Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #106
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydeanh View Post
Thanks Mike!

And you can thank me for B&E Motorsports, and Bob! He's a friend of mine and I've been ear-banging him all year to buy in He's headed to Montana with us next week. Also got him into Klim as well.

Thanks again- JimmyDean
I thought as much!

Thanks for the promo work - I'm sure they'll do very well with the range. Kriega and Klim are great match!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #107
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Finally got some time to mess around a little more. I moved the buttons back and to the edges. Seems like the "ideal" placement is right where the WRR/X has and indent for the subframe rails. I didn't want to put them there as when tightened I figured the plastic washer would deform and bind the rotation. So, what do I do with the holes that were on there from before?

Here they are attached to the frame. This is a little tight, but it will be the position I try first. I like the idea of keeping the weight as close to center as possible.

Here they are attached to the subframe. Makes the bags more vertical and give more leg room.

I'll try them out and keep playing around with them. All in all, I'm pleased so far with the purchase. First rate customer service from Michael, and bags look well made. I'm not too worried about them holding up with all the positive review around here on the Kriega stuff.

A little constructive criticism, and maybe there is an easy solution (or not a problem at all) : The strap that goes across the seat lands the adjuster close to dead center of the seat. When I ride, I tend to use all the seat at one time or another (sometimes to the rear fender). I'm a little worried that at some point I may accidentally sit on the adjuster and loosen the strap. Time will tell if this is a concern or not.

In the end, as of now, I'd buy them all over again. Now to decide if I need a US 10, 20, or 30....
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #108
John_L
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
jlpred or Michael,

Any chance of seeing what all you are fitting into these when you load them up? Photo is best of course. Considering for my TE610. I've done the GL bag and really liked the volume and the way it fit but got tired of it leaking. Now I'm back on my Ortliebs with homemade racks which flop around a bit to much but stay dry. I want something that has the waterproofness of the Ortliebs plus the stoutness of the mounting of the GL and the volume of either. With the GL it was rock solid. Will run a dry bag on top too but I can figure that.

The online dimensions of the Ortlebs and the Overlanders appear very close but the litre capacity it states is way off so I'm wondering real world.

Thanks.

Off on an adventure now but hope to be a customer soon.
John
John_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #109
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpred View Post
Finally got some time to mess around a little more. I moved the buttons back and to the edges. Seems like the "ideal" placement is right where the WRR/X has and indent for the subframe rails. I didn't want to put them there as when tightened I figured the plastic washer would deform and bind the rotation. So, what do I do with the holes that were on there from before?

Here they are attached to the frame. This is a little tight, but it will be the position I try first. I like the idea of keeping the weight as close to center as possible.

Here they are attached to the subframe. Makes the bags more vertical and give more leg room.

I'll try them out and keep playing around with them. All in all, I'm pleased so far with the purchase. First rate customer service from Michael, and bags look well made. I'm not too worried about them holding up with all the positive review around here on the Kriega stuff.

A little constructive criticism, and maybe there is an easy solution (or not a problem at all) : The strap that goes across the seat lands the adjuster close to dead center of the seat. When I ride, I tend to use all the seat at one time or another (sometimes to the rear fender). I'm a little worried that at some point I may accidentally sit on the adjuster and loosen the strap. Time will tell if this is a concern or not.

In the end, as of now, I'd buy them all over again. Now to decide if I need a US 10, 20, or 30....
The set-up in photo 2 is looking the best so far in terms of position, Jeff. If you can get the bags higher, so that the lowest corner of each one is above seat level (something that should be achievable by tightening the cam straps or possibly using the criss-cross arrangement), similar to how they are pictured in the instructions, this should keep the seat strap well out of the way and also provide more leg room. This may necessitate having to look for alternative mounting points for the ladder-lock webbing (probably the subframe behind the side panels).

We recommend fully packing the bags and working out the ideal positioning before drilling, but the holes that you made first time could possibly be used for the other two Rack Loops, so that you can tail mount a US pack. Failing that, you could fill them, or slap that Kriega sticker over 'em.

We'll get there in the end, mate!

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #110
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_L View Post
jlpred or Michael,

Any chance of seeing what all you are fitting into these when you load them up? Photo is best of course. Considering for my TE610. I've done the GL bag and really liked the volume and the way it fit but got tired of it leaking. Now I'm back on my Ortliebs with homemade racks which flop around a bit to much but stay dry. I want something that has the waterproofness of the Ortliebs plus the stoutness of the mounting of the GL and the volume of either. With the GL it was rock solid. Will run a dry bag on top too but I can figure that.

The online dimensions of the Ortlebs and the Overlanders appear very close but the litre capacity it states is way off so I'm wondering real world.

Thanks.

Off on an adventure now but hope to be a customer soon.
John
Hey John,

Hope these help.

For illustration purposes, I've used the contents of our bathroom cabinet , which is pretty much equivalent to the amount of 'civilian' clothes I'd take on an extended trip. The bag shown is a single Overlander 15, and obviously any other items of similar volume would fit.

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 01:19 PM
Old 07-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #111
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
That's a weeks worth of clothes.... in one of the two bags!
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #112
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
That's a weeks worth of clothes.... in one of the two bags!
Or the four bags, if you go for the 60.

BritKit LLC
Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #113
jlpred
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
We recommend fully packing the bags and working out the ideal positioning before drilling
This is advrider...who does that? I messed around for close to 2hrs before drilling. Either way, my question was meant to be tongue and cheek and rhetorical... the sticker is the answer

Here are the bags up as high as they go mounted to the frame:

There are still tons of options to play around with placement on the subframe. Don't get me wrong, under normal riding there is plenty of room before hitting the strap. Like I said, it may be a non issue. I plan on "testing" them on trails I should have no business being on while carrying luggage.

John, same here. Just stuffed with towels. I need to get some more gear and compression sacks before stuffing them for real. I will probably use an additional mounting point towards the bottom right corner of the bag. They are mounted dead solid when trying to push them down. I can flop them up quite easily on that bottom corner. It may have to do with my weird position, but its an easy fix so I'm not concerned about it. The buttons are the cats meow though. Its the grown up man's version of Bedazzler, I think I'm going to need like 6 more of them!
jlpred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #114
traveltoad
Aaron S

So my goal is to use the Kriega Overlander (KO) 30 primarily on my 950SE. As a bonus, I would like to be able to use the system on the 400. However, for the type of riding I do on the 400 I think the KO is too big.

So.... first up... the pieces (all were included in my KO package):

Rack loops. These seem very well made and are quite aesthetically pleasing (or as my mom would say... easy on the eyes):

KO bags, two 15 liter bags (just thrown over the bike in this photo):

Detail of the forward/lower mounting hardware:

This forward/lower mounting hardware is comprised of a daisy chain style strap and a hook. This gives a lot of versatility for mounting and makes bag installation and removal (once you get the initial mounting sorted out) quick and easy.

Detail of the upper/rear mounting hardware:

The cam allows you to snug the bags on against the bike pulling against the forward/lower daisy chain. The hook is designed to hook into the Rack loops:

Connecting the two bags is a strap with cam adjuster which goes over the bike where (presumably) most of the weight will be carried:

And the machine 2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro (not included in the KO package):

I already have a rear rack on the SE and for the time being my intent is to keep it, although having now played with the KO system a bit, a rear rack is not needed. I have also previously mounted loops between the passenger foot peg brackets and the subframe to make it easier to strap bag systems to the bike.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #115
traveltoad
Aaron S

So now, the fun part. Trying to figure out what the hell to do with these things. One really nice thing about a versatile bag system is that it gives you many mounting options. The bad thing about a versatile bag system is that it gives you many mounting options... and you have to put a bit of thought into the system to get the most out of it. If some of the commentary that follows seems to go backwards and forwards, it kind of does. As one idea seemed to not work... later as I changed other mounting strategies, the original idea came back into play (if that makes any sense at all).

My original thoughts... save the rack loops for the 400 and loop the rear strap around the rack and hook it on itself, mount the top/over-the-seat strap under my seat, use the daisy chain strap through my loops.

Right off the bat, the idea of the top strap going under the seat was not a good one. The bags sit high enough on the bike that with the top strap under the seat, the top corners of the bags got pulled under the seat. Also, the seat was pushing down on the strap which means there was no weight load on that strap which doesn't seem right.

The one idea that never came back into play was the top strap under the seat. Here in the final (final for today at least) mounting position you can see that the strap even hovers above the seat a bit. I did have the bags stuffed with towels, but with actual camping gear I will see if the strap settles down onto the seat.

I started with the front/lower mounting straps. Eyeballing where I thought I wanted the bags, I hooked the daisy chain straps at the fourth loop.

Doing this did not give me much rear/upper strap to play with. The only place I could get it around the rack (do to it's length) was the forward, outer most corner:

Even to get it hooked in this position was kind of a pain, and being on an outer edge of the rack it wasn't pulling the bags in tight, so I started playing with some other soft straps just to make the initial positioning easier:

Grabbing some lunch, back in a bit.

traveltoad screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 07:43 PM
Old 07-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #116
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
This is advrider...who does that?
Ahahha! Fair point, mate.

Quote:
Either way, my question was meant to be tongue and cheek and rhetorical... the sticker is the answer
I see! And yup; I'm sure some of my early bikes were largely held together with stickers and duct tape.

Quote:
Here are the bags up as high as they go mounted to the frame:

There are still tons of options to play around with placement on the subframe. Don't get me wrong, under normal riding there is plenty of room before hitting the strap. Like I said, it may be a non issue. I plan on "testing" them on trails I should have no business being on while carrying luggage.

John, same here. Just stuffed with towels. I need to get some more gear and compression sacks before stuffing them for real. I will probably use an additional mounting point towards the bottom right corner of the bag. They are mounted dead solid when trying to push them down. I can flop them up quite easily on that bottom corner. It may have to do with my weird position, but its an easy fix so I'm not concerned about it. The buttons are the cats meow though. Its the grown up man's version of Bedazzler, I think I'm going to need like 6 more of them!
That looks like a bingo, to me!

BritKit LLC
Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #117
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Lovin' seeing the first person thought process behind this installation traveltoad. Appreciate you documenting it.

Looks like you're well on track to getting precisely the set-up you want for both bikes.

BritKit LLC
Old 07-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #118
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Look who rolled up in New Orleans!

Great to catch up with the inspirational Tiffany Coates during her 'Amble Through America' (check out her RR here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...tiffany+coates). Couple more pics here: http://on.fb.me/KiuBkn too.

Safe journey, Tiffany!

BritKit LLC
Old 07-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #119
traveltoad
Aaron S

Ok, I feel better. A couple fish tacos and all is right in the world!

So where was I.... soft loops to help with bag locating.

So this (temporary) soft loop placement seemed to get me going in the right direction.

Step back... take a look. (Still too early in my world for a beer.)

Hmmm.... bags seem a bit too forward. Moving around on the pegs while on the stand didn't reveal any major intrusion, but aesthetically, they seem too far forward. Also, look where the upper/rear hook is located in this photo:

Very close to the forward rack mount points.... hmmmm, I wonder...

Yep, they fit:

Nothing is tightened down at this point, I was seeing if it would actually fit. So now it was time to step back again and look it all over.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #120
traveltoad
Aaron S

The next step was to install the loop portion of the rack loops to each of the four rack mounting points. As I was already thinking the bags were too far forward, I then moved everything back and started fitting the bags using the loops on the rear mount points (rear loops going forward). To do this I changed the position of the forward/lower hook in the daisy chain strap, increasing the length by two loops.

Ooooo.... now we're getting somehwere!

So.... if moving the bags back by two loops (on the front daisy chain mount) made them better, moving them back two more loops would be EVEN better... right? Not so much.