Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #76
Nut Clutch
was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
RACK LOOPS (set of 4, used to mount US tail packs without additional hardware)

As always, do not hesitate to post up any questions you may have or get in touch via the phone number or email on our website.

What is the ID of the washer with the nylon loop on it? I'm hoping it is 8mm so that I can put a M8 bolt through it. Can I buy just the washer with the nylon loop?
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 AM   #77
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut Clutch View Post

What is the ID of the washer with the nylon loop on it? I'm hoping it is 8mm so that I can put a M8 bolt through it. Can I buy just the washer with the nylon loop?
Hey Steve,

The ID of that part is 9mm. Unfortunately, it is not available to purchase separately. The components of the Rack Loops were developed specifically to work together. If used in isolation and simply bolted on to a bike, that part will not function in the manner intended and may also have the potential fail (wear the webbing through).

If you do decide to opt for a full set of Rack Loops, all it takes is drilling 4 x 6mm holes in the fender / side panels.

All the best,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread

amanlikemike screwed with this post 06-25-2012 at 12:09 PM
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #78
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Safari training ride
Nice work!

By the way, it might be worth moving the Velcro 'tube locator' tab on your harness down to the reflective silver webbing area. I might also be tempted to back off the primary adjustment on the upper harness a bit, so the sternum pads sit a little lower on your chest. Kriega packs don't need to be tight on your shoulders and this will also allow you to Velcro the drink tube lower down so there is less of it loose Alternatively, you can just shove some of the tube back into the pack). To drink you simply, pull it from the Velcro, then reattach when done.

That said, fitting is all down to personal preference, so its comfy and works in that position, then stick with it!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #79
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Overlander 30 arrived yesterday ! I'll get up pics when I have a chance to install. Just wanted to throw out a word of caution: the mounting instructions are on the inside of the stapled cardboard. Just be careful when opening.
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #80
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpred View Post
Overlander 30 arrived yesterday ! I'll get up pics when I have a chance to install. Just wanted to throw out a word of caution: the mounting instructions are on the inside of the stapled cardboard. Just be careful when opening.
Excellent! That'll be one of the first ones to hit the trails Stateside. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

And yeah - instructions are on the inside of the folded header card. I was thinking that there should be a note about this on the front of the packaging. I'll be getting PDF versions and hopefully instructional videos up on the site in the not too distant. It's pretty straightforward, but until then, if you need any guidance, you know where to find me.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #81
jlpred
Adventurer

Here is a horrible cell phone pic. Michael, feel free to chime in with some mounting tips. I wanted to try to keep the bags forward of the rear axle. I also wanted to keep the "flaps" slightly above the seat. The mounted "buttons" are pretty close to my rear seat. I did this because the plastic is not anchored anywhere after the rear seat bolts on the WRR/X. I may regret this when I try to mount a (future purchase) US series bag. The opposite side looks weird because I tried to tuck it in to the gigantic stock exhaust. That bag sits much more angled.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #82
Nwrider206
2012 Triumph Bonnie

Oddometer: 20
Triumph question

Mike,
Another misc question. Since you have a Scambler you might have an idea. I currently have 1 US20 tailbag on a Bonnie. Want to add more for a touring setup. Was thinking a 30 and another 20 for 70 liters. But I have a concern that the 30 Might be to large for the back seat. The 20 just seems to fit for length.
Just wondering what your professional thoughts are.
Might also play with the straps and attaching the bag a few inches further back.
Thanks
Don
Nwrider206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #83
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
I'm a huge fan of all the Kirega products. My R35 backpack is looking forward to its tenth birthday pretty soon and going strong. Just wish there were a convenient way to attach a hydration pack to it. I've got a US20 permanently attached to the spare pillion "seat" of my Ducati 1098 and sometimes hang a pair of US10s off the side. The toolroll is one of several I bring with me on longer trips with the 640Adv. The fork seal protectors do the job. And I have a big US30 that I haven't quite decided waht to do with just yet. Actually, my favorite little bit of Kriega kit is a waterproof inner bag that came with my R35. I've been keepign all of my electronic stuff in that for ages and am genuinely amazed at how it has held up.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #84
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Here is a horrible cell phone pic. Michael, feel free to chime in with some mounting tips. I wanted to try to keep the bags forward of the rear axle. I also wanted to keep the "flaps" slightly above the seat. The mounted "buttons" are pretty close to my rear seat. I did this because the plastic is not anchored anywhere after the rear seat bolts on the WRR/X. I may regret this when I try to mount a (future purchase) US series bag. The opposite side looks weird because I tried to tuck it in to the gigantic stock exhaust. That bag sits much more angled.

Hey Jeff,

Firstly congrats on receiving one of the first Overlander 30s in the US!

With regards to the fitment, I'd have been tempted to place the Rack Loops a little further back - that way you can experiment with the positioning of the bags more by simply loosening or tightening the cam straps in order to get the bags running a shade more diagonally along the side panels. Maybe even testing out the criss-cross rear straps configuration. I wouldn't worry too much about fixing them real close to the points where the plastics are anchored because the vast majority of the forces involved will be lateral, rather than vertical, so the plastics should hold up fine.

This would move the load back, but not too far back (i.e. into accidental wheelie territory). As long as the mass is spread throughout the center of the axle, there'll be no issues. And bearing in mind that you sit pretty far forward on a bike like this, loading up the rear is no big deal any way, as long as you take it into consideration with your riding style and possibly increase the rear pre-load a little, as you would for any luggage set-up.

In terms of adding a US tail bag in future, as long as the second pair of Rack Loops are at approximately the right distance from the rear pair, you shouldn't have any issues.

I'd be interested to see the other [exhaust] side. I have a feeling that moving the rear Rack Loops back might improve the fit there.

That said, if you're happy with the placement, then that's all that matters. How and where the bags are placed is entirely up to the rider. So, as long as it's securely fitted, you're good to go.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #85
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwrider206 View Post
Mike,
Another misc question. Since you have a Scambler you might have an idea. I currently have 1 US20 tailbag on a Bonnie. Want to add more for a touring setup. Was thinking a 30 and another 20 for 70 liters. But I have a concern that the 30 Might be to large for the back seat. The 20 just seems to fit for length.
Just wondering what your professional thoughts are.
Might also play with the straps and attaching the bag a few inches further back.
Thanks
Don
Hi Don,

The US-30 is actually only around 2" longer than the US-20, so it shouldn't be an issue - especially with the new Alloy Hook Straps, which enable the pack to be secured further back at the rearmost point of the subframe, where it will not shift forward. So the difference will be negligible at the most

However, if you do find that the 30 is encroaching on your seat space, you could always mount it across the saddle, as opposed to in-line with it, which will actually give you more room than you already have with the US-20. The only downside to this configuration is that you can't then mount a US-20 on either side. But this still leaves you with the option to stack your US-20 on top of it (or indeed another US-30) and possibly use a US Tank adaptor to mount a second US-20 on the tank to get your 70 liters that way.

Personally, I tend to travel as light as possible and generally just use a UScombo40 on the tail, with a 10 or 20 on the tank and any camping gear etc strapped to a rear rack (my bike is something of a workhorse and I went for a Renntec one). Alternatively, a rear rack could be used to carry more US packs.

I hope that helps, but feel free to post up any more questions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #86
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifune View Post
I'm a huge fan of all the Kirega products. My R35 backpack is looking forward to its tenth birthday pretty soon and going strong. Just wish there were a convenient way to attach a hydration pack to it. I've got a US20 permanently attached to the spare pillion "seat" of my Ducati 1098 and sometimes hang a pair of US10s off the side. The toolroll is one of several I bring with me on longer trips with the 640Adv. The fork seal protectors do the job. And I have a big US30 that I haven't quite decided waht to do with just yet. Actually, my favorite little bit of Kriega kit is a waterproof inner bag that came with my R35. I've been keepign all of my electronic stuff in that for ages and am genuinely amazed at how it has held up.
Hi Mifune,

The R35 is a great pack, but, as you know, it not designed to take a hydration kit. The R15 and R20 are fully hydration compatible with an integral compression pocket for the reservoir and routing ducts for the drinking tube, while the R25 can accommodate a 3L reservoir in the outer pocket and an optional Velcro tube locator secures the drinking tube to the upper harness.

Thanks for your kind words about Kriega gear though - it's always great to hear that it's doing its job.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #87
Nwrider206
2012 Triumph Bonnie

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hi Don,

The US-30 is actually only around 2" longer than the US-20, so it shouldn't be an issue - especially with the new Alloy Hook Straps, which enable the pack to be secured further back at the rearmost point of the subframe, where it will not shift forward. So the difference will be negligible at the most

However, if you do find that the 30 is encroaching on your seat space, you could always mount it across the saddle, as opposed to in-line with it, which will actually give you more room than you already have with the US-20. The only downside to this configuration is that you can't then mount a US-20 on either side. But this still leaves you with the option to stack your US-20 on top of it (or indeed another US-30) and possibly use a US Tank adaptor to mount a second US-20 on the tank to get your 70 liters that way.

Personally, I tend to travel as light as possible and generally just use a UScombo40 on the tail, with a 10 or 20 on the tank and any camping gear etc strapped to a rear rack (my bike is something of a workhorse and I went for a Renntec one). Alternatively, a rear rack could be used to carry more US packs.

I hope that helps, but feel free to post up any more questions you may have.

Cheers,

Michael
Thanks Mike. I am attempting to avoid a rear rack. Which is where the Kriega's really come in. So most things will need to fit inside the bags to properly mount. I might eventually break down and buy a rack, but just think the Bonnie's look really cool without personally.
I wonder if I could do what you suggest with fitting a 30 across the saddle (90 degrees), and then attach 1 bag above and 1 bag behind. Either 30+30+20 or 30+20+20. That would give plenty of room. Have you heard of this configuration working?
Nwrider206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #88
jlpred
Adventurer

Thanks Michael. I'm definitely open to suggestions. I spent about 1.5 hrs playing around with them before drilling. The hardest part was trying to find a place on the exhaust side to mount to the subframe. Yamaha doesn't make it all neat and symmetrical like the KTM model used to show mounting. Other pics attached. And yes...the bags are mounted and stuffed with towels in the last pic. I gotta run out of town for the remainder of the week, but I will play around with them some more when I get back.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #89
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwrider206 View Post
Thanks Mike. I am attempting to avoid a rear rack. Which is where the Kriega's really come in. So most things will need to fit inside the bags to properly mount. I might eventually break down and buy a rack, but just think the Bonnie's look really cool without personally.
I wonder if I could do what you suggest with fitting a 30 across the saddle (90 degrees), and then attach 1 bag above and 1 bag behind. Either 30+30+20 or 30+20+20. That would give plenty of room. Have you heard of this configuration working?
Fair play. My Scrambler was all sleek and stripped down to start with, but the more I used it, the more practical stuff got bolted on. But Bonnies do look good 'au naturel', so I don't blame you for not racking it out.

Either of those configurations will work, but I'd generally try to keep the center of gravity as low as possible, so the less weight you stack the better 2 x US-30 on top of each other works fine, but less height is generally better). For this reason, I'd suggest going with the US-30 + 2 x US-20. That way you have the option to try the standard combo70 configuration in-line on the bike, or mount the 30 across the seat with a 20 on top and / or one on the back. And, for the rare chance that neither of those are quite what you want, you could always grab a $35 tank adaptor at a later date so that one of the 20s can go up front.

The choice is yours!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #90
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Thanks Michael. I'm definitely open to suggestions. I spent about 1.5 hrs playing around with them before drilling. The hardest part was trying to find a place on the exhaust side to mount to the subframe. Yamaha doesn't make it all neat and symmetrical like the KTM model used to show mounting. Other pics attached. And yes...the bags are mounted and stuffed with towels in the last pic. I gotta run out of town for the remainder of the week, but I will play around with them some more when I get back.

Thanks for these, Jeff.

I would definitely take a look at fitting the second pair of Rack Loops further back on the fender and wider apart, in a similar position to as shown in the instructions. This will give you increased adjustability via the cam straps so the bags can be more diagonally mounted (which will give more clearance from your pipe in the process) and also position the seat strap more rearwards. I'd also consider the possibility of anchoring the ladder-lock straps to the actual frame spar...

To be fair, you can probably leave the ones you've already fitted where they are, depending on what size tail pack you intend to use. Although forward and wider apart might be better.

If I was local, and you left me the keys to your garage, I'd happily come over and have it all ready to roll by the time you get back from out of town.

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-03-2012 at 02:07 PM