Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #16
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
Maybe. Even if I'm just "plonking" I can still tell the difference between a suspension that's adjusted correctly and one that's not.

Springs are cheap and easy to install, and the tools to select the proper spring rate are readily available.

Why not get it set up correctly?

Cheap is a relative term. It would have been cheap for me 3 years ago, right now a case of Pabst beer is expensive to me. If I could get both springs for less than a 12 pack of PBR then they are cheap.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
I find that being only 150-155 lbs is easier than respringing for me :)

I haven't been 155 since 7th grade. Currently 200, I was recently 225.

I re-spring/re-valve everything.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
If you are happy with it that is all that matters. You are not hurting anything.
It will be much better sprung to your weight though.....
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-M View Post
If you are happy with it that is all that matters. You are not hurting anything.
It will be much better sprung to your weight though.....
This.
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #20
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
... that I really need to replace the rear spring and the front fork springs, blah blah blah. How necessary is that? I mean, I am perfectly happy with it the way it is. ...

If you're "perfectly happy" with the way it is, leave it alone and save yourself from the snowball effect of spending money on modifying your suspension trying to get it "perfect."

If you wonder what more there is out there (and obviously you do since you made this thread), get it sprung and set the sag and then go from there.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #21
lethe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,315
Another 150 or so pounder here
Although probably closer to 160 right now, fat ass I'm getting to be
I like that I just seem to be the design weight and size for most of these things
lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,231
All of the Above and for doG's sake don't ever short shift!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #23
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
He doesn't "have to". But he didn't think he "had to" respring his last bike either.

He doesn't "have to" but if he does, it will handle a heckuva lot better. Maybe not as big a diff as his old bike to his new bike cuz there were also other factors involved, but a heckuva lot better.

I weighed 180, a little less now with the cancer, and that was close enough for bikes like a DRZ, which I used to have. OTOH I find my Aprilia RXV to be very stiff, too stiff for amateur trail riding in the woods, I think it's both damping and springs. We also have an XT-225 and it is definitely soft for me, wallows and I can get it to pogo and bottom with the right (or would that be wrong) spacing & speed over gentle rollers on dirt roads.

Suspension makes a diff and for a heavy guy on a small bike, I really do suggest he re-spring.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #24
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
I've seen people be "happy" with some absurd shit. There's plenty of 250 lb guys riding around on bikes they're bottoming out that are grinning like fools each ride.

Also, one's frame of reference matters. If you've only ridden on damping rod pogo sticks, any half decent suspension will feel like a massive upgrade.

Speaking from past experience of riding bikes before and after an upgrade, I'd just respring the goddamed bike.

But by all means, do what makes you "happy. " It's your money, not mine.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
high dangler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
just ride the damn thing and have fun.
the susp industry has to convince people that stock is no good so they can sell their pricey parts.
Really Its the same with all aftermarket parts
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 AM   #26
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Ok, I've had a major cold the last few days so riding is out, and I'm on spring break (work at the school) so I've been playing around with this the sag adjustment following this: http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/sag.html

I'm very close to having the "race sag" correct. I think. I just don't have my wife here to measure for me. (I was working on it last night, having her come and measure every few minutes ;) Is this possible with the stock spring? It has definitely tightened up the rear suspension. Am I theoretically heading in the right direction? I don't mind playing around with the stock stuff just to see what happens.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #27
theDoktor
Husky Racer

Oddometer: 133
Mike, playing around with your stock adjustments is absolutely the best way to start. Keep a written record of your measurements and each of your adjustments and only make one adjustment at a time. You absolutely DO NOT make more than one adjustment at a time! Test ride after each adjustment and record the results. Do the spring and preload adjustments first. If they are within the factory-recommended range, then proceed with the dampening adjustments. From what I read on the link, they probably have very good and easy-to-follow instructions on dampening adjustment.

Have fun with it and enjoy the results.
theDoktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #28
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Ok, I've had a major cold the last few days so riding is out, and I'm on spring break (work at the school) so I've been playing around with this the sag adjustment following this: http://www.planetklx.org/techtips/sag.html

I'm very close to having the "race sag" correct. I think. I just don't have my wife here to measure for me. (I was working on it last night, having her come and measure every few minutes ;) Is this possible with the stock spring? It has definitely tightened up the rear suspension. Am I theoretically heading in the right direction? I don't mind playing around with the stock stuff just to see what happens.
Yes, you're heading in the right direction. My suspension guy says it's better to have the right spring with minimal pre-load than the wrong spring with LOTS of pre-load, but that's better than nothing.

So keep playing iwth it, and if you find it makes things even better, then maybe springs is the next step.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:47 AM   #29
engineerjoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
The best money I ever put into my DRZ was to have the suspension resprung and revalved for my weight and riding style. It helped on trails, the supermoto track and everyday riding on the street.

When riding aggressively, it will make a huge difference in performance and comfort.
When putting around you won't notice the changes as much as you won't be using the suspension as much.

My suggestion is to ride it as it is untill you decide you want to go faster.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #30
SuperGlueRyan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
As one fat ass to another:

If it is within your means Mechanically/Financially just respring/valve it and tune the suspension for your weight. It makes a difference. I'd rather pay 110% of the bike and get 100% our of it than 100% and only get 50-60% out of it.

But if it is really a non-issue to you, then eff it and just leave it as is.
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote