User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #1
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Buell LED Turn Signal/Running Light Upgrade

Just want to give a plug to Reuel Attwood (reuel.attwood@comcast.net) who made these custom LED inserts to fit the stock Buell turn signals. I am VERY happy with them.

Reule can make whatever you specify. I wanted to have running lights as well as turn signals. Reuel designed and built these boards with six "bright" LED's as running lights and three "Superbright" LED's as turn signals.

The stock Buell turn signals come apart very easily. If you just want turn signals you can simply remove the silver plastic insert from the signal and send those to Reuel. When you get them back, it'll take all of two minutes to reassemble the signals and be on your way.

If you want running lights too (like mine) it's probably best to send the entire signal to Reule so he can properly route the extra wire that will be necessary to power the running lights.

The pictures don't do them justice. They are VERY bright. The rear running lights put the stock Buell (LED) taillight to shame!

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy

TipsyMcStagger screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 03:58 PM
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,913
The same turn signals (but with amber lenses) are used on 1999-2006 Triumph Tigers.

So thanks for the tip!
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch67
The same turn signals (but with amber lenses) are used on 1999-2006 Triumph Tigers.

So thanks for the tip!
Yes! These have amber lenses too but I removed them with the LED upgrade.

I also retrofitted these signals to my previous Suzuki Bandit 1200. They are only about $10-$12 each brand new from Buell/Harley and are an easy retrofit for many bikes.

I recommend them for any type of adventure bike because they have flexible stalks and resist breaking if the bike meets the ground.

Tipsy

"There's a plane! Where there's a plane there's probably a pilot! Where there's a pilot there must be a bar! I can finally get a drink!" - Brian from Family Guy

TipsyMcStagger screwed with this post 07-26-2008 at 10:52 PM
Old 07-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
Reuel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thanks for the plug! I don't have a surface mount soldering machine--they're rather expensive. I soldered by hand, and put clear silicon sealant anywhere that circuits are exposed to make it all waterproof. No resistors for these LEDs. I use current regulators, so the LEDs stay bright even when voltage gets low.

Reuel
Reuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:50 PM   #5
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuel
Thanks for the plug! I don't have a surface mount soldering machine--they're rather expensive. I soldered by hand, and put clear silicon sealant anywhere that circuits are exposed to make it all waterproof. No resistors for these LEDs. I use current regulators, so the LEDs stay bright even when voltage gets low.
How much $?
joenuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
Bertotti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Bigger question is how long of a wait and can you upgrade the brake light to the brighter leds also? Then the question of money pops up. I'm very interested. I think I will drop you an email. Thanks for the heads up!
Bertotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertotti
Bigger question is how long of a wait and can you upgrade the brake light to the brighter leds also? Then the question of money pops up. I'm very interested. I think I will drop you an email. Thanks for the heads up!
Bertotti...after installing my LED running lights from Reuel, I immediately posted a WTB on the Buell boards trying to find a used Uly taillight so I could have that modified by Reuel too. I didn't want to remove my light and not be able to ride while it's out for modification, so that's why I was looking for another taillight.

Unfortunately, the guy who makes the Buell LED taillights (XBLights) replied to my WTB and said that the Uly taillight is sealed from the factory and the only way to remove the lens is to cut it off the base. Once you do this, there is no way to resecure the lens to the base. I suppose it could possibly be epoxied back into place, but that would likely look like crap.

Tipsy

TipsyMcStagger screwed with this post 08-03-2008 at 02:19 PM
Old 07-27-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
TREADMARKS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Unfortunately, the guy who makes the Buell LED taillights (XBLights) replied to my WTB and said that the Uly taillight is sealed from the factory and the only way to remove the lens is to cut it off the base. Once you do this, there is no way to resecure the lens to the base. I suppose it could be possibly be epoxied back into place, but that would likely look like crap.

Tipsy
I am waiting for a tail light from Rob (XBLights) as well. He had a guy starting to make lenses for the uly, but the guy had problems and left Rob hanging.

If anyone has a connection in the lense business, please let me or Rob know so we can get this back in motion. I have seen some of his tail lights and they are some bright azz lights.
TREADMARKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
rnr
Simple. Fast. Paid for.

Interesting ...

My friends complained that my Uly signals were too dim in the daylight, so I trolled over to www.newenough.com and bought these.

They are blindingly bright at night! So bright that my friend is now fearful we will attract law enforcement attention.

Daylight is fine.

Oh, and another problem: They flash fast. I think they are "fooling" the relay because they draw less juice?

And they are a solid stalk so if I get a tipover, they are done.

Any suggestions on the fast flash?

Any worries on the "too bright" factor?
rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr
...Oh, and another problem: They flash fast. I think they are "fooling" the relay because they draw less juice?

And they are a solid stalk so if I get a tipover, they are done.

Any suggestions on the fast flash?
CF13GL-02 from SuperbrightLED's is the proper replacement for the stock flasher on the Ulysses.

I have it installed on mine and the flash rate is as stock.

Tipsy

Old 07-28-2008, 05:18 AM   #11
rnr
Simple. Fast. Paid for.

thanks

typsy, you are the man.

You have a brother named Russell, by any chance?

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 AM   #12
TipsyMcStagger OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr
typsy, you are the man.

You have a brother named Russell, by any chance?
Glad to help.

No brothers, that I'm aware of :)

Tipsy

Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #13
Reuel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Hey, guys! I was charging $99, but my wife told me I better add shipping charges. I think it was about $6 or something for that, so $105 for a set of blinkers. You can get a blinker relay at your local auto parts store that will work with LEDs. I'll research the part number.

From the day you order it, I can have it back in the mail to you in about a week. That's with me ordering LEDs, regulators, etc., and assembling the units. Since I'm modifying your blinkers, if you take a long time to send me your stuff, that'll add to the time. Send me email for more details, options, etc. reuel.attwood@comcast.net

Reuel
Reuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #14
rnr
Simple. Fast. Paid for.

Nice work, Reuel

Might have to box up my old ones and upgrade them via you.

Like to have a backup plan!

Let us know the magic relay number.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #15
rnr
Simple. Fast. Paid for.

plug and play

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
CF13GL-02 from SuperbrightLED's is the proper replacement for the stock flasher on the Ulysses.

I have it installed on mine and the flash rate is as stock.

Tipsy
Typsy's right, as usual.

Just got the relay, plug and play (except had to make a little bracket for it.)

Stock flash.