Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #16
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolupm View Post
if i may be so bold....the king of farkles.

YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
the stock suspension is poor... no doubt about it... but I've never understood those engine-tuners especially in the case of 800GS.
the engine IS imho NOT neglected... it can be wilder, but thats the same for any engine with cat.
Without cat, your bike stinks.
Have you ridden a F8 after the EFI was tuned? It's a fact the bike comes from the factory in a lean condition to pass EPA - that's also why it comes with a charcoal canister in the USA and not anywhere else. If you look at the stock EFI map vs a map that has been customized to maintain a 13.x AFR then you would know what I'm talking about, but it sounds like you're operating on conjecture here. While true that the F800GS engine feels good and powerful in stock form that does not mean it is not lean, and the difference in operation when it is properly tuned is dramatically different.

If you want to neglect the AFR on your engines that's fine, but you're missing out on having the engine perform as it was designed - not as it was neutered by the EPA requirements; cat or no-cat.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
To remap it, does one ideally need a Power Commander, or some BMW specific tuning device?

The stock suspension may "suck" compared to a light dual sport, but for me it's great. I may have the forks re-sprung because I note when I brake at highway speeds the front end really dives.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Pissed

Quote:
the spray never lubricates chain as effectivelly as the Scottoiler. It doesnt include that glue/gum part to keep stuck on and in the chain.

the difference is really evident... I have my fifth chain... think I can compare.

at least for broad use... it gives the 800GS true kardan feel.
Hicks, are you a stock holder? How can that device do anything I can't do? How does the oiler put oil on every inch of your chain while riding down the road? The oiler may work but I don't understand what it does that I can't. Does it use majic oil? How much does the majic oil cost? I guess if a person is too sorry to lubricate his chain it might be worth something to him. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #19
ZachZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Imo

The windscreen is worth it, just make sure it is tall enough for you.

You can modify the seat shape yourself and/or buy an Airhawk cushion. *

The $1.99 Caterpillar O-ring works fine for a throttle cruise control.

A 15T counter sprocket is a cheap way ($25) to improve the acceleration. *It reduces the top speed by about 5-8mph in each gear. *It makes the bike a little more fun around town and it's easy to swap out.

The Leo Vince muffler looks great, reduces weight and sounds sweet. Very happy with that farkle.*

Get a tank bag or tail bag. Very worth it for daily convenience.

Handle bar risers are nice if you are tall.

Grip puppies are cheap and make the hands more comfortable.

If you intend to use a hard-wired gps, heated gear, fog lights, etc. then you should consider a fuse block.

Those are the most cost effective mods I can think of and they cover a broad range of comforts.

Don't protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends.
ZachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #20
IQm3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 990 View Post
Just Ordered a Triple Black (arrives on the 10th) Traded my 990A with every conceivable extra but I had to chip in a few dollars. I don't have much money left for extras, which are the most important in order of must have to nice to have and which ones should I get from Beemer if any?
I think that my last post needs an update…

First of all…

You need to get a TOOL KIT; the “tools” that come with the bike can use a "little" upgrade.
Two excellent options: Adventure Designs or Cruz Tools.

There is a post about the tools that you may need for the bike.

Safe riding
IQm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #21
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Hicks isn't a shareholder but he does have another Scott Oiler mounted just above his........

Oh, nevermind.
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Uncle Evil
Island Boy

Oddometer: 20
most important ........

The crash bars and bash plate are the obvious ones. You have to have them if you are going off road .
For me the next most important was the seat. Man I hated that stock seat .
I modified it myself a few times but still wasn't real happy with it .
So I went and got a Rich's Custom seat , and that just made the bike a pleasure to ride .
I've added lots of things to my bike but those are the most important for me.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #23
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Hicks, are you a stock holder? How can that device do anything I can't do? How does the oiler put oil on every inch of your chain while riding down the road? The oiler may work but I don't understand what it does that I can't. Does it use majic oil? How much does the majic oil cost? I guess if a person is too sorry to lubricate his chain it might be worth something to him. GH
+1, and not only those points but it also makes a huge mess of the chain if you ever go offroad. They're a terrible product IMHO.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #24
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
as I said.. they use a DIFFERENT, more effective, oil.

it doesnt need to have that glue-like substance besides oil as the spray has.

every inch is lubricated, because the injection during the ride covers all/much of the chain.

so stop every minute and oil your chain with a engine oil, or WD. that would be comparable.

I'm really surprised thet you Yanks do not use that. How backwards...
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #25
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
Hicks isn't a shareholder but he does have another Scott Oiler mounted just above his........

Oh, nevermind.
do you know that the basic vacuum Scottoiler is now sold as an original BMW part?

...no, I didn't mean that vacuum thing you always have next to your bed :P
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
do you know that the basic vacuum Scottoiler is now sold as an original BMW part?

...no, I didn't mean that vacuum thing you always have next to your bed :P
BMW will re-brand and sell a lot of things if people are buying them. Like many products that are marketed and mass purchased, quantity sold does not define usefulness or positive benefit; correlation does not causation make. You may have heard of placebos, or bridges for sale in Alaska...
Old 04-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #27
michelsavage
Gotta move

Oddometer: 53
New, new, new

I haven't even yet received my new blue F650GS from Moto Internalionale in Montreal. When I ordered it, however, I bought some farkles (which I could add to financing); I did, however, have to trust people's experience and advice. TT crash bar and high bar, TT hand guards, V-Stream windshield, bash plate and oil filter protection, Zega Pro black panniers (ouch...), cruise control. I had to stop farkling but they also suggested fender extenders (whatever they're called).

I did not order anything for the seat - I have to try the stock one before I experiment with the Airhawk. I really really hope the V-Stream works and is not going to make the bike look stupid. Tool kit is an excellent idea - Advrider has two kits, one that fits under the seat. Patch kit and pump, for sure. I don't know about tank bags - some say it's in the way of driving. That's it.

We have experienced freak weather here in Montreal. It was summertime before spring showed up. I'm getting really twitchy.

And as for people who say the F650GS is for girls or newbies, I say fine. Watch me. See ya in Tiera del Fuego, or Chiang Rai, Thailand...
michelsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #28
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,436
Laugh

One - the seat
Two - the bash plate engine guard
three -
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #29
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
BMW will re-brand and sell a lot of things if people are buying them. Like many products that are marketed and mass purchased, quantity sold does not define usefulness or positive benefit; correlation does not causation make. You may have heard of placebos, or bridges for sale in Alaska...
I think it fits into the big picture -- I mean that the automatic oiler becomes standard or at least more common (because it's great ;)

I wanted to say that it took nearly 1000 years to bring a first university across the ocean into the U.S, so we should not have unrealistic expectations about you... but I'll not say that :P

Hicks screwed with this post 04-04-2012 at 08:39 AM
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #30
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
I think it fits into the big picture -- I mean that the automatic oiler becomes standard or at least more common (because it's great ;)

I wanted to say that it took nearly 1000 years to bring a first university across the ocean into the U.S, so we should not have unrealistic expectations about you... but I'll not say that :P
so when im in Baja riding though 20miles of silt, the one thing i dont want is fresh oil on my chain. you could break a chain with all that mud on that chain. and why wouldn't you just run an o-ring chain, no need to oil really.