Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #361
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanson View Post
So I have finally narrowed my search down for luggage on my 2008 Ktm 690 smc. Im looking at the Kriega us-20 to hold my 15in macbook pro, textbook, binder misc clothes ect for commute to school and work. What is the best way to mount it to tail of a 2008 ktm 690 smc? There will be about 15 pounds +/- in bag. Cheers!
Nice narrowing, lhanson! But I would say that!

There are three proven ways to attach US packs to the 690:

1. Use the included Subframe Loops and Alloy Hook Straps to attach the bag to the subframe beneath the seat (may - but not neccessarily - require slotting some plastics to get to the subframe).
  2. Join the 4 x web loops together in pairs and run them under the seat (same fitment as above, but with the seat securing the load, rather than the subframe).
  3. Pick up a set of Rack Loops for quick, easy and secure tail mounting of any US pack without the need for a rack.
Option 3 would be my favorite.

PM me a number if you'd like me to call and discuss your precise requirements in any further detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #362
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Ditch the hook straps and use regular straps directly under the seat. That's how I've been doing it for years. Works nicely and doesn't touch the body work.
Yup! That's the same principal as Option 2 in my post above, but there's no need to ditch the Hook Straps.

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #363
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
I finally got around to installing my Overlander 30 system on my 640 KTM.
I'm really happy with how the install went. It was a lot of trial and error, but it was also easy to redo my early attempts.
The ProMoto Billet rack worked fine with this system. I just had to enlarge 2 holes that were already in the rack to mount the rack loops and use 2 button head allen bolts.

And here are some homemade loops for my US 10/20 Drypacks;

Cheers
Yeah - what traveltoad said i.e: ...

Looks like a nice set up, although have you considered moving the Rack Loops to the rearwards rack mounts? This will allow you to shift the bags further back, if you need to.

Fire me over a contact number if you'd like me to call and see if we can refine it even further. However, if you've got it working, you've got it working!

Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #364
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Yeah - what traveltoad said i.e: ...

Looks like a nice set up, although have you considered moving the Rack Loops to the rearwards rack mounts? This will allow you to shift the bags further back, if you need to.

Fire me over a contact number if you'd like me to call and see if we can refine it even further. However, if you've got it working, you've got it working!

Enjoy your rides with Kriega!

Michael
Michael;

The rear rack mounts were the first mount I tried.......they did not work because I could not get a good pull on the straps.

I tried almost every combination in the honeycomb of the rack and even bolted the rack loops bolted to the outside of the rack.
No other combination gave me a good pull of the straps, made the bags sit funny, or not as secure.

Keep in mind I wanted to be able to strap my US 30 Combo onto the rack and still have access to the saddle bags without disturbing what was on the rack.

Once I finally found the best rear mount, I then played with the ladder straps and found the #8 loop to be the best for height, security and space for me to move. One loop in either direction does make quite a difference, so I still have room if the amount of luggage allows a changel

Like Traveltoad suggested, I reversed the right bag circumference straps so that if I fell, the straps would not come loose so easily.

One question I had was that the strap mounts to the bags pivot, do I need to tighten them or worry about them coming loose?

I forgot to take photo's of the fork seal covers........they look nice!!

Cheers
Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #365
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:

Michael
Ok, you need to offer a tank pannier harness asap. That's freaking great!

I always thought it would be neat if you offered a bolt on rack kind of thing. Kind of like the way you can get ortlieb dry bags to bolt onto the back of a hard pannier.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #366
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,029
"... just a few days ago Dom (one of the two Kriega owner / designers) asked for my input on potential new product development and I suggested a couple of different sized Kubes or stuff sacks, with either color coded sections, or a 'window' to insert labels, so it's easy to remember what's in what."

Yes! Thanks for nudging him on that.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:35 AM   #367
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
"... just a few days ago Dom (one of the two Kriega owner / designers) asked for my input on potential new product development and I suggested a couple of different sized Kubes or stuff sacks, with either color coded sections, or a 'window' to insert labels, so it's easy to remember what's in what."

Yes! Thanks for nudging him on that.
Seems like what they need is a way to use their bags as panniers since so many of us have already invested in them. I'm not the only one working on a work around. I'm surprised how much interest I've received on my project from 3 continents and counting
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #368
Steveo.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I've got a couple of questions for you guys. I've currently got an R25 that I use every day for commuting (worlds greatest backpack!!), a Tank adapter, US20 and a US10. I'm trying to figure out a couple things and was hoping for some help. The bags are great but I often feel like I'm not smart enough to get them mounted, and have a couple of questions.

First, I'm riding a 2011 Monster 796 and don't have much to attach to on the back end. I did manage to get the US20 on the back and when full, it's secure but when it's empty I can't figure out a way to cinch it tight as the straps seem too long, even though the attachment loops are as short as I can make them,and still hook the alloy straps to. Am I missing something or setting them up wrong to not be able to tighten them down when the bag is empty?

Second, I carry all my rain gear (jacket, pants and gloves) in a US10 and normally just stuff it in the R25 when I'm in the city buy would like to be able to strap it to the outside of the R25 once in a while when I need to carry more than I was expecting when I left the house. What's the best way to connect the US10 to the R25? Right now I've got the alloy hooks connected to the bag beside the mini D rings and then clip the US10 on like that. Is that the intended design, or is there a better way? I may actually install the tank adapter that's been sitting in the garage for almost a year and use that instead with the US10 but I've been worried that leaving it on for an entire season will scratch the hell out of my tank.

I'm planning on grabbing two more US10's soon for my trip this summer so I've got a tank bag plus a 10-20-10 combo on the back so I can carry everything I need for a week or so on the road but want to get what I have sorted first. Thanks in advance for the help. ....Steve (Kriega rookie )

Steveo. screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 01:18 PM
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #369
Steveo.
Adventurer

Also, if there's a detailed photo or set of instructions on how to attach the 10(s) to the 20, that would be great. I got it on there, but I'm not sure it's how they were intended to mate. I found all the straps in the mesh pocket of the bag but no instructions and I can't find any on the Kriega site. Thanks again! ...Steve
Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #370
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
Also, if there's a detailed photo or set of instructions on how to attach the 10(s) to the 20, that would be great. I got it on there, but I'm not sure it's how they were intended to mate. I found all the straps in the mesh pocket of the bag but no instructions and I can't find any on the Kriega site. Thanks again! ...Steve
At the 3:20 mark in the Revzilla video, they give a quick glimpse of how they mate: http://youtu.be/BwHNquYly68
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #371
Steveo.
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
At the 3:20 mark in the Revzilla video, they give a quick glimpse of how they mate: http://youtu.be/BwHNquYly68
Thanks for the link. I checked out that one as well as all the other Revzilla videos to see if they showed how to do it but other than the vague reference to "these loops", there's not much info. I've also found that if you were to remove something from one of the bags, the whole setup needs to be reset. Unless every bag is 100% packed full, it seems loose and wobbly. Not to mention that if I got the US20 close to empty it would probably fall right off the bike, and not hold the 10's at all.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #372
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Hey Steveo,

Sorry that your pack didn't come with instructions - they are usually always in the mesh pocket and are on the website if you follow the link from the US pack pages to the Alloy Hook Strap fitting section. However, I have made them available for download on SmugMug too. Just click on the images below to get to them.

Attaching to bike:

Building combinations:

Carrying off the bike (US-20 and US-30 only):

Hope that helps, but please let me know if you need any more detail.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #373
Steveo.
Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Steveo,

Sorry that your pack didn't come with instructions - they are usually always in the mesh pocket and are on the website if you follow the link from the US pack pages to the Alloy Hook Strap fitting section. However, I have made them available for download on SmugMug too. Just click on the images below to get to them.

Hope that helps, but please let me know if you need any more detail.

Cheers,

Michael

HUGE help! Thanks! Looks like I may have the older version of the US20, which was part of my problem, so I couldn't remove the whole "kit" as one unit. I seem to have a mixture of older straps and the newer stuff which didn't jive with any instructions. Maybe an older system with some newer straps? Either way, it's coming together now.

Any company would be fortunate to have you as their customer service guy. I appreciate your help and quick reply. The drawings are perfect. ...Steve
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #374
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Seems like what they need is a way to use their bags as panniers since so many of us have already invested in them. I'm not the only one working on a work around. I'm surprised how much interest I've received on my project from 3 continents and counting
Hey levain,

As I posted in your very interesting thread (which you obviously know all about, so this reply if for the benefit of readers of this thread), the US packs were specifically designed to work as tail packs. Something which they are very good at.

The requirements for tail packs and panniers are very different (link to my post in your thread on the whys & wherefores here) and so when the chaps back in the UK set about the task of creating their first pannier systems, they obviously designed the [Overlander] packs from the ground, up.

However, I am always more than happy to see if I can assist with your quest to farkle a new application for our supremely adaptability packs, so feel free to post up any questions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #375
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
HUGE help! Thanks! Looks like I may have the older version of the US20, which was part of my problem, so I couldn't remove the whole "kit" as one unit. I seem to have a mixture of older straps and the newer stuff which didn't jive with any instructions. Maybe an older system with some newer straps? Either way, it's coming together now.

Any company would be fortunate to have you as their customer service guy. I appreciate your help and quick reply. The drawings are perfect. ...Steve
Thanks for the kind words, Steveo. That's what I'm here for!

In that case, these are the instructions for the pre-2012 packs, which came with standard compression straps:

Pre- and post 2012 packs are still combination compatible - aside from the straps, the only difference is the newer US-20 has web loops (to accommodate Alloy Hooks) on the top and base in place of the rectangular plastic 'rings' which the older compression straps were threaded through.

So, if you own a pre-2012 US-20 and newer US-10 [or 20] pack(s), here's what I'd suggest:
  • Switch out the straps on the US-20 for the Alloy Hook Straps that came with one of your new US-10s and use them to fit the US-20 to the bike.
  • Use the compression straps from the US-20 to attach the US-10 to the top of the US-20, as shown above.
If you want to attach 2 x US-10 in a UScombo40 configuration, you'll need an extra set of compression straps. Early 2012 models shipped with these as well as Alloy Hook Straps, but that is being phased out. Let me know if you didn't get a set with yours and - if you PM me an address - I'll mail you a set FOC.

Also, Alloy Hook Straps work well for rack mount scenarios, but 'tie-on' Loop Straps are also available for pre- and [mainly for] post 2012 bags too.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 06:18 PM