Cheers
Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #722
woolsocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hey woolsocks,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with your tank set-up. However, I'm sure I can resolve them for you.

The set-up you saw on that Tiger 800 was prior to the introduction of the Alloy Hooks Straps. The compression straps in that photo did the job, but were a little fiddly if you wanted to ride with and without the bag because you needed to remove a clip and the strap keepers from one end of each strap to thread it on to and off of the base plate. Below are the instructions you will have received with the US Tank, which show the Alloy Hooks simply hooked into the web loops on the base plate...

... However, I much prefer to thread the hooks through the loops and then attach them back on their own strap, as shown here:

This is tidier, but just as easy to remove the bag, complete with straps. Although you can still use the quick-release clips on the top of the pack for quick, temporary removal, if you wish.

As for the straps slipping, this is absolutely not normal. May I ask if you'd be so kind as to refer back to the instruction sheet and check that you have threaded the straps through the buckles exactly as shown? Just to be on the safe side you can also 'lock-off' the forward straps, by threading them back through the buckle one more time, if you wish.

I hope this info helps, but please feel free to let me know if you are still experiencing issues, or require any further detail.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks for the info. I tried that, but I'm still having issues with getting it as tight as I would like. Maybe I'm expecting to much, or my tank isn't idea for mounting. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. I think I'll look into the different style of straps on the Kriega site instead of the alloy hooks on the tank adapter.

Also just got the R25, Kube Pocket and US-5 packs on Thursday. Great stuff!
woolsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:18 PM   #723
Happycamper
Have bikes, will travel

Oddometer: 551
Sorry for the delayed response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Fairly sure the Holan's are 'precisely the same dimensions' () as the Touratech racks, so shouldn't be an issue. If you can confirm the measurements of the rectangular 'hoop' and tubing diameter of the ones you have I can say for sure.

Cheers,

Michael
Micheal,

My measurements were 13.8" x 10". (25cm x 35cm) for the outside of the loop. The tubing is ~5.5cm around and ~0.6" wide.

Please let me know if you think the 60 will work.

2007 G650 Xchallenge
2009 F800GS
Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #724
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 807
ADVrider discount??
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #725
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper View Post
Micheal,

My measurements were 13.8" x 10". (25cm x 35cm) for the outside of the loop. The tubing is ~5.5cm around and ~0.6" wide.

Please let me know if you think the 60 will work.
The shape is fine. Any chance you can accurately measure the tubing diameter in mm? It needs to be 18mm (which I suspect it is, but better safe than sorry). That's a shade over 0.7", but that one tenth of an inch variation from your measurements could make all the difference.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #726
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
ADVrider discount??
Hi mate,

Kriega has a pretty robust MAP policy, which helps retailers compete on level playing field, so the gear can't be discounted outside of official promotions (none in the pipeline for a good while), so I offer free shipping to Inmates. Just PM me for the code.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #727
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolsocks View Post
Thanks for the info. I tried that, but I'm still having issues with getting it as tight as I would like. Maybe I'm expecting to much, or my tank isn't idea for mounting. I'll have to play around with it a bit more. I think I'll look into the different style of straps on the Kriega site instead of the alloy hooks on the tank adapter.

Also just got the R25, Kube Pocket and US-5 packs on Thursday. Great stuff!
Hmmm... Very odd indeed.

If you get chance, please post up a photo of the packed bag mounted, as you would usually do and I'll let you know if I can see anything that could be causing this malfunction.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #728
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Michael;
I sent you an email!

Cheers
Replied to said email!

BritKit LLC
Old 05-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #729
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStorm View Post
Haha, thanks.

I wrote up a ride report about a weeks ago on a 1200 mile trip I did with the Scram. Good number of pics during the dry part. I was too cold and wet to stop during the rainy bits.

Three States and a Wedding
So you did!...

Nice job!

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 10:35 AM
Old 05-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #730
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkan Boy View Post
New kit:
R8.

Very well made. I don't know any other manufacturer (in and around motorcycling) that makes stuff of such quality.
This is as big waist-bag as you would want to carry. Short for the camping gear, it will hold everything you need to carry on a motorcycle. A lot of different compartments. It sags a little (with 2kg of stuff in it), but this will need further field testing.

As predicted, it will not go well with an R25, but this combination would be too much gear even for a paratrooper.
Theoretically, it could work with a waist bag facing front.

I sense a Hydro pack in my future.
Thanks for the photos, fella!

Yeah - the R25 is too long to work with our waistpacks, which were designed for either using independently or with the Hydro-3, R15 or R20, which are shorter and sit higher on your back. That said, you could wear it facing forward, as many riders do. The grab handle on the left-hand side (if the pack is your back) is there to make it easy to swivel it round in a second, without removing it. Simply grab the handle and the cord on the alloy slide adjuster on the other side, back off the waist belt tension, spin it round and re-tighten.

The R8 is a pretty significant item, capable of carrying a full field tool kit (in the included Tool Roll) and plenty more, but it will not sag when properly fitted to sit on the top of your pelvis. Also, if you ever find you don't need all the space, remember that the smaller side pod can be slipped off the belt and left at home / base camp.

Thanks again for trusting Kriega!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #731
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post

Our typical setup for one week ride in Nicaragua fits into a “US-40″, which is a combination of three bags:
  • Kriega US-20 in center holds all the clothes
  • Kriega US-10 on one side holds a toolkit and other items
  • Kriega US-10 on other side holds rainsuit, shoes, and a camp towel.
For a full packing description click here
Excellent - thanks for sharing your set-up. Obviously - as you state in your blog - the bags aren't fully packed out, nor cinched down here, but that's a solid set-up. I'm sure this is a tried and tested arrangement (so feel free to ignore this suggestion), but sometimes it can be better to put the heavier stuff (tools etc) in the 'base' bag i.e. the one attached to the seat. The compression straps will keep them in place in a side bag, but the more closely those kind of items central.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #732
Tourmeister
What's that funny noise?

Oddometer: 1,054
Michael,

With the OL-30, can you use the US-30 bag as a top bag? If so, is there any difference between the US-20 and 30 other than the cost/size?

Do you offer any kind of tank pannier setup? Any of you guys posting to or reading this thread ever setup a tank pannier system using the Kriega bags and some straps?

I am looking to outfit my 2010 KTM 530 EXC for camping off the bike for at least 6 days.

Two Wheeled Texans
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #733
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Michael,

With the OL-30, can you use the US-30 bag as a top bag? If so, is there any difference between the US-20 and 30 other than the cost/size?

Do you offer any kind of tank pannier setup? Any of you guys posting to or reading this thread ever setup a tank pannier system using the Kriega bags and some straps?

I am looking to outfit my 2010 KTM 530 EXC for camping off the bike for at least 6 days.
Hi Tourmeister,

You can indeed use any of our US packs as a tail pack using the Rack Loops supplied with the Overlander 30 - it's all down to available space / size of machine, but shouldn't be an issue on the 530.

Other than the things you mentioned, there's no difference between the 20 and 30, with the slight exception that, due to its size, the 30 can be mounted across the seat if desired (not necessary with the 20).

And 60 liters of storage should be plenty for a six-day ride as long as your camping gear (in particular the tent) fits in one of the bags. If not you can use the Rack Loops to strap it on the back, along with the US pack.

Hope that helps, but please let me know if you need any more info.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #734
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Michael,

Look at post #426 on page 29............your 530 will be very similar to what I have mounted on my 520.

Hope the photos help.

Cheers
Old 05-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #735
Deckardmac
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hello, I was interested to know if Kreiga has any military or other discounts available right now.

Thanks, Dana Neal

Sent from my Galaxy S3.
Deckardmac is offline   Reply With Quote