Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #556
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Or you can buy the whole thing, only £100,000.00
If you buy it, I'll even chuck in a set of Alloy Hook Straps, which were obviously way too trick for Bond's set-up. Hence the ratty cargo net.

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #557
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
Yes it does!

Kriega Review
Overland Journal is scripture. Well chuffed with that one.

Fairly safe to say they like the gear!

BritKit LLC
Old 03-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #558
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSea View Post
Mike it was a real pleasure meeting you this weekend. Being in New Orleans all the time, It's a shame I waited this long to look you up.

I'm back in town until tomorrow. Oddly enough my camelbak died a horrible ugly death this short trip. Figure I'll replace it with an R20. Please Pm me with how and where to get one today if possible.

Thanks,
Steve
You too, fella! I'll give you a call right now.

BritKit LLC
Old 03-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #559
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadM View Post
How big laptop could you squize in the pack? I have a 15" toshiba and its 390mmX260mm and I am on a market for a backpack to use for riding to college with my computer and all its cables.

Thanks!
Hi MadM,

Thanks for chipping in.

The R15 is a really compact pack originally designed for off-road use, but still works perfectly as a daypack in any situation. It's dimensions are H16.9" x W9.8" x D5.9". So it'll fit any laptop up to roughly that size. Sadly, I'm fairly sure this doesn't include yours.

The R20 however, is H18.5" x W11.0" x D5.9" and will accommodate most 15" laptops.

That said... the R25 would be the one I recommend. Not because it costs more, but because it is designed specifically for the kind of use you describe and has uses slightly heavier duty materials with a sturdier harness. It's also even more water-resistant than the R15 and 20.

This our best-selling pack due to it having the perfect balance of capacity and physical size, so it is brilliant at pretty much everything.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #560
DeepSea
electronically challenged

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
You too, fella! I'll give you a call right now.
Hooked up. I'll let you know how it works out.
Research is what I'm doing, when I don't know what I'm doing.
DeepSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #561
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Hi MadM,

Thanks for chipping in.

The R15 is a really compact pack originally designed for off-road use, but still works perfectly as a daypack in any situation. It's dimensions are H16.9" x W9.8" x D5.9". So it'll fit any laptop up to roughly that size. Sadly, I'm fairly sure this doesn't include yours.

The R20 however, is H18.5" x W11.0" x D5.9" and will accommodate most 15" laptops.

That said... the R25 would be the one I recommend. Not because it costs more, but because it is designed specifically for the kind of use you describe and has uses slightly heavier duty materials with a sturdier harness. It's also even more water-resistant than the R15 and 20.

This our best-selling pack due to it having the perfect balance of capacity and physical size, so it is brilliant at pretty much everything.

Hope that helps, but let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,

Michael
Hey!

Thanks for your answer. I will go and see a used R35 that some one is selling locally and if it is in a bad shape I will be looking at a new R25.
My Blog
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #562
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,116
Quote:

My 13" macbook air with a case fits in the pocket of my R20 like it was made for it. Great backpack! I spent a week with it loaded down wandering Paris last week and never even knew it was there.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #563
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Ténéré 660 x Overlander 60

Just found these shots on http://midlifemorocco.blogspot.com

And I know, I know... the 660 Ténéré isn't available in the US (typical, because I really want one!), so apologies if this makes anyone sick. I just thought the system looked really neat on it and the pics might be of interest.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 03-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #564
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
My 13" macbook air with a case fits in the pocket of my R20 like it was made for it. Great backpack! I spent a week with it loaded down wandering Paris last week and never even knew it was there.
Très bon, mon frère! Très bon!

BritKit LLC
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #565
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
OK going to give the Overlander 30 a try along with a couple pull straps for the bike.

A question on packs.

I have used hiking packs due to the suspension of the pack and its ability to handle the load effectively. Kriega has got a different take on this system and not quite sure it makes sense to me but willing to give it a shot.

Here's what I need to replace:

A 25 liter pack that carries 3 liters of fluids, 11" laptop, and the rest of the stuff.

A feature I enjoy in my various packs is multiple storage compartments to keep me organized without having to dig through 25 liters of stuff looking for things.

*passport and bike paperwork in one location (handy for border crossings)
* insulin, needles and glucose meter in separate compartment
* wads of cash in secret compartment hidden from view when digging inside the pack
* Motion Pro multi tool and headlight in another small compartment for convenience

Rest of the stuff in the main compartment.

What would be the pack I should be looking for from Kriega? Keep in mind I'm not stuck on the 25 liter size and could trim down to a little smaller size if it works.

Thank you.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #566
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
ftb;

I'll let Michael nail the sizing for you, but I can tell you that the hydro 3 and the R15 just seem to dissapear due to the strap system.
What is the red thing above your ugly feet?

What did you decide on for a luggage system???

Cheers
Old 03-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #567
pechorin75
n00b

Oddometer: 9
US20 / tank adaptor issues

Hi -

First time posting, but I'm hoping Mike from Kriega might be able to give me some insight here. I recently purchased a new US20 bag w/ the tankbag adaptor kit for my BMW K1300S. I'd read lots of good reviews, and though I'd never used a tankbag before, I thought it sounded like something worth trying.

Well....now that I've had a chance to play around with the bag/adaptor (i.e., test mount it on the bike), I'm wondering if I'm either missing something or if the stuff just isn't a good fit for the K13S, or...what.

I guess the main issue is the attachment of the bag to the adaptor. According to the instructions, you attach the alloy hooks to the loops along the side of the adaptor. Seems simple enough. But in practice, doing that requires a 90-degree twist in the straps (the loops are side-to-side, rather than front-to-back)...and something about that just leaves me scratching my head, because it's like the hooks are trying to pull themselves out of the loops when tension is applied. It may be secure enough, but it just seems odd...

...especially considering that all the other loops the alloy hooks are designed to mate with are oriented in the "proper" direction.

Anyway, I then made a cursory inspection of the underseat area on the bike and discovered that mounting the bag on the rear portion of the seat (because of its shape, and the inaccessibility of frame rails) looked iffy as well...and after listening to all the various straps and hooks clanking around on my paint while messing with it, I pretty much decided that I was done with the whole thing.

But before I put the stuff on eBay, I want to make sure I'm not being too hasty. Am I missing something really obvious? Do I just have a warped conception of how a tankbag should fit? I was picturing something nice and tightly bound to the adaptor, and thus the bike...but I ended up with this big, awkward floppy thing with straps coming down at odd angles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
pechorin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 PM   #568
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
ftb;

I'll let Michael nail the sizing for you, but I can tell you that the hydro 3 and the R15 just seem to dissapear due to the strap system.
What is the red thing above your ugly feet?

What did you decide on for a luggage system???

Cheers

I'm goona give the OL 30 a try thanks to the brainwashing (by you and others) of this thread.

Red thing is a Sven Saw

Fits in the packs avalanche probe pocket perfectly and zips shut. Pefect for getting rid of nagging wives and GF's.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM   #569
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,636
team FTB, I am sure Michael will chime in... I would say it is between the R15 or the R20. And, personally, I'd go for the R20 (I had an R15 and moved "up" to the R20), though I do not carry a laptop, so maybe others will have slightly different advice regarding that. Neither the R15 nor the R20 probably have as many organizational pockets as you are used to... but I have found both packs easy enough to get and keep organized.

I keep a US5 strapped to the outside of my R20 most of the time. If the US5 is empty... it is flat and light though it gives me extra (waterproof) storage when needed.

I also have a kube on one of the straps:
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #570
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pechorin75 View Post
Hi -

First time posting, but I'm hoping Mike from Kriega might be able to give me some insight here. I recently purchased a new US20 bag w/ the tankbag adaptor kit for my BMW K1300S. I'd read lots of good reviews, and though I'd never used a tankbag before, I thought it sounded like something worth trying.

Well....now that I've had a chance to play around with the bag/adaptor (i.e., test mount it on the bike), I'm wondering if I'm either missing something or if the stuff just isn't a good fit for the K13S, or...what.

I guess the main issue is the attachment of the bag to the adaptor. According to the instructions, you attach the alloy hooks to the loops along the side of the adaptor. Seems simple enough. But in practice, doing that requires a 90-degree twist in the straps (the loops are side-to-side, rather than front-to-back)...and something about that just leaves me scratching my head, because it's like the hooks are trying to pull themselves out of the loops when tension is applied. It may be secure enough, but it just seems odd...

...especially considering that all the other loops the alloy hooks are designed to mate with are oriented in the "proper" direction.

Anyway, I then made a cursory inspection of the underseat area on the bike and discovered that mounting the bag on the rear portion of the seat (because of its shape, and the inaccessibility of frame rails) looked iffy as well...and after listening to all the various straps and hooks clanking around on my paint while messing with it, I pretty much decided that I was done with the whole thing.

But before I put the stuff on eBay, I want to make sure I'm not being too hasty. Am I missing something really obvious? Do I just have a warped conception of how a tankbag should fit? I was picturing something nice and tightly bound to the adaptor, and thus the bike...but I ended up with this big, awkward floppy thing with straps coming down at odd angles.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Hi pechorin,

While I'm deeply honored that you popped your 'ADV cherry' with a post in the Kriega thread (careful now, this forum can be habit forming! ), I am somewhat distressed that the post related to problems getting your gear to work...

That said, I am pleased to say that I can help and we can absolutely get a perfect fit on the big Beemer!

Full instructions were included with your equipment, but just for ease of reference I've posted them below (click on the image to access larger downloadable versions if you need to):

For the tail mount, please refer to the alternative set-up, which involves joining the 4 x subframe loops into pairs to form 2 x long straps. Once you have set the ideal length (generally approx 1"-2" wider than your seat), simply lay the 2 x straps across the area under the seat, with the loops on each end just protruding from under it. Then refit the seat, trapping the straps beneath it.

From there on-in, it's just a case of placing the bag on the seat, clipping the Alloy Hook Straps into the top of the bag, hooking them into the loops protruding from beneath your seat and cinching down tight. To remove the bag, simply slacken off the Hook Straps (leaving them clipped into the bag) at the QR clip and unhook. The US-20 has web loops on the base of the bag, which you can attach the hooks to, in order to keep them tidy while carrying the bag off the bike. The subframe loops can remain under the seat.

The only time you really need to use the QR clips on the top of the bag is for quick access on the go. This way you prevent the hooks 'clanking around' at any point.

This option is very secure and works well for bikes where access to the subframe is limited or non-existent.

With regard to your issue with the tank fit, I must apologize for the fact that this little tip isn't in the instructions, but I have asked the chaps back in the UK to modify the sheets so that it is included in future.

While the attachment method above is 100% secure, in order to eliminate the twisting of the straps you mention, I find that threading the the Alloy Hooks through the webbing loops on the US Tank base plate (from the outside, in) then attaching the hook to its own strap is much tidier and just as secure.

Like so:

I understand that the first install can be something of a 'head-scratcher' (it was the same for me all those years ago!) but I hope that the info above shows that it really is 'easy once you know how'.

Please let me know if that solves your dilemma and how you like the gear once you've had chance to really test it. Or if I can be of any further assistance.

Thanks and all the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 11:57 AM