Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 AM   #31
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Stupid question but do magnetic tank bags work with the FxxxGS?
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #32
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casejeep View Post
so when im in Baja riding though 20miles of silt, the one thing i dont want is fresh oil on my chain. you could break a chain with all that mud on that chain. and why wouldn't you just run an o-ring chain, no need to oil really.
I recommended Scottoiler for onroad use...

a) that type of oil used by Scottoiler doesnt have to necessarily create mud balls.. it doesnt stick to the chain much.. dont know personally, didnt tried

b) if you claim that o-ring chain is lubricated from the factory, and there is no need for further lubrication -- the answer is simple -- this is a false .. and potentially DANGEROUR rumor.

from my other todays post:

"The truth is that only a PART of the o-ring chain is internally lubricated from the factory. But there is still an internal surface, WHICH MUST be oiled.

The KEY and MUST is to put a lube between a roller and inner sideplate."

Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #33
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHighwayman View Post
Stupid question but do magnetic tank bags work with the FxxxGS?
of course no.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #34
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
I recommended Scottoiler for onroad use...

a) that type of oil used by Scottoiler doesnt have to necessarily create mud balls.. it doesnt stick to the chain much.. dont know personally, didnt tried

b) if you claim that o-ring chain is lubricated from the factory, and there is no need for further lubrication -- the answer is simple -- this is a false .. and potentially DANGEROUR rumor.

from my other todays post:

"The truth is that only a PART of the o-ring chain is internally lubricated from the factory. But there is still an internal surface, WHICH MUST be oiled.

The KEY and MUST is to put a lube between a roller and inner sideplate."

Hey I have a great idea: Keep your oiler nonsense to the thread you already started specifically for that topic, clearly there are not too many people interested in the topic so you're not only duplicating your efforts but you're not getting a good response. Do you know how to have a productive conversation?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
Juandia
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
ergonomics and personal preferences aside, you want the bike to breathe correctly and it comes very lean from the factory, so:

1. UNI or other brand aftermarket airfilter
2. New muffler of some kind, and headers if you want to get rid of the heavy restrictive cat
3. PC-V and Auto-Tune to wake up the EFI and get the lean out

Neglecting engine tuning is second only to neglecting suspension tuning: they deliver the bike in sub-optimal condition to pass EPA and the suspension is not very adjustable and generally just sucks all around. Tune both and then start on the peripherals.
Thats great info to know ... Do you reccomend any specific products? I just bought an F650 and just finished the break in .... Eventhough this is the first bike ive ever owned i can definately tell the tuning seems to be short of where it could be ...

I do have one question though being new to this whole new world ... Whats up with this whole charcoal canister nonsense and does the 650 have it (i read that the 8s do). Why does bmw even put it on... Is it to clean the emissions? Plus if i take it off, what other mods need to be done so i dont screw up my shiny (soon to be muddy) new bike?
Juandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #36
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
Do you know how to have a productive conversation?
with you? hardly...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #37
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Scott oiler is crap. Been there done that.

What do I use? ATF in a squirt bottle every other fill up. Costs nest to nothing and my chains last forever. I chainge them because It's been years not because they are worn out.

Seriously Hicks is going to say they are useful and worth it?

Other things I have done in order I would do them:
Get the HighTech Coon Ass Power Controller - worth every penny
Suspension - Front first
Exhaust pipe - Leo Vince works well
Change sprockets to a 15/41 set up

Oh and the skinny grip fix b/c the skinny grips suck.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #38
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangplank View Post
scott oiler is crap. Been there done that.

What do i use? Atf in a squirt bottle every other fill up. Costs nest to nothing and my chains last forever. I chainge them because it's been years not because they are worn out.

Seriously hicks is going to say they are useful and worth it?

other things i have done in order i would do them:
Get the hightech coon ass power controller - worth every penny
suspension - front first
exhaust pipe - leo vince works well
change sprockets to a 15/41 set up

oh and the skinny grip fix b/c the skinny grips suck.
+1
Old 04-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #39
Hicks
der Überluber

OMG... maybe you guys simply can't feel a difference
Old 04-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #40
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
OMG... maybe you guys simply can't feel a difference
Dude its not worth it.

you know what they say about arguing with people on the internet. even if you win, your both fucking loosers.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 AM   #41
blackfly911
Meat Popsicle

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Dude its not worth it.

you know what they say about arguing with people on the internet. even if you win, your both fucking loosers.

The most valid statement made in this thread.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #42
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juandia View Post
Thats great info to know ... Do you reccomend any specific products? I just bought an F650 and just finished the break in .... Eventhough this is the first bike ive ever owned i can definately tell the tuning seems to be short of where it could be ...

I do have one question though being new to this whole new world ... Whats up with this whole charcoal canister nonsense and does the 650 have it (i read that the 8s do). Why does bmw even put it on... Is it to clean the emissions? Plus if i take it off, what other mods need to be done so i dont screw up my shiny (soon to be muddy) new bike?

Whether you have the canister depends on if you live in the US. Actually started as a California thing. It collects fumes from fuel in the gas tank, cleans it up with the charcoal, then gets injected through the throttle bodies on demand.

If you remove it, you need to block the line from the canister to the throttle body.

The fuel tank line to the canister has a check valve on it, that relies on suction to open, but will open with enough pressure within the tank.

I forgot the pressures involved, but pretty minimal. It is responsible for the "whoosh" you get at times on hot days.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 10:14 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #43
Hicks
der Überluber

Quote:
Dude its not worth it.

it depends on the opponent... calm forum often means boring forum...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #44
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Dude its not worth it.

Agreed on two points: oiler is not worth the money, arguing with hicks is not worth the time (but I love pushing people's buttons and it's light entertainment during calm periods at the office).

Btw, Case now that my suspension is done we need to do that DV trip. I want to get one last weekend in there before I move to Costa Rica
Old 04-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #45
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
If you remove it, you need to block the line from the canister to the throttle body.
I plugged mine with a UNI crank case breather filter, should I remove that and plug the line with a bolt or plastic plug? I figured the filter was equivalent to stock minus the charcoal can, but I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I forgot the pressures involved, but pretty minimal. It is responsible for the "whoosh" you get at times on hot days.
IIRC it was 5psi at the tank check valve.