Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #511
Steveo.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Thanks a lot for the reply and advice. I'll dig through the thread and net for a few photos of the Hydra and check out how the US5 would fit on my bike. I've got the US10 and 20 but wouldn't mind picking up a couple 5's for the dirtbike and to add to my street collection as well. Cheers. ....Steve
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #512
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply and advice. I'll dig through the thread and net for a few photos of the Hydra and check out how the US5 would fit on my bike. I've got the US10 and 20 but wouldn't mind picking up a couple 5's for the dirtbike and to add to my street collection as well. Cheers. ....Steve
My pleasure, Steve!

Hopefully these pics will save you a bit of digging:

Hydro-3 being raced at Romaniacs (with a US-5 attached to it and in combination with an R8 waistpack):

The pack in all its glory:

The military-spec reservoir:

US-5 attached (mesh base out - you can also attach it the other way 'round) to the Hydro-3:

US-5 on a rear fender (look closely! )

And the twin pack option of two US-5s bolted onto the side panels:

You can also run the US-5 across the bike with the addition of a set of Rack Loops and Cam Straps:

Oh.. and with the Rack Loops you could also run your existing US packs without any additional hardware if you wanted e.g. (shown here in conjunction with the Overlander 30):

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 05:00 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #513
Steveo.
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
My pleasure, Steve!

Hopefully these pics will save you a bit of digging:
Again, thanks! I think I'm leaning towards the Hydra and 2 of the US5's. One on the bike and one on the pack. Should work out well.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #514
Steveo.
Adventurer

Do all the US5's come with the eyelets like the picture below, or is that a special version or strap that was added? Thanks! ....Steve

Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #515
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
Do all the US5's come with the eyelets like the picture below, or is that a special version or strap that was added? Thanks! ....Steve

That's the standard pack right there. They all come complete with the reinforced straps with eyelets.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 02-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #516
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Great.... Now you post all those pics of the Hydro-3. I had to dig for them...

I'll check when mine gets here, but I think I'll be ordering the US-5 as a supplement; probably with some additional straps. Good place to stash a jacket liner or sweatshirt & extra gloves if they will fit in there.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #517
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,322
I just got a Hydro 3 pack with a US5 bag to use in the Tuareg Rally in 2 weeks and am totally smitten by the functionality and quality of the bag. No way will this ever leak and it looks absolutely bomb proof while not being intrusive at all.

Different league compared to the Camebags I was using before.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #518
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

I'll check when mine gets here, but I think I'll be ordering the US-5 as a supplement; probably with some additional straps. Good place to stash a jacket liner or sweatshirt & extra gloves if they will fit in there.
I'm guessing you want to use a thin liner or thin sweatshirt or summer gloves in the US-5, a winter liner or winter gloves might be a but much for it.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 AM   #519
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
I have one more question.

Will Geiggerig 2l bladder fit inside Hydro 3?
Bladder is about 20cmX30cmm and pretty puffy with water and air in it.
Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #520
VFR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I'm guessing you want to use a thin liner or thin sweatshirt or summer gloves in the US-5, a winter liner or winter gloves might be a but much for it.

I pretty much figured that when I looked at the dimensions. For now I use a bungee net over the tail/dry bag on the back. If it rains, anything in there is gonna get wet.

If it ain't fun, I don't do it!!!

Stuff - I need more Stuff....
VFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #521
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR View Post

Ooops! Must have had an unplanned moment of efficiency. That wasn't fair and it won't happen again!

Quote:
Like, HaChayalBoded says, the US-5 will accommodate thinner liners / rain jackets and gloves. Heavier duty thermal liners etc, might not pack down quite tight enough to fit into 5 liters of space. Depends on the type and size of gear, but the US-5 is definitely a worthwhile addition and significantly boosts capacity of the race-ready Hydro-3 to the degree where it can be all you need for shorter rides.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 09:11 AM
Old 02-22-2013, 09:02 AM   #522
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
I just got a Hydro 3 pack with a US5 bag to use in the Tuareg Rally in 2 weeks and am totally smitten by the functionality and quality of the bag. No way will this ever leak and it looks absolutely bomb proof while not being intrusive at all.

Different league compared to the Camebags I was using before.
Excellent.

My work here is done.

For now...

BritKit LLC
Old 02-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #523
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
I have one more question.

Will Geiggerig 2l bladder fit inside Hydro 3?
Bladder is about 20cmX30cmm and pretty puffy with water and air in it.
Maaaaayyyyybbeeee...

That reservoir is a little too wide when fully... ummm.. full. You might be able to squish the main part in if you didn't fill it all the way up, but the slide closure on the top could be a bit too big of an ask. I'm also not sure whether not having it fully pumped up and expanded would reduce the effectiveness of pressure system on those things. That said, they are manufactured by Hydrapak, who also make our hydration system for us, so there's a chance that the 3-liter version might have similar dimensions to the one in the Hydro-3, although the air might still make it a bit too fat...

To be honest, I've never even come close to busting a blood vessel draining every last drop of moisture out of a Hydro-3. The way the standard reservoir seats, along with the quality of the valves and the big bore tube makes taking on essential fluids while riding as relaxing as sipping on a perfectly mixed Martini by the pool.

OK, maybe not quite, but you get the picture.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 09:17 AM
Old 02-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #524
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,349
Hey Michael, I have a question\possible suggestion.

One thing has really really annoyed me with the half a dozen different Kriega bags that I have, as well as some of the other dry bags that I have, and that is the small opening compared to the actual volume of the bags.

Is there any way that the design can be changed ever so slightly with two gussets in the opening?

Picture a brown paper bag, empty and open like a full rectangle. To close it you push in the gusset and then roll down. I've seen plenty of drybags like this that are still submersible, so it will not take away from that and will also allow larger items to fit in the bags.

Just a thought.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #525
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Hey Michael, I have a question\possible suggestion.

One thing has really really annoyed me with the half a dozen different Kriega bags that I have, as well as some of the other dry bags that I have, and that is the small opening compared to the actual volume of the bags.

Is there any way that the design can be changed ever so slightly with two gussets in the opening?

Picture a brown paper bag, empty and open like a full rectangle. To close it you push in the gusset and then roll down. I've seen plenty of drybags like this that are still submersible, so it will not take away from that and will also allow larger items to fit in the bags.

Just a thought.
I'll pass it on back to the UK, mate. But I'm reasonably sure they'll have considered this. I think the issue could be that the other drybags you're referring to (possibly general camping or water sports jobs) wouldn't even come close to withstanding the punishment that gets dealt out to bike gear.

Bike gear has to be made out of far heavier duty and more technical materials which dictate what you can and can't do with the design. Also, I suspect having a pleat / gusset is going to mean you pretty much have to have a squared-off edges and corners, which are going to necessitate seams and stitching precisely where you don't want them (i.e. at areas of maximum stress / exposure), which are going to be more prone to failure. My guess is that it's also going to reduce capacity at the 'top' top of the pack, in just the same way as the grocery bags in your example.

But like I said, all feedback is greatly appreciated and I will definitely make the chaps back in 'Blighty' aware of your post and suggestion.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC