Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 12:19 AM   #46
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
bk brkr baker I do like that! Vetter is one hell of a designer, I love some of his ideals! Just wish that there was a production model!

vortexau thats neat. But yea, its wierd how it can be more costy to do yourself, but it is. Cause wholesail parts they's get, assembly like, etc.

That is neat engine though. I simply don't got the engineering skills needed to make one. I sure as hell wish I did though!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #47
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Just think ---- Honda released that DN-01 of their's (go on and read the road test:
Memorable Motorcycle: Honda DN-01

) when . . when . . when they could have brought their E4-01 to the marketplace:

Honda's 903cc concept scooter from seven years ago, the E4-01!

Honda E4-01 900cc scooter

Unlike the DN-01, the E4-01 did have underseat storage in-spite of the similar-size 17" wheels:

Unlike the DN-01, the E4-01 did have rider comfort in the form of a good front cowling and a good windscreen.
Unlike the DN-01, the E4-01 was claimed to have " supersport performance and handling ".
Unlike the DN-01, the E4-01 comes in at " under 200 kilograms ".

However, the " E4-01 is powered by a rigidly mounted 903cm3 inline engine " that I seem to recall being a three cyclinder? So, its not a V-Twin.

Honda's E4-01 page

. . . . . hmmm! Right - Dream rather than reality?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #48
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,228
I remember the Honda Griffon concept bike around 2003:

Horizontally Opposed 4-Cylinder 750cc VTEC engine:

I thought it interesting to see them consider a boxer motor in a scoot. Given the T-max release in '01 IIRC in Europe, it seems Honda was interested in giving chase with a sporty sort of ride, whether it was the Griffon or E4. But the DN-01 went into production.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #49
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
cool idea, have you seen the new bmw scooters? I know they don't have all the chrome you crave, but have you? I think a scooter like the one you want may cost to much and have very few people with actual money, specially in the USA the market is very clear on what they want, or at least it is what manufactures think. DN1 is an ugly bike, I did not like it, it feels long and with little travel suspension. I only sat on it once or twice and it was the impression I remember from a couple of years back, and it sit (in the wrong side) or the I want to be big as a cruiser, and I want to have the ease of a scooter. That new adventure bike from Honda looks to fat, still I have never seen it so no bigger attacks than that. Damasovi
Old 04-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #50
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

vortexau, wow, that was a big mistake! With the bigger=better policy most seem to have here in America, that woulda been awesome! Wow, An inline 3? I ain't so crazy about the styling of that one, kinda trying to look all fancy like them rich cars. But, if they'd make that, but a little more plain looking, bring it here, and not TOO crazily priced, I'd buy it! Imagine having a 903 cc scooter! Smoke Harleys all day long without thinking about it, and make some sports bikes look like a fool.

Photog yea thats pretty neat, quite exotic looking, but it is neat. I do like the ideal of the boxer.

damasovi I actually have not really seen it. I've herd a little about it, but don't really know anything about it. I'll look into it though. Yea the DN-1 just didn't work out.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #51
gatling
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
A cruiser scooter? Hmmmm....

gatling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #52
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

gatling? I don't see much of the 'Scooter' in those. The US has long been the home of Minibikes - often a tiny frame with no suspension, and fitted with a lawnmower engine. Back in the sixties and seventies the advertisements in the back pages of Popular Mechanics tried to sell readers on the wonders of these DIY 'marvels'.

Now, as to Cruiser Scooters, I'd venture that the UK is doing this category proud:

Honda Silverwing on the left, with ComforTmax on the outside.

What is a Cruiser Scooter? Is it a motor scooter which sits the rider somewhat similar to the rider on (or in) a cruiser? In that regard, the ComforTmax ticks a lot of boxes. Plus, there remains the good rider protection (from the elements), and good luggage capacity.

Comfort, wind protection, performing DOHC parallel 500cc twin, and a very-big Topbox! Oh, and those 15" wheels back and front.

ComforTmax page

vortexau screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 08:04 PM Reason: correction
vortexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #53
perturbedmax
Mr. n00b to you.

Oddometer: 41
Puke

That be incredibly fugly. Even mom doesn't love it.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #54
Brooktown Geezer
scooter guy

Oddometer: 481
Getting back to reality for a minute, if you want to ride a scooter in the cruising position, with a low center of gravity like a cruiser, the Burgman 650 fits the bill for me!

If you want to add a bunch of chrome to polish obsessively, I guess it's possible. ;)
Brooktown Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #55
btcn OP
Beastly Adventurer

gatling those are very neat. If I could get one of those style bikes with a V-Twin, hell yea! I see that y'all don't need the twin though, looks like you have lots of ventures on those! With the twin I's sure it'd be quiet pricy. But, its just it sounds more like a dirtbike than a cruiser when you rev up. That single sound is cool in it's own way though. But I like those, that one looks kickass with the winchshield and bags!

vortexau I reckon thats a cruiser, but quite akward looking. BUT, holy shit, I bet that full sized driver backrest is comfy!

Brooktown Geezer I think thats as close as it gets to cruiser. But, relistickly, if you was to compare them to what bike it's closest to, the Maxis would be more in the Sport Touring/Touring, not really "Cruiser". Cruisers have a cool styling to them, and a little chrome/and or blacked out, and a V-Twin [well not ALL are V-Twin, some are singles and such but most are V-twin].

I don't care about too much chrome, your right it's a bitch to polish, I ain't one that enjoys polishing it either. But just a little never hurts! Well on a cruiser. Or get blacked out if you want less maintainence.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #56
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Suzuki did produce a low rider scooter for the domestic market (although only a 250cc) of which, it was said- "Long, Low, Luscious and unLikely to ever make it to the USA." Take note that, unlike the Helix or the Morphous, it sits on a 14" wheel at front and a 13" wheel at the rear. . . . . . that's a size common to the Majesty 400 and Burgman 400.

The Suzuki Gemma motor scooter - domestic only (in Japan; that means)

Suzuki Gemma 250 is a "GO!" or rather an "IKU!" for the Japanese market

In Black . . .

Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Frame type:Steel, diamond frame
Rake (fork angle):27.0
Trail:100 mm (3.9 inches)
Front tyre dimensions:120/80-14
Rear tyre dimensions:150/70-13
Front brakes:Single disc. Hydraulic
Rear brakes:Single disc. Hydraulic
Wheels:Spoke wheel.
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight:205.0 kg (451.9 pounds)
Power/weight ratio:0.1047 HP/kg
Seat height:705 mm (27.8 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Overall height:1,085 mm (42.7 inches)
Overall length:2,280 mm (89.8 inches)
Overall width:810 mm (31.9 inches)
Ground clearance:135 mm (5.3 inches)
Wheelbase:1,690 mm (66.5 inches)
Fuel capacity:12.00 litres (3.17 gallons)
Oil capacity:15.00 litres (0.99 quarts)
Old 04-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #57
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,075

Ridlely Auto-Glide V-twin
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #58
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post

Ridlely Auto-Glide V-twin
RIP.

Darn intriguing machines, sad to see them gone.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #59
daveinva
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
That's fascinating. Wonder why the automatic cycle never took off? Especially since they look just like any other; save your pride, protect your manhood, but cruise without the hassle of counting gears.
Agreed.

When it comes to cars, I'm a die-hard manual transmission lover-- it gives me something fun to do, I'm engaged in driving, and I get to select my gears. I've got no problem buying an auto car for basic transport, but a sports car is always manual to me.

When it comes to bikes, however... what benefit (other than cost and complexity) is a manual shifter? Riding a bike is already complex enough, I'm happy *eliminating* distractions, not adding to them.

I'd love if some bike manufacturers adopted the semi-automatic transmission BRP uses on the Can-Am Spyder. LOVE how the thing shifts (and downshifts) at the push of a button. Faster than a manual shifter, even blips the throttle for you, easier than pie. It'd be fun to have something like that on my other bikes.
daveinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #60
CurveLover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortexau View Post
gatling? I don't see much of the 'Scooter' in those. The US has long been the home of Minibikes - often a tiny frame with no suspension, and fitted with a lawnmower engine. Back in the sixties and seventies the advertisements in the back pages of Popular Mechanics tried to sell readers on the wonders of these DIY 'marvels'.

Now, as to Cruiser Scooters, I'd venture that the UK is doing this category proud:

Honda Silverwing on the left, with ComforTmax on the outside.

What is a Cruiser Scooter? Is it a motor scooter which sits the rider somewhat similar to the rider on (or in) a cruiser? In that regard, the ComforTmax ticks a lot of boxes. Plus, there remains the good rider protection (from the elements), and good luggage capacity.

Comfort, wind protection, performing DOHC parallel 500cc twin, and a very-big Topbox! Oh, and those 15" wheels back and front.

ComforTmax page
That's the coolest thing ever!

I've always wondered why rider comfort seems to be the LAST thing on just about every single motorcycle and scooter manufacturer's list. Not having some kind of nice backrest on these machines is the thing I hate the most about riding. Especially on longer trips. That dude has got it going on! It's a no brainer. Why some manufacturer has not jumped on this idea, and designed a machine from the ground up based upon rider comfort FIRST, with all the trimmings, is totally beyond me.

I am still trying to figure out a way to mount even a modest backrest on my Linhai 300 SS. Maybe adapt over one of the backrests made for the Burgman/SW's? I don't know.
CurveLover is offline   Reply With Quote