Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #91
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,289
I've been running a Scottoiler for three years, resulting in chain and sprockets lasting longer than otherwise expected. It's not that the Scottoiler performs miracles; it just makes sprocket and chain lubrication constant, consistent and easy. For the lazy, it's a godsend.

BMW engineers were impressed enough to have made it a BMW-authorized accessory.

When I originally installed the device, I contacted the manufacturer to ask which oil is recommended when I'm on the road and I have no "Scottoiler oil." It was a bit like pulling teeth, but the answer finally came: automatic transmission fluid.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #92
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
When I originally installed the device, I contacted the manufacturer to ask which oil is recommended when I'm on the road and I have no "Scottoiler oil." It was a bit like pulling teeth, but the answer finally came: automatic transmission fluid.

Fred
thx for the information.. I've expected that a bit ;) On their website they speak about "transmission oil" -- but not the automatic one.

So the picture is almost complete...
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 AM   #93
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
I use penetrating oil and it does a great job and flows in cold weather.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #94
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
ATF.....

Now the only choice is whether you want to spend money and clean up the mess with a SO vs just squirting it on manually.

Difference is without it you wipe you bike's butt less
With it your chain supposedly will last longer
With it you will change your chain ???
Without it and using the ATF regularly squirt every 4-500 miles your chain will last plenty long. Just say'n

You choose... then and
Old 04-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #95
Hicks OP
der Überluber

You forgot to mention, that after a (heavy) rain, you have to stop and manually lube the chain again. I doubt the ATF will survive... it's quite easily washable with water, imho.

We, the Scottoiler überlubers, only increase temporarily the oiling frequency from handlebars... that's all

But I can perfectly understand, that you prefer messing with chain on the gas stations instead of having a coffee... :P
Old 04-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #96
seņormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
You forgot to mention, that after a (heavy) rain, you have to stop and manually lube the chain again. I doubt the ATF will survive... it's quite easily washable with water, imho.

We, the Scottoiler überlubers, only increase temporarily the oiling frequency from handlebars... that's all

But I can perfectly understand, that you prefer messing with chain on the gas stations instead of having a coffee... :P

Chains are not expensive and can be replaced whenever you want to do so. The eSystem is $279, that's the cost of two chains (approximately).

So, if you figure a regular chain with regular lube goes for around 15-20k miles when lubed properly (not using an oiler) , then you need to have that chain last as long as the life of 3 chains (stock chain life + cost of two chains for the eSystem). If the oiler is not making your chain last LONGER than 45-60k miles then you haven't yet broken even on the cost of your oiler setup.

Oiler = waste of money. Just buy a new chain when you need one and lube it as necessary.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #97
Nanuq
Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer: 1,067
2008 KLR 685- Iron Butt Association #44803
Trippin' in the Yukon & the AK!

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth" - Steve McQueen
Nanuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 AM   #98
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

You may be unaware of this, Hicks, be here in Oregon we get quite a lot of rain. There's a reason that our two largest universities have Ducks and Beavers as their team mascots. But I have never increased the frequency of my chain lubing because of heavy rain, nor ever lubed it at a gas station, and I got >24,000 miles (38,624 km) on my first chain, and am now at >14,000 miles (22,530 km) on my second. It still looks and functions like new. I ride in all kinds of weather, on and off pavement, in dust, and mud, and I give the chain a quick squirt about every 500 miles, or when I (rarely) wash the bike. It just takes a few seconds. So the way I see it, I need a Scottoiler about as much as I need mechanical butt wiper. And the money I've saved pays for a lot of gas (and coffee).

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #99
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 454

Costs about $5. Bottle good for about 6000 miles of mixed use. Takes :15 to apply.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #100
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 454
Hey, while we're at it:

If you are going to use a chain oiler-thingy, what about your tire pressure? If your chain needs perfect lube all the time, I think your tires need to be at the correct pressure all the time. They do tend to seep out pressure constantly. Checking them sure is a chore.

I think I might have to permanently rig up mini-compressors to each wheel valve that are calibrated to a certain PSI. Lose a PSI - compressor clicks on - RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR - PSI back in. The wiring will be tough, and I'm gonna guess that the wheel is going to need a fair amount of extra weight to counter-balance it out. Totally worth it though.

What do guys think? Overkill?
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:12 PM   #101
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post
Hey, while we're at it:

If you are going to use a chain oiler-thingy, what about your tire pressure? If your chain needs perfect lube all the time, I think your tires need to be at the correct pressure all the time. They do tend to seep out pressure constantly. Checking them sure is a chore.
you dont have an automatic tire inflator?... poor loser :P
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #102
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCD View Post

Costs about $5. Bottle good for about 6000 miles of mixed use. Takes :15 to apply.
15 minutes or 15 seconds? :)
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #103
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks View Post
You may be unaware of this, Hicks, be here in Oregon we get quite a lot of rain. There's a reason that our two largest universities have Ducks and Beavers as their team mascots. But I have never increased the frequency of my chain lubing because of heavy rain, nor ever lubed it at a gas station, and I got >24,000 miles (38,624 km) on my first chain, and am now at >14,000 miles (22,530 km) on my second. It still looks and functions like new. I ride in all kinds of weather, on and off pavement, in dust, and mud, and I give the chain a quick squirt about every 500 miles, or when I (rarely) wash the bike. It just takes a few seconds. So the way I see it, I need a Scottoiler about as much as I need mechanical butt wiper. And the money I've saved pays for a lot of gas (and coffee).
I have seen so many guys claiming "my chain is a-ok" when it was really dead, that sorry -- I have to be reserved about your claims ;)

Will you take an youtube video of your chain running, on a central stand... on a 1st gear please?

+ when you slowly rotate the rear wheel and testing the chain slack in the same time?

---

On the other hand -- when someone cannot feel a dead chain, he can hardly distinguish between freshly spray-lubed chain and the Scottoiler.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #104
Hicks OP
der Überluber

Quote:
Originally Posted by seņormoto View Post
Chains are not expensive and can be replaced whenever you want to do so. The eSystem is $279, that's the cost of two chains (approximately).
original rear sprocket costs about 100USD here + front sprocket 30USD + chain ~130 USD... it;s about an ONE chain set here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seņormoto View Post
So, if you figure a regular chain with regular lube goes for around 15-20k miles when lubed properly (not using an oiler) , then you need to have that chain last as long as the life of 3 chains (stock chain life + cost of two chains for the eSystem). If the oiler is not making your chain last LONGER than 45-60k miles then you haven't yet broken even on the cost of your oiler setup.

Oiler = waste of money. Just buy a new chain when you need one and lube it as necessary.
if you want to stick with a poorly oiled chain and twitching bike, so be it.

For the rest of us who enjoy the smooth ride, there is an automatic oiler.

+

Scottoiler saves you a lot of chain-maintenance time, you have to take it into the account as well.

But as I said.. I've never had financial motive with Scottoiler.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:42 PM   #105
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
why on gods slightly browned earth are people still talking about this?

im pretty sure 9 out of 10 people think this product is useless. out of the 7 pages of this shit maybe only half a page is really about the product.

no one gives a crap about any of this.