring type bikes generally require racks to mount side bags because these machines vary quite dramatically in layout...
Not sure where my te630 fits into this spectrum you describe to another user above. Would the Overlander 30 work for me and my dear husky? I would also like to keep away from a rack, I have been investigating the Kriega bags and the GL coyote (the white and black is awful tempting ;]). Do you have a third bag to fit on top between the two? Maybe the US-20 is a good match?
Old 11-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #283
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
The US10 makes a great day bag!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #284
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Plenty of room for some snacks, some spares and a sweater. All in a streamline package that compresses to almost nothing as it empties.

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #285
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankarnov View Post
The Speed Triple is a real hassle to load up due to the dual high-mount pipes that limit storage options. Here mine's fit with two US-20s, one on a US-Tank adapter and the other one wearing a US-10 for a little more storage. This is after a couple hundred miles with the last few on gravel, hence the mess - the Kriega setup stayed secure and stable with zero issues. I put the soft stuff in the tankbag as a nice pillow for the long highway runs.

Very nice Dankarnov!

The Speedy can be a bit awkward, so Kriega does tend to be pretty popular with owners. And that looks like a great set-up. you got there.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC