Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
F650GS - Upgrade to F800 suspension (or better)

Hey guys,

So Ive got a F650gs and been out and about on it.. I love it.. I wanted the F800 but couldnt get it at the time.

So I was wondering has anyone put the F800 suspension on the F650 before?

What sort of cost am I looking at for this conversion?

To try my luck, has anyone upgraded their F800 suspension and wanna sell there old ones? hehehe
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Hicks
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Hey guys,

So Ive got a F650gs and been out and about on it.. I love it.. I wanted the F800 but couldnt get it at the time.

So I was wondering has anyone put the F800 suspension on the F650 before?

What sort of cost am I looking at for this conversion?

To try my luck, has anyone upgraded their F800 suspension and wanna sell there old ones? hehehe
you mean the whole front fork?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
There's a reason a lot of F800GS owners upgrade their suspension, if you see what I'm getting at. If you want better suspension get something other than stock F800GS suspension unless you plan on gutting it (tubes are still weak).
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah I mean the whole front fork as they are completely different on the F650 and 800 (800 is upside down)

I'd like to find one of these people who have done the upgrade and see if they are willing to part with their existing suspension. soft f800 suspension is better than f650 suspension no doubt.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 AM   #5
Lokey
redneck

Oddometer: 252
Well, if you weren't so far away, I have a KTM front end I have no use for anymore.
Lokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Yeah I mean the whole front fork as they are completely different on the F650 and 800 (800 is upside down)

I'd like to find one of these people who have done the upgrade and see if they are willing to part with their existing suspension. soft f800 suspension is better than f650 suspension no doubt.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. You're better off finding some take off Marzocchi or Showa forks from a supermoto or dirtbike and using those, you'll just need to have a steertube made for the triples that come with the forks. I know for a fact that there are some very nice 50mm marzocchi forks (fully adjustable sumo race stuff) on http://supermotojunkies.com for sale right now. If you contact jeff@toxicmotoracing.com he can set you up. Last I heard he had several sets that were around $200-500.

Edit: wrong email, it's "Jeff Rydalch" toxicmotoracing@gmail.com -- tell him Shotgun sent you.

Edit2:
Forks:
New 50mm Shivers. Take-offs from a dealer- $500
Used 45mm Shivers. My old forks currently set up for supermoto. I'll install new seals- $250

Triple clamps:
New take-offs for 50mm forks, from same dealer- $200
Used set from my old 45mm forks- $100
Old 04-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Quote:

I have a rear shock with less then 1k miles on it, that will be a good start and I'll let it goe cheep
Angryrican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
mostro900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Hey speed_racer, I've just put intiminators in my front forks to make them a bit more solid and better for off-road. I've also just purchased a stock 2nd hand rear shock from an F800gs and will install that as well. That should give me more ground clearance and better off-road capability. Also means modifying the side stand and centre stand. I will probably modify the front end too so that the bikes geometry isn't upset too much.

I'd like to do new forks up front, but will wait till some more $$$'s start flowing in and then look at new forks/triple.

There are quite a few threads by people that have upgraded the suspension on their 650's. Had these saved...

Long Travel 650 : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739524
650 Suspension Question : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409795
650 Morph : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662093
650 Susp Upgrade : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641777
Beef it up : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546204
mostro900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
I have a rear shock with less then 1k miles on it, that will be a good start and I'll let it goe cheep
what's the going rate on a used rear shock?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
mostro900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by señormoto View Post
what's the going rate on a used rear shock?
I just bought one and I'm reluctant to say - maybe I paid too bloody much!

I got one with about 3000kms on it for about $350 aussie. Roughly $360 USD. ??
mostro900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #11
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
Pm sent
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey thanks heaps for the replies guys..

mostro, thanks for the idea (and research).. I saw the guy who has done the front tubes and a rear F800 rear.. that looks the goods (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739524), ill have a read through more of the posts u just put up and see what others have done..

Considering how much the F800 suspension gets bagged as a stock unit, I think a custom solution might be the go. I thought I would need the F800 tube bottoms to fit the wheel and brake caliper though, but the axle size is different along with probably the brake caliper mounting as it would be a different disc size (maybe?).

I might go speak to a suspension guy and see what they come up with, But the kit for $175US up top is pretty good.. No doubt in australia it would be like $500 for the same thing :P
Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #13
mungus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Wicked Reckon so....

Hi Speed Racer,

As someone who is evaluating options for my F800GS's suspension, my advice is stay clear of any of it for your F650GS. The OEM shock and fork cartridges are low end, and almost every suspension tuner I've spoken to has advised me not to touch them. The fork cartridges are sealed units with no adjustment possible and the shock has no compression adjuster. Some have achieved an improvement on the front end with some quality springs and oil, then left it at that... They would give you some more travel and ground clearance though. I wouldn't buy an OEM shock; poor specs and valving needs fixing even before you fit it. I'd recommend saving the $$ for a decent unit.

Ohlins's shock for the FGS comes from their budget line, and lacks compression adjustment etc. For only a little more a fully adjustable Wilbers 641 is way better. (in OZ with the pre-load remote, they cost $1,270 AUD). With the forks its more complicated. If you want to use F8GS forks the ultimate is fitting Ohlins NIX or TTX cartridges, that will give you fantastic suspension, but expensive at $1,800+ USD (+ fitting & shipping). For that cost I might even sell my F8 and get a KTM 950 as the base for better ADV bike project! If you don't fit the Ohlins cartridges then springs and a revalve is the most you'll get. And they will never be adjustable.
To see what is ultimately possible on BMW F/GS's, check out senormoto's excellent recent threads; he has made one wicked F8GS.

The cheaper way is as senormoto suggests, is buying a pair of nice forks off a KTM or similar, and finding some triple clamps to fit them to your F650GS steering head.
But then you also have to figure out what you are going to do with the front wheel and brakes etc. Perhaps the old castings could swapped over to take the rest of the OEM front end, but at that stage many just swap the lot for a proper enduro set up (getting a decent front rim & high mudguard to boot). However thats a big job and perhaps way beyond what you wanted? Those front end swaps jobs can make a fantastic "Enduroized" F/GS, (what they should have been since the start), but its a big project and requires skills, etc. Of course there is always the toss up over whether its worth spending all this money, time and hassle on trying to make something half decent vs. just buying an ADV bike that comes with proper suspension. (e.g. KTM 690 Enduro with a big tank or the 950/990 ADV etc).

mungus screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 08:39 PM
mungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,890
Heres the route I went.... And fairly budget.
HyperPro 800 rear shock & 2" longer fork tubes up front.
This gives an equally raised bike netting 9+" travel in the rear, while keeping the stock 7.1" fork travel doing it in this manner.
Really, I do not bottom the 7.1" of travel much. Seldom even. I do have Race Tech fork guts, new springs and appropriate oil.
Front brake line and stands are the next issues to deal with.
Ground clearance was what I was after. Got it, with better suspension to boot.
But...... What I ended up with is a monster sized 658 which is tall (36" seat height) and heavy in precarious situations.
Tank like. ....I'm barely tall enough.
Check your inseam!
Nice big 658 though.

Heres the Link.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #15
Tessitori
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokey View Post
Well, if you weren't so far away, I have a KTM front end I have no use for anymore.
I am interested in your fork if it's still available!

Cheers,

Andrew
(SF/Bay Area )
Tessitori is offline   Reply With Quote