Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #46
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
When you start getting faster, if you stand when going over bumps or dips it will help. You have to, or should stand when it gets rough regardless of rider weight, bike or suspension work. Have you put a ziptie around the fork leg? If not, do it and you will know how much of your availible travel is being used.

Also, if you raise your forks in the triple clamps you can lower tha front end a little. Don't raise them too much, start with 1/4". That will balance out the rear if you've loosened up the preload.

Another thing you can do to help your rear shock/spring is move the rear axle forward as much as possible. This can be done by either removing two links out of the chain if the sprockets allow. Or a change in the rear sprocket by a couple or more teeth may position it more forward.

The further forward the rear wheel is means the lever that is your swingarm is shorter, making the spring harder to compress.

I moved mine forward for sharper turning on my supermoto. I had to back off the preload to keep the same sag.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #47
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
After going on a camping trip loaded down with gear, I decided I needed to respring. The weight of myself plus all the gear just made me pogo all over the place. I talked with Moto Pro Suspensions and have new fork springs and a shock spring on the way. :)

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #48
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,364
Now you have first hand knowledge as to whether it's worth it or not

09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #49
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,263
re spring and re valve accordingly..your kidneys will thank you later trust me I know

JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #50
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
I'm just sayin...and I'm not trying to be a jerk...if you're willing to back off your sag for the sake of getting both feet on the ground, don't spend the dough on springs/suspension.

Big time. If you are doing high-performance riding, setup for your weight, setting sag, or going with high zoot aftermarket parts, etc. is critical to getting the most out of the bike... and you. If you are just putting around off road, and riding on the street, it will probably be money not well spent.

I went from a WR250 R with no setup, to a KTM 400 EXC setup by a local suspension guru, and the improvement was staggering. I will NEVER own a bike that is not properly setup for my riding capabilities and weight. The difference is that big.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 AM   #51
Frostback
Frostback

Oddometer: 219
Gentlemen and women (if they dare): I have read every one of these posts even though I don't own a dirtbike right now. What appeared a simple question- to re-spring or not?- took on many dimensions: advice, technical settings, weight loss, jocular name-calling, the usual Advrider stuff, but there may be a deeper conundrum at play here. One that potentially affects us all. Can I be happy with something I like a lot when there is the possibility that something better is out there? Everyone is different. For some it will lead to owning both both a 12GS AND a Multistrada; some will chuck their marriage after one trip to Hooters, others yet will happily continue riding their 1973 CB350 without misgiving.

The nugget of wisdom here is to know one's self and look at situations realistically from the perspective of past behavior - which incidentally, the OP does. Now that the seed of "what if?" has been deeply planted and the costs analyzed, I don't see why he wouldn't do a suspension upgrade unless of course, he NEEDS that case of PBR. I applaude the restraint of going for a simple upgrade as a way of delaying the jump to a whole new bike. Simple pleasures, minimal cost, curiosity assauged, satisfaction possibly attained, certainly something will be learned. Is there a really good reason not to do this?

Lee
Frostback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #52
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
So Mike, how does it ride now? Or will it be the first real test this weekend with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:29 AM   #53
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
So Mike, how does it ride now? Or will it be the first real test this weekend with me?
This weekend will be the real test.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 AM   #54
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,879
The suspense is killin me here.....

???Well.... whadda u think? Worth it??? Or not?? Been lurkin here because I'm intrested in anything related to the KLX250. Inquiring minds need to know.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #55
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
For it to be its best, respring it.

BUT!, if you're happy with it, keep on truckin'.

Proper suspension will let you go faster with less fatigue, but again if you're happy.

Jim

PS Fatty with upgraded suspension!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #56
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I couldn't flat foot it before, I could get the balls of both of my feet on the ground. Now I can barely get tip toes on the ground.
On a dirt bike you should only "need" to have ONE foot on the ground at a time.

But it depends on whether you want your bike set up for performance riding or easy casual riding. It's a choice. When I had my Aprilia RXV550, it has about a 37 inch static seat height, I'm maybe 5'-9" now, and I never had both feet on the ground at the same time. Unless I was stopped in a hole. I usually ride a DRZ which is maybe a couple of inches lower and while I CAN have both toes on the ground at the same time, usually I just use one ball of the foot or the other.

On bikes this light there is no real need to have both feet down at the same time. You know which way the bike is leaning because you put it that way.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM   #57
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post

???Well.... whadda u think? Worth it??? Or not?? Been lurkin here because I'm intrested in anything related to the KLX250. Inquiring minds need to know.
I haven't really done any offroad riding since the re-spring (Riding my FZ6 too much) I'm heading up to Traverse City this weekend to test it out on the ORV system up there.