Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #541
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 7,125
I"ve been using my R15 for the better part of three years . . . . it's my go to work backpack, and has protected my laptop in some fairly homeric thunderstorms . . . . combined with a US-10 sgtrapped to the back, laptop, work papers, and an extra fleece sweater and gloves (weather is highly variable round here) are all ready at any time -- this has allowed me to commute without bags on the bike . . . .

Other than the heretofor white lettering on the pack being slightly dirty looking, there's nothing to tip you off that it's not new outa the box . . .

Given the length of service this thing has already given, it's close to being the biggest motorcycle gear bargain of my lifetime . . .

If anyone is on the fence, just buy whatever you are considering -- you'll be pleased, and life is too short to overthink stuff ;-}
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #542
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Exactly.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #543
NuckaMan
Space Available

Oddometer: 335
By no means am I brand loyalist to anything, especially when it's simply based a brand name only, but for luggage stuff, Kriega is where I look first.

I travel alot for both work and pleasure (more for work unfortunately) and if there is one thing I have learned over the multi-millions of miles I have logged is definitely invest in good luggage and good pair of comforable shoes.

Cause sore and uncomfortable feet and a busted strap/zipper makes life on the road a little harder than it needs to be.

2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

2013 Triumph Bonneville
NuckaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #544
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
As my Camelback sucked (it moved around too much when filled w/ water plus Camelback gives $ to anti-motorcycle groups) for ADV riding, I decided to get a R15 backpack, a Kube pocket (attaches to backpack front strap) for quick access to a digital camera and a Stash pocket to keep some important things organized.

All I can is WOW this is by far the best fitting and well thought out pack I've ever seen. The attention to detail is over the top! I went for the 15 to mostly hold water and a few items as I don't like a ton of weight on my shoulders when riding long days or when moving around riding off-road.
If you need something bigger and slightly longer on the back get the 20.

The bladder, when full, does take up some inner space, but there is still plenty of room for additional clothes, tools and food. There is a nice big open pocket at the bottom of the pack that would be ideal for some heavier items that need to sit lower.

The shoulder strap system and curved back pack hug your body perfectly and is designed for motorcycling. I put on my Klim jacket and it matched up great. I could tell there was weight in the pack the the strap design does a much getter job of evenly disturbing it compared to what a Camelback feels like. The chest clip is sized to use with gloves on.

The water bladder itself is the best design i've seen. The top fill port is a double roll over design (like a dry bag) and then an easy slide-on clip that holds it rock solid. It's big and easy to fill and clean if need be. This clip is then strapped inside the backpack, so it does not move around plus the lower inner pocket (for the bladder) itself has cinch down straps to keep it all tight & from shifting. Nice details in my book!

The most amazing feature of the bladder is it has a water-proof quick release for the hose line at the base connection. You leave the water line all in place and just pull out the bag alone to fill it, then click it back in place and strap it down. That feature rocks.

The water bite valve works great and the flow is well matched to what you can swallow. The valve itself has a 1/2 turn on and off feature plus it has a cover cap (with a lanyard so you don't loose it) so you can cover the cap and keep it from getting all covered in dirt. Once again a unique feature only a motorcyclist would understand and use.

The bag itself has water-proof zippers and material (but not seam sealed so it would leak some). It has a nice-sized front accessed pocket for wallets, thin cameras, their Stash bag etc. Then there is the main-body large pocket. The pack has 4 side load cinch straps, plus a waist strap too. Inside the main pocket cover is another smaller-item pocket done with a different see through white material. Then there is a key clip.

As you can tell, I'm loving this pack just from the features and the amazing fit. When the snow melts i'll get some seat time in, but I can tell know this is gonna be 1000 times better than the Camelback i'm using now.

Thanks, Bill

Here are some pics:

Totally agree with this! I replaced my Camelback with the 15 also!

Hey, you should put the Anal lube away before taking pictures in your bathroom!!
Old 02-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #545
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
As my Camelback sucked (it moved around too much when filled w/ water plus Camelback gives $ to anti-motorcycle groups) for ADV riding, I decided to get a R15 backpack, a Kube pocket (attaches to backpack front strap) for quick access to a digital camera and a Stash pocket to keep some important things organized.

All I can is WOW this is by far the best fitting and well thought out pack I've ever seen. The attention to detail is over the top! I went for the 15 to mostly hold water and a few items as I don't like a ton of weight on my shoulders when riding long days or when moving around riding off-road.
If you need something bigger and slightly longer on the back get the 20.

The bladder, when full, does take up some inner space, but there is still plenty of room for additional clothes, tools and food. There is a nice big open pocket at the bottom of the pack that would be ideal for some heavier items that need to sit lower.

The shoulder strap system and curved back pack hug your body perfectly and is designed for motorcycling. I put on my Klim jacket and it matched up great. I could tell there was weight in the pack the the strap design does a much getter job of evenly disturbing it compared to what a Camelback feels like. The chest clip is sized to use with gloves on.

The water bladder itself is the best design i've seen. The top fill port is a double roll over design (like a dry bag) and then an easy slide-on clip that holds it rock solid. It's big and easy to fill and clean if need be. This clip is then strapped inside the backpack, so it does not move around plus the lower inner pocket (for the bladder) itself has cinch down straps to keep it all tight & from shifting. Nice details in my book!

The most amazing feature of the bladder is it has a water-proof quick release for the hose line at the base connection. You leave the water line all in place and just pull out the bag alone to fill it, then click it back in place and strap it down. That feature rocks.

The water bite valve works great and the flow is well matched to what you can swallow. The valve itself has a 1/2 turn on and off feature plus it has a cover cap (with a lanyard so you don't loose it) so you can cover the cap and keep it from getting all covered in dirt. Once again a unique feature only a motorcyclist would understand and use.

The bag itself has water-proof zippers and material (but not seam sealed so it would leak some). It has a nice-sized front accessed pocket for wallets, thin cameras, their Stash bag etc. Then there is the main-body large pocket. The pack has 4 side load cinch straps, plus a waist strap too. Inside the main pocket cover is another smaller-item pocket done with a different see through white material. Then there is a key clip.

As you can tell, I'm loving this pack just from the features and the amazing fit. When the snow melts i'll get some seat time in, but I can tell know this is gonna be 1000 times better than the Camelback i'm using now.

Thanks, Bill

Here are some pics:

Woah!

What a glowing review. Thank you so much for taking the time to put it together. It really is greatly appreciated.

Kriega kit is pretty easy to 'get', but it's always very satisfying when someone does just that right off the bat.

Enjoy your rides with Kriega. Bearing in mind what you do for a living, I'm guess that this particular R15 is going to be involved in some of the epic ones anyone can make in this great country.

Cheers,

Michael

P.S. The waiststrap is detachable and only really needed when the going gets super rough. Also - not sure if you picked up on this or not, but the upper harness has sliders and white dots on it, so you can adjust the height that the pack sits at and also accommodate lighter or thicker layers of clothing. Just yank the tops of the straps out of their housing to create some slack and adjust to whichever setting feels best for that particular ride.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #546
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Hey, you should put the Anal lube away before taking pictures in your bathroom!!
I actually found myself looking for a bottle in that photo... right before I realized I probably shouldn't even really know what it would look like.

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 10:33 PM
Old 02-28-2013, 04:16 PM   #547
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
I"ve been using my R15 for the better part of three years . . . . it's my go to work backpack, and has protected my laptop in some fairly homeric thunderstorms . . . . combined with a US-10 sgtrapped to the back, laptop, work papers, and an extra fleece sweater and gloves (weather is highly variable round here) are all ready at any time -- this has allowed me to commute without bags on the bike . . . .

Other than the heretofor white lettering on the pack being slightly dirty looking, there's nothing to tip you off that it's not new outa the box . . .

Given the length of service this thing has already given, it's close to being the biggest motorcycle gear bargain of my lifetime . . .

If anyone is on the fence, just buy whatever you are considering -- you'll be pleased, and life is too short to overthink stuff ;-}
Maaaannn... the awesomeness just keeps on coming.

I've used Kriega equipment for nearly ten years now and - even after it became a 'job', around 20 months ago - I am still just as in love with the stuff as I was when I bought it back then. What you just wrote entirely mirrors my experience with it. And that's fantastic to hear.

Thanks for sharing your take and for choosing Kriega.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 03-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #548
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Maaaannn... the awesomeness just keeps on coming.
Yes it does!

Kriega Review
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #549
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Is that a Kriega bag on the back of Bond's bike??

Cheers
Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #550
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:

Cheers
Nothing but the hottest chicks and best luggage for Bond.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #551
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 152
Mike it was a real pleasure meeting you this weekend. Being in New Orleans all the time, It's a shame I waited this long to look you up.

I'm back in town until tomorrow. Oddly enough my camelbak died a horrible ugly death this short trip. Figure I'll replace it with an R20. Please Pm me with how and where to get one today if possible.

Thanks,
Steve
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #552
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:

Cheers
Looks like it.

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #553
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
Or you can buy the whole thing, only 100,000.00

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #554
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 172
Question R15 size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post

How big laptop could you squize in the pack? I have a 15" toshiba and its 390mmX260mm and I am on a market for a backpack to use for riding to college with my computer and all its cables.

Thanks!
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #555
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Looks like it.

Indeed! http://blog.kriega.us/bond-trusts-kriega/

And we didn't even have to pay!

BritKit LLC