Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 PM   #16
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
cruiser scooter? stupid idea,,, if you would ever experience riding a scooter you would know that dealers that sell only cruiser bikes such as HD, Victory hate scooters with a passion so they know they will never make one cause they will never want a person like you as a customer,
Local HD dealer actually likes scooters.They had a Yamaha Majesty that the salesman actually recommended too someone.
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
Tacoma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
I's just thinking how much I'd love a practicle cruiser scooter!

Combine a Cruiser and a Scooter. Other than Craig Vetter's Sportster 1200 scoot [which BTW is badass!], theres no real cruiser scoots! I do love his, espically the one without the fairing! If it had a wider floorboard it'd be ultimate! But, those ain't like actually availible to the comsumer. But I like his work, talanted guy!

BUT, I'd like to see one of the big 4 or somebody make a real V-Twin, American style, Cruiser Scooter! They's quite successful in copying H-D, with the Yamaha Roadstar 1600 Silverado, other than just a bit of a character difference, being a Harley.

Seriously. Think about it! It ain't fare for us Cruiser guys! Theres Sporty scoots [like T-Max, those fast litttle 2 strokers like them 180/200 Dragsters that's super fast], etc. Then theres the touring scooters of course, the Maxis, Burgman, Majesty, Silverwing, etc. Then, just putt putt small displacement scoots of course, for just zooming around town. And, some reasonable off road scoots, like the Zuma 50/125, and the old Honda CTs.

But wheres a 250-750 cc, V-Twin, chromed out, scooter. With the coolness of a big twin, purdy with chrome, that rumble and feel of a V-Twin motor, and torque, etc. BUT, combined with the practicleness of a scooter? Automatic, floorboard, somewhat nimble, medium sized tires, etc?
Very good,,,I respect you! Maybe I flipped out and said some things I regret, but I know not all HD riders are bad guys,,, just the ones I know are,,, its very tough to control my anger with some of them when they think they are better or tough guys just because they ride a HD,,, they always attack in groups, never alone, they will cut down and insult me when their other buddies that also ride a HD or they feel the need to impress their girlfriends that ride on the back, I try to resist, I try to walk away and ignore them, but its tough I have that extreme urge to plant my fist into their face and kick their HD over, I always advoid them as much as possible, they get mad when i park my scooter next to their HD, I also have enough sence to never pull into any HD Dealer with my scooter cause I know I am never welcome there, even when I want to buy an accessory product they only sell,,, it shouldn't be like that, I know, but I advoid trouble cause don't want to be sitting in a jail cell cause i flattened someones face.
Tacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #18
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Ignore him, he's just a troll.

don't feed the troll.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #19
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Tacoma,

I don't understand your experience. I split my ride time pretty equally between my harley and my 12v passport. I take my passport to the HD dealer way more than I do the Harley. I ussually end up in the parking lot with someone telling me that's what they started out on blah blah blah... if ya have an old bike, you know what I mean. I have never been dissed, cept by drunk chicks that think my passport is a vespa.

So, Maybe it's my attitude that makes a difference. Owning a Harley I have no envy of their bikes. And I know that a passport is 10 times more fun to drive. I have been telling my best friend this for 4 years. not only did he buy 1 passport, but he bought 3... all the same year AND same color! He has barely rode his harley since!!! I will have to do some experiments and see if it's my attitude or not... I'd like to hear about your experiences as well.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #20
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Out for a sunday ride...our MP3 and the FXST I used to have.

At the HD dealership:

When I ride the Stella to the HD dealership (Free food and drinks ) people there get downright excited about it...some of the older military vets talk about time spent overseas riding Vespa PX's, etc.

I think people sense good vibes from other people and respond accordingly. The bikes just become a conversation piece at that point.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,633
Cruiser Scooters? Something like these?

Unfortunately they are Chinese and single cylinder.
Engine: Liquid cooled four-stroke single cylinder
Displacement: 244cc

The only V-twin powered Japanese Cruiser (with Auto tranny) of recent build that I know of, is this one:

Displacement:680.00 ccm (41.49 cubic inches)
Engine type:V2, four-stroke
Engine details:52 degree V-twin
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Cruiser Scooters? Something like these?

Unfortunately they are Chinese and single cylinder.
Engine: Liquid cooled four-stroke single cylinder
Displacement: 244cc

The only V-twin powered Japanese Cruiser (with Auto tranny) of recent build that I know of, is this one:

Displacement:680.00 ccm (41.49 cubic inches)
Engine type:V2, four-stroke
Engine details:52 degree V-twin
You stole my post. I was just looking up those two.

I'd love to try out the Honda, just for grins. I'm sure more "automatic motorcycles" (versus traditional step-through designs) will be on the way. I'm not sure how many the US will see.

Like I like. Yep.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #23
perturbedmax
Mr. n00b to you.

Oddometer: 41
http://www.californiascooterco.com/s...s/greaser.html

Nuff said.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Is that the DN-01? That's a pretty cool bike! Complicated transmission though...
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Very good,,,I respect you! Maybe I flipped out and said some things I regret, but I know not all HD riders are bad guys,,, just the ones I know are,,, its very tough to control my anger with some of them when they think they are better or tough guys just because they ride a HD,,, they always attack in groups, never alone, they will cut down and insult me when their other buddies that also ride a HD or they feel the need to impress their girlfriends that ride on the back, I try to resist, I try to walk away and ignore them, but its tough I have that extreme urge to plant my fist into their face and kick their HD over, I always advoid them as much as possible, they get mad when i park my scooter next to their HD, I also have enough sence to never pull into any HD Dealer with my scooter cause I know I am never welcome there, even when I want to buy an accessory product they only sell,,, it shouldn't be like that, I know, but I advoid trouble cause don't want to be sitting in a jail cell cause i flattened someones face.

I do see where your commin from. I think youse just had some bad experences, maybe a lot of the asshole poser type H-D guys in your area?

Sounds like your local H-D dealers a shitty one too. My H-D dealer welcomes any type of bike. Hell, theres quite a few Metric Cruisers in there local rides, mostly Yamaha V-Stars and Road Stars. And there retarted not to want any buisness! Seriously. What, a scooterist buying there would drive away there main poser customers?

I know its hard not to get mad at them. Trust me I do to. But, they ain't worth the trouble. A lot of the types that do this are simply the posers. There just pretty boy yuppie wanna be bikers for the most part. Don't let them get to ya. It makes them feel tougher inside to insult other people's rides that ain't H-Ds. So be it, let them feel that way? Are they worth a fight?

I say y'all can say whatever you want to me, see if I care. But, badmouth any of my kin, or those close to me, and I guarntee we's gonna have a problem.

I too used to have anger issues. But now I just let things slide. If it gets physical thats different. But I don't ride my scooter to impress anybody, obvsiously! I LOVE Harley Davidson motorcycles though. They really are great machines, have a certain feel to them. And I love the sound, kinda similar to how we love the sound of an old carbed V8!

Yes, not all H-D riders are bad. Just seems to be some guys that talk shit about others bikes. And your right there, its ALWAYS in groups. Trying to impress there buddies!

But, any real biker would simply laugh and tell em to shut up!

If I was you I'd move, or simply try and not worry about them. While real hardcore bikers probably won't give you much respect for riding a scooter, they won't care. Too much effort. And as long as your on 2 wheels.

Just control your anger. My anger issues was unrelated to this, but what I do is, right when I can feel myself getting extremely raged, I just think [yea its hard but try], is this worth it? Is it worth ending up in jail, or something I'll regreat? It works for me most of the time. Its hard, you just gotta learn to think like that when you feel it. Same applies on these forums, is it worth trying to argue with nobody? I mean a little bickering of course but anger and hate, I just let it slide.

What
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #26
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

vortexau cool, but not what I had in mind. I reckon it counts as a cruiser scooter. But its still a single.

perturbedmax neat, but not for me. Those are abit pricy. And they sound like more like a dirtbike not a V-Twin, with the singles. And there not automatic.

bbishoppcm, now thats more what I was thinking of! That uses some sort of CVT, or is it a Dual Clutch as I seem to remember? I think thats as close as we's gonna get. It is a V-Twin, pretty much a cruiser [not the badass chromed out kind], but its pretty neat. A little expensive and bit but its cool. Seems not to popular though.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #27
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Speaking of the DN-01 transmission, no - not CVT or Dual-clutch. Honda called it HFT and its closer to what they used on their big quadbikes:

Honda Launches the New DN-01 Large Sports Cruiser with Innovative Automatic Human-Friendly Transmission

Quote:
Featuring Honda's innovative lockup-equipped, infinitely variable hydraulic mechanical transmission—the HFT delivers superb throttle response and a direct drive feel
At constant cruising speeds it used a "lockup mechanism" to eliminate any automatic-type slippage.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #28
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
Speaking of the DN-01 transmission, no - not CVT or Dual-clutch. Honda called it HFT and its closer to what they used on their big quadbikes:

Honda Launches the New DN-01 Large Sports Cruiser with Innovative Automatic Human-Friendly Transmission

At constant cruising speeds it used a "lockup mechanism" to eliminate any automatic-type slippage.

Wow, thats really neat! I didn't know that. I wander why the DN-1 was overall a failure? Its somewhat comparable to a maxi scooter, but it gets most of the respect of a conventinal motorcycle.

I think its just not scootery enough for scooter fellers, and not a "real" bike I reckon with the motorcycle folks?

Funny thing is, it seems to me that any automatic trannsmission motorcycle is considered a chick bike, Scooters are considered toys or "get a real motorcycle" manual or automatic.

Its really sad. Seriously. Those guys probably ain't ridden a nice automatic bike before. On twisties and hills, I love the auto WAY more. Its just a lot funner. For 2 up its better, no worries about keeping the engine RPMs high enough or lugging the motor.

But I like manuals too, both are cool. I just don't quite see why its such a big deal to have a automatic bike. At them there ridly motorcycle demonstrations, a lot of the hardcore Harley types was having a blast on the Ridly 750 autos! Those was great, just WAY to $.

As for scooters. I'd just like to see an actual mass produced one with a V-Twin. IMO, V-Twins sound neat with a CVT.

But what I find, is that CVTs make the bike feel a lot more torquey. I think its cause it always hits the right ratio. My Elite 150 feels torquey for a 150 cc. When I's rode 125 cc motorcycles, like the Eliminator 125, they way more gutless.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:29 PM   #29
CaseyJones
Ridin' that train

Oddometer: 753
Quote:

But what I find, is that CVTs make the bike feel a lot more torquey. I think its cause it always hits the right ratio. My Elite 150 feels torquey for a 150 cc. When I's rode 125 cc motorcycles, like the Eliminator 125, they way more gutless.
You got that right. Compare a machine like a Burgman 400 to an under-500cc bike...the Burgman wins, hands down. Faster top speed, the same acceleration, storage... smoother...and tradeoffs in handling aren't noticeable in everyday riding.

I just had a nice day out with my Burgman clone with 295cc's...a higher top speed than my TU250 had; felt peppier. And, 70 mpg. I love my oilhead boxer; but this economy and ease of operation and practicality, can't be beat for short trips.
CaseyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Quote:
Wow, thats really neat! I didn't know that. I wander why the DN-1 was overall a failure? . . .
Most put that down to High Price.
Why I did not buy one was because luggage storage was going to be (unlike with scooters) extra cost panniers & topbox, and there was no weather protection at all (unlike with scooters).

Quote:

As for scooters. I'd just like to see an actual mass produced one with a V-Twin. IMO, V-Twins sound neat with a CVT.
Like the Gilera GP800 and the Aprilia SRV850?

Aprilia SRV850 Confirmed for US

Quote:
The Aprilia is a slightly restyled version of the Gilera GP800 that’s been available in Europe since 2007. The 8-valve V-twin engine is the same one in Aprilia’s automatic transmission Mana motorcycle.

Aprillia mana 850 engine (displacement of 839.3 cc) which the SRV850 will also use

2012 Aprilia SRV 850

Quote:
2012 Aprilia SRV 850 Model Highlights
NOT ONLY POWER: A UNIQUE ENGINE
The Aprilia SRV 850 engine is the first and only 90° V two cylinder scooter engine and it makes the maxi from Veneto the fastest and most powerful scooter ever manufactured anywhere in the world.
Liquid cooled, equipped with electronic injection, with distribution of 4 valves per cylinder and twin-spark ignition, the engine has a displacement of 839.3 cc. Thanks to a new optimisation of the engine control system, it now reaches a maximum power of 55.9 kW (76.0 HP) at 7,750 rpm and a maximum torque of 76.5 Nm (7.8 kgm) at 6,000 rpm, specs which place the new SRV 850 at the top of its category. Two new oxygen probes (lambda) allow the engine control unit to optimise management of the fuel-oil mixture for the two cylinders, all to the advantage of combustion, obtaining a regularity of operation at idle speed and a progressiveness and torque flexibility at medium rpms which are a reference point for this type of engine architecture.
The new system guarantees maximum efficiency in terms of fuel economy and emissions control so much that they already meet the future (stricter) requirements of Euro 4 approval.
But it is not just power that the designers had in mind when they conceived this extraordinary engine: crankshaft and transmission group were designed with a rotational motion opposite that of the wheels in order to have a significant reduction of rotating inertia and the gyroscopic effect: by doing this the handling and quick entrance into turns of the Aprilia SRV 850 is increased.
On Aprilia SRV 850 the engine is secured in a completely integrated way to the frame thanks to an elastic mounting to contain vibrations and the final drive is entrusted to a robust, but sophisticated, Regina Z-ring sealed chain.
The exhaust system, completely free of the frame in order to keep vibrations to a minimum, is a 2-in-1 system which terminates in an aggressively styled silencer with heat shield.