User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
Karl772 OP
Rally Nut

Oddometer: 26
Race Engines

I have always been fascinated with what a person means when they say 'race engine' when talking about Off-Road Motorbikes. What to the professional race teams actually do to make the engine better then a stock engine to make it a so called race engine?

I am mostly referring to endurance events and Rallies Such as the Australasian Safari, The Dakar Rally, Condo 750, Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge etc. Basically multiple day Rally type events.

Karl772 screwed with this post 04-03-2012 at 03:00 AM
Karl772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,106
Its a closely guarded secret...

Would really depend on the event too.

In an endurance event like The Safari the engines would be stock or close to stack with possibly an oil cooler fitted and maybe "blueprinted", but I guess they wouldn't call them "Race engines" unless they wanted to keep it fresh and have a different engine to use in a practice bike.

So you would have your "race engine" looking all shiny sitting on a bench and a dirty old expendable practice engine in the bike until just before race day...

As far as MX and shorter sprint events, the list is long on the stuff you could do.

You can easily give an engine more power than a stock engine, but whether it is better than stock is debatable ( ie, needs to be rebuilt after each event).

So in other words, I have no idea...

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #3
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Oil channels, different valves, blue print, that kinda thing.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
klatelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
cubic dollars
klatelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 738
Blue print, port, polish, cryo, shot peen, the list goes on. And that’s before you get to the real big number performance stuff. All of the things I listed make a motor run smoother and the parts stronger, therefore giving it longer life and higher power.
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
klatelm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
and light weight fastners
klatelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
your gitin some good answers,however

thay run race ole,change it ever time they shut the motr off,you cant buy that ole
top secret nuclure sparkplugs with no gap,as a matter of fact they dont even call 'em sparkplugs
reverse injun-eared aleon teknolojy

your mileage may very

xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #8
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,426
Race engines… the secrets behind the myths… (or was that the other way ’round?)

What is a race engine...?

I once overheard an old (70/80’s) desert racing legend make this comment about “race engines”;

“If you need to ASK… you don’t really NEED to know…”

I reflected long and hard about those words, several times, over many years… and eventually I came to understand (I think?) what he meant;

The term “race engine” is a blanket term used to describe an motor prepared in terms of performance and/or reliability, to provide those competitors already at the pinnacle of their sport with that last “poofteenth of an ounce” advantage over their equally as talented competition, in order to attain those last few percent of performance advantage, in order to take victory.

A “race engine” persé; is a largely wasted commodity on the greater majority of mere mortal riders out there in bling-bling world… Most of whom, in reality would see far greater gains made from paying attention to personal fitness, improved riding technique and an accumulation of competition experience… before spending the “cubic dollars” previously mentioned, that any mechanical engine performance or other motorcycle component related enhancement might provide.

In any case… the term “race engine” plays – as our resident from down under DIY performance guru – tHE tREV will no doubt testify – only a very minor role in the overall “race prep” of any “race bike”.

As any bling-bling go fast connoisseur knows… it is the “RACE PIPE” that is the key element to attaining ultimate “race bike” supremacy. The “race engine” is merely the noise generation unit for the all important “race pipe” to weave it’s audible magic on the rider and his now mesmerized – soon to be vanquished – competitors in the “race track” parking lot!

While the internal “voodoo” often related to the preparation of a “race engine” is of strategic propaganda value to the “boy racer” in the pre-event hype and psychological warfare that is engaged upon prior to competition… NOTHING is as effective as the audible will shattering roar that a true “race pipe” provides, when you fire it up in front of the bench racers accumulated behind your MXA/Monster decal adorned candy apple red pick-up on race day morning!

While the internal mod’s to a “race engine” provide a certain level of security in the mind of the rider… it is the visual attributes – like custom engraved ignition covers, anodized couplings/fittings and “safety wired” bolts (preferably titanium) that really instill fear into the very core of one’s Senior Vet Novice competition. So for that very reason, many forgo the (expensive) placebo benefits of the internal modifications and just go with the visual glitter, when preparing the “boy racer” engine.

The “race pipe” is not the only “must” as far as mere mortal race bike prep is concerned…

“Race suspension” is another of the mythical motorcycle internal dark arts that manifests itself; often in the form of “trick decals” and a spring kit. These components are often accompanied by a much heralded but oh-so “slightly different to original-altogether better formula- with improved viscosity and non-stiction properties-accentuated by the flashy die colour additive in the oil” revolutionary suspension fluid product… that together with the springs and valves will have you ripping through the washboards line Barcia, Vilopoto and Co. in no time flat! (Though it is widely acknowledged that the SINGLE biggest improvement to the suspension, in actual fact comes from the placebo stickers included with every kit… if you don’t fit those… you’re f#¤%ed!).

Which in turn, brings us to the final facet of race bike preparation… the decals!

99.9% of all bling-bling “race bike” preparation lies in the all important application of the stickers… One misplaced Mamsoil decal, or a SPLEEN-TECH suspension sticker not lined up perfectly, can have catastrophic consequences for the performance or handling of even the most meticulously prepared “race bike”.

For that reason, in recent years many “boy racers” have learnt to put their faith in the customized sticker kit… The opportunity now available; whereby a rider may now cover an entire front guard, rear guard or radiator shroud with just one carefully designed fung sheui appropriate, color co-ordinated decal, has in recent years seen the caliber of bling-bling and rider performance in the intermediate to C-novice classes improve infinitesimally.

Yes folks… obviously I am being facetious (again).

The OP - Karl (by way of a backwards introduction) first came to the attention of the collective members of the OzADV Forum/asylum a few weeks back when he enquired openly - from his self admitted “total n00b” status - about what is required to participate/compete in the Australasian Safari Rally… from a total beginner/inexperienced standpoint. By way of paraphrasing; one of the prime keynotes that cropped up was; “accumulation of knowledge, experience and physical/mental preparation… along with – obviously – the correct mount and mechanical prep.

But (motorcycling being the consumer product/bling pastime that it is), it is not uncommon that we “mere mortals” often begin with the wholesale modifications and refinements to the bike… not the other way around? After all, it is merely the rider that compliments the bikes skill and performance… isn’t it? A great bike will always win… even under a mediocre rider…? … or?

As another old (70/80’s decade) motocross legend, also once said;

“More races have been won as a result of reading the Husqvarna (rider training) manual, than the MOTO-X FOX catalogue”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 982
TSC.....You Sir, are ill. Great satire though.

Come on motorheads, answer this guys inquiry. Break it down.

It is understood that the specifics of the actual race being run would dictate the "race motor" setup.

So lets keep it rally specific. How about Coma's motor for this last dakar.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
“More races have been won as a result of reading the Husqvarna (rider training) manual, than the MOTO-X FOX catalogue”.

And where might we find a copy of this manual? Google thinks I want to ride a lawn tractor.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

And where might we find a copy of this manual? Google thinks I want to ride a lawn tractor.

http://www.yourhusky.com/files/Husqv...ing_Manual.pdf

Bearing in mind this manual was printed back in the late 70's/early 80's (you recieved a copy with every new husqvarana CR or WR model when purchased), so by today's enlightened cross training, gym patronage society standards; a lot of it may seem pretty self evident... even old hat. But at the time this was ground breaking stuff... and in fact the core values of this manual were the cornerstones for the majority of pro-MX and MX GP riders training regimens for much of the 80's into the nineties.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 04-11-2012 at 01:26 PM
Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
TSC.....You Sir, are ill. Great satire though.
Satire...? SATIRE...???!!!

I was dead bl¤¤dy serious...!

Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,790
I've owned a copy of that training manual for nearly forty years. If you do everything in it, you will either drop dead from exertion or become incredibly fit rather quickly.

Those Swedes were tough, Viking-like racers at their height!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,167
My race engine is SO secret i even don´t race it...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #15
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

Luke, can you be sure and get a copy before we leave for mexico, we may need this as a secret weapon in the battle for vintage supremacy!