Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #121
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I think that we can all agree that the large chain stores like Walmart, Target, etc. are not always the best places to buy moto gear. But I do know that there are valuable items at these chain stores that we can all use on our ADV trips. So, what have you bought that you can recommend to all other inmates? Don't forget your pictures!!!
Great idea for a thread (seriously!).

I've bought lots of things from the big boxes that have made my travels good.

Recently bought a SKLZ brand cooling towel for $9 at Wally World. Wet it at your stops, wring it out, put it around your neck and you'll stay cool all day long. Keep charging it, it's machine washable and doesn't hinder you at all. Great product, and can be used on and off the bike.

Also bought a lot of the Champion C9 undergarments from Target for base layers...work great, cheap, and easy to find on the road if you need one.

The Starter brand Dri-Fit socks are a great deal...and are as comfy as the Under Armor variety at much less $$.

Like a lot of people have mentioned the Outdoor Products dry bags too...I've used mine for 3 years on the bike, canoeing, you name it. Still haven't leaked.

swingset screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 02:26 PM
swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #122
phoneman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Not sure I'd call it " adventure gear " but the woodbead seat covers at Wallyworld will turn your Weestrom seat into something you can ride on for a while. Just rode to Colorado and back--720 miles the first day and 650 miles the second day and my butt never hurt. Put on another pad for the last 340 miles to Cortez, Co. and my rear was crying about 150 miles later. I think I paid about $ 9.00 for it---worked like a charm--a 2012 Weestrom seat just ain't made for any comfort.
phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #123
glassman64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post

Quote :

Yep I bought the same type of tent from them and live in it for 3 months when I didn't want to rent a place in sunny Kelowna BC one summer. Never leaked. Gave it to a friend.

I got one of these tents also,,,25.00.. my last tent was a lil bit small and cramped.. The cool thing was, our local Wally World didnt have one in stock ,, so I had it shipped to me for only 1.89 in shipping...now how could they do that??? lol lol
Oh, and dont forget your local Dollar Stores,,, Its amazing the lil items a person can pick up. Especially if its something small that might get left somewhere or it gets ruined.... ya throw it away and keep riding..

glassman64 screwed with this post 07-12-2012 at 07:09 PM Reason: mis spelled
glassman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #124
azia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman64 View Post
I got one of these tents also,,,25.00.. my last tent was a lil bit small and cramped.. The cool thing was, our local Wally World didnt have one in stock ,, so I had it shipped to me for only 1.89 in shipping...now how could they do that??? lol lol
Oh, and dont forget your local Dollar Stores,,, Its amazing the lil items a person can pick up. Especially if its something small that might get left somewhere or it gets ruined.... ya throw it away and keep riding..
^Great point. That might need to be a separate thread...cuz I don't know about everyone else but I've been finding a beepload of camping-related goods at my local dollarstore (well, it's $1-3). Headlamps, firestarter sticks, battery powered fans, tarps, lightweight food containers, etc.
azia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #125
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by azia View Post
^Great point. That might need to be a separate thread...cuz I don't know about everyone else but I've been finding a beepload of camping-related goods at my local dollarstore (well, it's $1-3). Headlamps, firestarter sticks, battery powered fans, tarps, lightweight food containers, etc.
Personally now when I want stuff I head to geartrade.com and pay dollar store prices on stuff. Just bought a 150 buck wax cotton coat for 20 bucks . It's were backcountry.com sells there returns.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #126
Naegling
Fireman/Ambulance Jockey

Oddometer: 91
This might have been mentioned before but I've been loving having a hammock with me after a hard days ride. You can find an "Equip" brand hammock similar to a ENO singlenest by the camp chairs at most Wal-Marts for around $25 with suspension.

That first cheapo hammock even got me to switch over to hammock camping instead of on the cold hard ground.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #127
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naegling View Post
This might have been mentioned before but I've been loving having a hammock with me after a hard days ride. You can find an "Equip" brand hammock similar to a ENO singlenest by the camp chairs at most Wal-Marts for around $25 with suspension.

That first cheapo hammock even got me to switch over to hammock camping instead of on the cold hard ground.
How is a hammock for the back, though? Seems counter-intuitive that after a long day's riding being curled in a hammock is ... comfortable or good for the back the next day.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #128
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
The Starter brand Dri-Fit socks are a great deal...and are as comfy as the Under Armor variety at much less $$.

Like a lot of people have mentioned the Outdoor Products dry bags too...I've used mine for 3 years on the bike, canoeing, you name it. Still haven't leaked.
+1 on both those items. Often in the auto section they have packages of microfiber washcloths to use as cleaning rags. I bought a six-pack for a few bucks in a bright hi-vis green color, which is perfect as they don't get mixed up with household stuff when I wash them. I carry at least one in my tank bag to keep wet and use for cleaning bugs off my face shield, and when they get dirty just throw into the wash and they are good to go again. On very foggy or rainy days, I can grab the cloth to wipe excess moisture off the face shield. I can use it to wipe down my saddle if it rains when I am stopped. They work perfect to polish up the rear view mirrors or the headlight. They also make great glasses cleaning cloths--I keep one next to my computer at work. And, when you go to clean your motorcycle they work excellently for their intended use too.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #129
dentedvw
Where did I put that

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
How is a hammock for the back, though? Seems counter-intuitive that after a long day's riding being curled in a hammock is ... comfortable or good for the back the next day.
For me, it's much better. I sleep in one at home, almost full time. Never found a mattress to beat it. I use an older Byer hammock, and an ENO double nest as my regular hammocks.
I might check out that walmart hammock though, interesting idea. Can't make a double sized hammock for that price myself.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #130
fruly
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Just picked up a new tarp at walmart. Not very big, 5'x7', but packs nice and small. Comes with a little bag too. Not the best quality im sure, but it's not made out of the normal cheap tarp plastic stuff. Haven't tested it yet but for $10 i though it was a good deal. Another Outdoor Products item. Bought one of thier dry bags too, pretty nice for another $10. I like how this company makes camping gear that i dont have to research for weeks because i can't stand to spend $50 on something without knowing everything about it.

Link to the tarp: http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Produ...p-5ft-x-7ft/12

Also, +1 on hammock camping. If i could hang in my apartment, I would.

Another thing, Check out Marshalls/tj maxx for your underarmor knock-off needs. I found last years...models?...for half off there or better. One particular brand called layer 8 was going for $6-$7 a shirt. I also found some $60 Nike quarterback shirts that have the built in kidney protectors for like $12.
fruly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #131
fbj913 OP
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
I feel like we need to revive this thread. What have you ADVers? Its basically winter time so I'm sure there will be lots of winter gear bought in the next few months...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #132
zeeede
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
I think I'm 205ing here, but the roll-top dry bag for under $6 in the stores is amazing.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Pr...g-20L/17017909

Both BostonRider and I used 'em bunged to our passenger seats in our tour through Quebec this summer. You can sort of see it on her bike here:

They're just a basic waterproof heavy vinyl bag with a roll-top enclosure, no compression or anything, but to stuff some extra layers and a sleeping bag in and keep 'em dry they work great, and for that price they're nearly disposable. I bought an extra one and brought it along in case one failed, but no problems. I keep that extra one in my top case now as a just-in-case thing.
zeeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #133
TRUBRIT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Knives etc

Walmart online and ship to store. Their prices seem to be half that of Gander or Bass Pro. Picked up a nice CRKT Folding Tanto for $40.00. About $80 in the above stores.
TRUBRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #134
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
You're probably doing it wrong... there's a bit of technique to sleeping in a hammock. Basically, angle yourself across the hammock a bit and you end up able to sleep "flat", not bent into the back-breaking banana shape you envision.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...p+in+a+hammock
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #135
two_wheeled
two_wheeled

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K. View Post
I found a mini cooler, fabric with a solid insert, so it was waterproof & also kept it's shape. It was about 14" X 16" X 4". It fit perfectly on it's back, on the rack of my old Concours. The strap snugged it up to the backrest, the color matched the red bike, & it just fit my camera, rain suit, & a thermal turtleneck. It cost 8.95. Used it for 9 years & still have it in the garage. Unfortunately, the new GSX is blue & I can't find it again.
+1
I had the same cooler on the rack on the back of my Concours. :) I miss that bike...
two_wheeled is offline   Reply With Quote