ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Lomez OP
Yea...Sunday too

Oddometer: 285
V-Strom loud TICKING/TAPPING from front

been going on since I got the bike, but seems to be worse now than 5,000 miles ago.....a pretty loud metallic TAPPING noise from the front cylinder, from 2,500-4,000 RPM, when floating or decelerating. Under load, it's basically quiet. Below 2,500 rpm or above 4,000 rpm, it's basically quiet. The "tap" is in synchronicity with the motor.

Using 20/50 oil. I know the V-strom motor is based on the TL motor, which stands for "ticks loudly"; but man, this just seem excessive. I just switched to a 1/2 helmet rather than the full.....so my ears are exposed. The tapping seems so loud that it's borderline embarrassing. I feel like people hear this TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP.

Anyone else? Thoughts??
Lomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomez View Post
been going on since I got the bike, but seems to be worse now than 5,000 miles ago.....a pretty loud metallic TAPPING noise from the front cylinder, from 2,500-4,000 RPM, when floating or decelerating. Under load, it's basically quiet. Below 2,500 rpm or above 4,000 rpm, it's basically quiet. The "tap" is in synchronicity with the motor.

Using 20/50 oil. I know the V-strom motor is based on the TL motor, which stands for "ticks loudly"; but man, this just seem excessive. I just switched to a 1/2 helmet rather than the full.....so my ears are exposed. The tapping seems so loud that it's borderline embarrassing. I feel like people hear this TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP TAP.

Anyone else? Thoughts??
Valve adjustment?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #3
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 2,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomez View Post

Anyone else? Thoughts??
Check the valves at 15k. These things sound like they are going to grenade at any time.

There are few failures. I did have an 06 that broke the front cam chain at 40k...............but.................VERY rare incident, as far as my research has found.

Ride it...........and wear earplugs

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 119
Cam chain tensioner? Valve adjustment out of whack wouldn't change under load variation like you describe. Don't assume it is the front cylinder, keep an open mind about where it is coming from, noises can be tricky to pinpoint.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
SilentRay
Rebuilt

Oddometer: 573
Check valves, ear plugs, full face helmet.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
BudCAD
Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 82
Might sound funny but I've had this with my V-Strom, got worried as it sounded serious. But turned out to be the chain, after a good cleaning and proper adjustment the sound stopped. The chain was "clicking" near the front sprocket so the sound seemed to come from the engine, I could even feel it. Diagnosed it by rolling down a slope with the engine off.

BudCAD screwed with this post 01-27-2012 at 07:01 AM
BudCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
uraberg
whosaberg?

Oddometer: 700
I'm pretty confident this is your cam chain slapping around. I would have a good look at the tensioner, and the chain guides, and the chain itself.

BTW, I too had a low miles cam chain break on me, with all sorts of valve damage as a result.
uraberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 5,403
The DL1000 motor is definitely a louder motor than the 650, but if it doesn't sound normal, its worth a check for piece of mind. I would say definitely check your cam chain.

A friend with a 07 DL1000 with 25k just had to spend about $1600 after he let a lose came chain go way too far and it slapped around and beat up a bunch of stuff in the motor. A bunch of us with strom's were telling him his noises weren't normal to the 1000, but he kept riding it and wasn't until strangers started asking him what was wrong with his bike that he took notice. If you think its that loud, get it checked now.

Although its rare, it seems a few 1000's out there are having issues with the cam chain.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,527
In vest in an educated ear & you may save a lot of $.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
Lomez OP
Yea...Sunday too

Thanks folks. Didn't mention that it happens when riding and on the stand; so, it's not the drive chain. I also fairly confident it's the top of the front cylinder, as I've even used a stethoscope.....tap tap tap tap / rap rap rap rap is by far most audible from the front valve cover. Also happens clutch in in or clutch out.

Never done the valves on this bike, but they should only get quieter, not louder. Also, the fact that the noise is there only when floating or decelerating makes it not look like a valve deal. Chain seems possible.

Is there any way to check the tensioner without tearing the thing down? Manually make sure it's clicked to the next point??
Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
MarylandStrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Yes, the Strom motors are loud. But they just keep going.

You might meet up with another Strom owner or two and have them listen to it. A second set of eyes, errr ears would be a good thing.

Now if I could figure out why my Strom ticks when the front brakes are applied, I would be a happy man.
MarylandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
firstperigee
Fat Rat

Oddometer: 84
Mine Does the Same Thing

I put a basket case 1000 together. I included brand new everything except cam chain tensioner. I suspect that the noise goes away after that. I will keep you posted. The $78.00 is in the Feb. budget.
Scott.
firstperigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #13
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,376
Check the valves, if they are in spec then it's probably just normal motor noise. The chances of something major failing in a v-strom engine is remote.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Lomez OP
Yea...Sunday too

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandStrom View Post
Now if I could figure out why my Strom ticks when the front brakes are applied, I would be a happy man.
Mine too. All my mountain bikes have done it too.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
Lomez OP
Yea...Sunday too

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstperigee View Post
I put a basket case 1000 together. I included brand new everything except cam chain tensioner. I suspect that the noise goes away after that. I will keep you posted. The $78.00 is in the Feb. budget.
Scott.
So yours ticks/taps too? Where in SoCal are you?