Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #121
tpak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Not to derail but ... oh my ... was kicking back and forth between that German beast and an S10 - reading a bunch of threads here I was still up in the air but these threads have pushed me over the edge! This is gonna be fun!
tpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #122
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 326
Rear wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
My recommendation on rear wheel size Roberto? I recon go for 18x3.5" and 140 or 130/80-18 tyre.
I have 2.5" width and although it may be better for serious off road, how often will this really happen compared to the on road miles?
The 140/80 tyre is very tall on the slim rim and leaves only a couple of millimeters clearance to the swing-arm.
Got my 18" rear wheel from Woody and went to buy a tyre to fit ... had a 150-70 Heidenau in mind but the guy at the shop said that it would not fit my wheel (too wide!!!!!) so, dumb of me, went and bought a 140-70 Metzeler Enduro 3 which was excellent on the dirt roads (mining roads) ... when it is out of business I will try the Heidenau

The hose routing/ends/"T's" has been set up and just need to get them back to the brake guy to crimp and test.
Installed the double hose and works perfectly ... had to relocate the horn and the mudguard had to be lowered a bit

To prevent the front 21" tyre hitting my modified H&B bashplate when bottoming my forks I installed the Wilbers progressive springs instead of the OEM ... cannot understand why the progressives have the closer windings on top

Greg.
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #123
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,261
why are the progressive spring windings on top????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Cheers,
Roberto
ola roberto ,,,i'm in Saigon,,,relaxing in my hotel room,,,that actually has a wi-fi signal that works,,,

out of curiosity i checked this thread since i havwn't heard from alot of people in recent time,,

SALUD!!!!
you got the wheel finally,,and see that you actually have it on your bike !!!!

keep us posted with a ride report. whether the recommendations wasp- man and i have come up with work like we said...i need your feedback so i can make betterdecisions for emy future customers,,,

OBTW,,did you get your T-shirts and hat?? ,,just curious

OK,,regarding the fork spring winding and location,,,it is real simple,,weight and un-sprung weight to be more specific....you always want the least amount of weight for your suspension to work better,,so lighter wheels,,tubeless are an example AND in a progressively wound spring one end is heavier than the other,,,in this case the tightly wound soft part of the spring,, thats
's why it's on top so the lighter end is on the moving part of the shock,,,

vayas con dios amigo

senor woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #124
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

where's woody????

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONMAN View Post
GOOD LOOKING RIDE!!!!!!!!!!! It really looks like it could tackle anything now. Hope you don't mind but I plan on heading to Woody's to see about the same wheels and setup. Woody are you at the shop or still strolling around the globe? I'll be in Denver tomorrow. If you are not there who do I talk to?
been on the road all over europe with family n friends,,have been in Saigon the last few weeks just chillin in this insanely wacky monsoon ideluged place that feels like i'm. living in a steam bath on top of the biggest moped ant pile in the world
well it looks like ya found Zach my ace cohort in building what i design/come up with for you guys

i'm counting on all you guys to provide feedback,,,personally from all the test riding in every configuration,,, the 21" IMHO is a must have off-road,,,and the rear can be fine tuned to

1,,std oem 4.25x17 =for all around work biased for street

2,,3.5x17 = more off road riding

3,,2,5x18 = serious dirt riding/racing

4,,3.5x18 = all around riding biased toward dirt

the front is fairly simple

1,,std oem 2.5x19 = best all around work biased for street

2,,1.6x21 = best off road biased for hard riding/ competition

3,,1.85x21 = best all arounnd biased for off road

there ya have it

so Wasp-man and i have have a ton of R&D time invested in making our hunch that this bike would benefit greatly from the afore mentioned conversions,,,i heard your hesitation about not wanting to give up your TCS,,,ifell in love with it myself,,,well figured it out and YES it still works just fine,,so no excuses

go ride the snot out of your Superlaced wheels and let us know the results

thanks to all you trusty souls

woody
Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #125
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
been on the road all over europe with family n friends,,have been in Saigon the last few weeks just chillin in this insanely wacky monsoon ideluged place that feels like i'm. living in a steam bath on top of the biggest moped ant pile in the world
well it looks like ya found Zach my ace cohort in building what i design/come up with for you guys

i'm counting on all you guys to provide feedback,,,personally from all the test riding in every configuration,,, the 21" IMHO is a must have off-road,,,and the rear can be fine tuned to

1,,std oem 4.25x17 =for all around work biased for street

2,,3.5x17 = more off road riding

3,,2,5x18 = serious dirt riding/racing

4,,3.5x18 = all around riding biased toward dirt

the front is fairly simple

1,,std oem 2.5x19 = best all around work biased for street

2,,1.6x21 = best off road biased for hard riding/ competition

3,,1.85x21 = best all arounnd biased for off road

there ya have it

so Wasp-man and i have have a ton of R&D time invested in making our hunch that this bike would benefit greatly from the afore mentioned conversions,,,i heard your hesitation about not wanting to give up your TCS,,,ifell in love with it myself,,,well figured it out and YES it still works just fine,,so no excuses

go ride the snot out of your Superlaced wheels and let us know the results

thanks to all you trusty souls

woody
Hi Woody ... glad you are enjoying summer ... me suffering winter but enjoying Atacama desert dirt roads with your tyres ...

Just made a measurement of your rims ... front is 2.5" and is wearing a Heidenau 90-90-21, the rear is 3.25" and is wearing a Metzeler Enduro 3 140-80-18 which is just fine for all around trips ... what do you think of a Heidenau 150-70-18? ... clearances on the front and side are 5mm with the Metzeler 140-80 ... the 3.5" could be the appropiate? ... also the tube or tubeless is not important although when installing a tube tyre you have to remove the valve but can revert to tubeless.
NO shirt or stickers and NO request for dues ... need a Paypal request please before I waste my credit on other farkles ... lol
Cheers and keep yourself resting from hard work.
Roberto
Old 07-16-2012, 09:27 AM   #126
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Wow... I just realized how long it's been since I visited the forums.
I havent ridden my bike for over a month now as I have been messing around with brake lines to get the layout just right.
I have also been flat out with development work on some really exciting (paying) jobs so the days have just sort of blended into weeks.

Good to see your pics and hear you are having a ball with your bike and the wheel conversion Thagua. Keep it up mate. It's great to see the photos of brothers out riding in their own countries.

I have managed to keep in touch with Woody as he orbits the globe, so I wasnt surprised to see his posts here.
On that subject - Skype me tomorrow Woody. We're due for a bullshit session again.

As I said, I've been busy working on the layout of the brake lines and after one failed attempt, with a less than professional supplier, I finally have a production set in my greasy mits. I should have the billet distribution block that I designed to go with the whole setup in the next couple of days so I can finally fill-er-up with fluid and push a few bubbles out before getting back on the road.

I am not sure if I can remember how to ride it's been so long..

Greg.

Shows the distribution block (where the three banjo's meet) that I made temporarily out of steel. This is the one I am waiting on from my machinist.
It also shows the bulkhead fitting bracket welded on where this and the horn relocation bracket will be laser-cut and pressed "bolt-on" components before too long:

Prior to being crimped and tested. = Full A.D.R approved..
Hoses are pinned at the guard by "P"clamps and angled out from the calipers, so no tyre snag's here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #127
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Great work ...

Quote:
Wow... I just realized how long it's been since I visited the forums.
I havent ridden my bike for over a month now as I have been messing around with brake lines to get the layout just right.
I have also been flat out with development work on some really exciting (paying) jobs so the days have just sort of blended into weeks.

Good to see your pics and hear you are having a ball with your bike and the wheel conversion Thagua. Keep it up mate. It's great to see the photos of brothers out riding in their own countries.

I have managed to keep in touch with Woody as he orbits the globe, so I wasnt surprised to see his posts here.
On that subject - Skype me tomorrow Woody. We're due for a bullshit session again.

As I said, I've been busy working on the layout of the brake lines and after one failed attempt, with a less than professional supplier, I finally have a production set in my greasy mits. I should have the billet distribution block that I designed to go with the whole setup in the next couple of days so I can finally fill-er-up with fluid and push a few bubbles out before getting back on the road.

I am not sure if I can remember how to ride it's been so long..

Greg.

Shows the distribution block (where the three banjo's meet) that I made temporarily out of steel. This is the one I am waiting on from my machinist.
It also shows the bulkhead fitting bracket welded on where this and the horn relocation bracket will be laser-cut and pressed "bolt-on" components before too long:
Prior to being crimped and tested. = Full A.D.R approved..
Hoses are pinned at the guard by "P"clamps and angled out from the calipers, so no tyre snag's here
Excellent work as usual Greg ... When are having a production run and prices for the whole set:
High fender support
Brake lines with distribution block and hardware
Horn relocation bracket
My 2 cents: Put some cover on the hoses and use the OEM left support for the hose on the caliper and make a mirror of the same for the right hand.
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 07-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #128
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

not so fast with those rim sizes,,Roberto,,,

Quote:
Hi Woody ... glad you are enjoying summer ... me suffering winter but enjoying Atacama desert dirt roads with your tyres ...

Just made a measurement of your rims ... front is 2.5" and is wearing a Heidenau 90-90-21, the rear is 3.25" and is wearing a Metzeler Enduro 3 140-80-18 which is just fine for all around trips ... what do you think of a Heidenau 150-70-18? ... clearances on the front and side are 5mm with the Metzeler 140-80 ... the 3.5" could be the appropiate? ... also the tube or tubeless is not important although when installing a tube tyre you have to remove the valve but can revert to tubeless.
NO shirt or stickers and NO request for dues ... need a Paypal request please before I waste my credit on other farkles ... lol
Cheers and keep yourself resting from hard work.
Roberto
roberto,,,
for your and others edification,,,rim widths are measured on the inside bead to bead NOT overall on outside,, like you must've done to comme up with numbers like that,,,,,when in doubt ya can also see it stamped somewhere. in the outside of the rim

woody

PS,,gotta get my clowns in shipping up to speed,,uncondcionable

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 11:36 AM
Old 07-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #129
Georgios
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
I managed to get some fresh pictures yesterday of the bike in the wild (or at least out doors).
I dont think I have posted any from a decent distance with the newly painted black fork-leg protectors yet.

Hi Greg,

you have created a very nice looking bike .
What is the overall weight now, with full tank? Seems that it lost at least 20 kg.

Best regards
Georgios
Georgios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #130
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Rim sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works View Post
roberto,,,
for your and others edification,,,rim widths are measured on the inside bead to bead NOT overall on outside,, like you must've done to comme up with numbers like that,,,,,when in doubt ya can also see it stamped somewhere. in the outside of the rim

woody

PS,,gotta get my clowns in shipping up to speed,,uncondcionable
You are quite right Woody. My front is 1.85 and rear is 2.5. Which is the maximum tyre you can fit on the rear? ... 150/70 or 140/80?
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #131
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

tire sizes for 2.5x18 rear

Quote:
You are quite right Woody. My front is 1.85 and rear is 2.5. Which is the maximum tyre you can fit on the rear? ... 150/70 or 140/80?
Cheers,
Roberto
go to my website,,it has tire /rimchart for optimum combinations

roberto et al,,remember the larger the tire ,ya have to keep three things in mind,,

1,, you may have interference problems

2,, you will be raising ride height sometimes

3,, you will affect the gearing

hence,,pay attention,,and chec actual dian
meters and widths of the tires ya look at ,,THEY ALL VARY,,,sometimes considerably

woody
Old 07-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #132
Wasp OP
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Brake lines ON and finally get a ride tomorrow...

Yeeee,,,har!!

I'm guessing it might be around six weeks since I have ridden my bike and I finally got the new brake lines and 3 way billet block fitted.

I bled the brakes up tonight with the help on my son and I get a chance to test the 21"/18" combo with fresh Heidenau's.
I can do a bit of a report and some pics over in vendors on Woodies Super Tenere wheel thread tomorrow evening.

Really pleased with the way these have turned out and the super tidy look when fitted.

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #133
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Excellent

Quote:
Yeeee,,,har!!

I'm guessing it might be around six weeks since I have ridden my bike and I finally got the new brake lines and 3 way billet block fitted.

I bled the brakes up tonight with the help on my son and I get a chance to test the 21"/18" combo with fresh Heidenau's.
I can do a bit of a report and some pics over in vendors on Woodies Super Tenere wheel thread tomorrow evening.

Really pleased with the way these have turned out and the super tidy look when fitted.

Greg.
Great setup Greg ... as allways, very professional ... when are you running production on this both products to sell them through any commercial channels?
Cheers,
Roberto

PS.- Making the final adjustments to my ROC Stompa steering dampener ...
Old 07-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #134
CANNONMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Ok, Send me a set of everything on your bench asap!!
CANNONMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #135
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Steering dampener

Finally installed the stem to control the ROC Stompa steering dampener I had from my previous Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere's and Yamaha XT600 Tenere ... it was a difficult but rewarding process ... not as tidy as Greg's works but it works ... lol
Cheers,
Roberto