Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #256
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,084
Bautista's race made last years Suzuki look even better. No wonder Hopper had high praise for it. Everyone had a boner for Bautista at the end of last year after some good rides, maybe it was the bike. I don't think #58 would have been hanging about battling for 7th place on Sunday.

Another lap or two and I think we'd have seen Dani boy on top of the box.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #257
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Bautista's race made last years Suzuki look even better. No wonder Hopper had high praise for it. Everyone had a boner for Bautista at the end of last year after some good rides, maybe it was the bike. I don't think #58 would have been hanging about battling for 7th place on Sunday.

Is Bautista's bike like Simoncelli's last year where it is basically a 100% works bike again, or is it the same as what LCR is running?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #258
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
Can anyone help explain why a MotoGP race takes place in Qatar?
Because the Qataris pay a very handsome premium to have a race, which makes forbearing the absurdity at least financially worthwhile.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #259
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,483
F1 3rd tier teams in F1 are a joke, just like CRT in Moto GP. They are just filling the grid and nobody expects them to be a factor. And why have racers on the track if they are not expected to be fighting for the victory? Nobody enjoys riders circulating. I'm not saying that CRT concept is bad. It's just that the current crop of CRT bikes is not anywhere close to being competitive.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
All of the CRT bikes qualified within the 107% rule used in F1. Is their series a joke as well? Or do the rules apply differently? Seems to me that the CRTs behaved just fine. Edwards qualified within .8 of Rossi. So how long is it before a CRT qualifies above a factory bike? Not long I bet.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #260
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Is Bautista's bike like Simoncelli's last year where it is basically a 100% works bike again, or is it the same as what LCR is running?
Gresini is the only team to be running Showa suspension this year, they've been out of MotoGP for 3 years and don't have the current setup data like everyone else has. Plus he's on a single bike team basically and has no one to bounce settings off.
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #261
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
We are all excited about race for 1st, and nobody mentions CRT. I think they do not belong on a grid, what a joke. This is premier class of motorcycle racing, we do not want to watch James Elison lose 7 seconds per lap. Yes the grid appears bigger, but we all know at what cost. Fuc*ing joke.
This is no different from the 750, and the early 500 years. There were many privateer teams that were seconds behind the factory outfits. I'd rather have a fuller grid, and they'll catch up too, that's the plan. As the CRT teams learn their bike's capabilities as the season progresses, DORNA will tweak the rules a little more, maybe juggle the fuel allowance further, possibly cutting the prototypes a little more so they have to manage fuel even more, maybe weight changes, or engine allotments. It'll happen, they'll get closer, this is just the first outing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
It's a joke when there are about 300 spectators at Losail and the lighting alone is 450 million lumens.

That's called spending beyond your means.
Many places struggle to pay the MotoGP entrance fee, just like in Formula 1. The Arabs have cash to burn, they can provide the facility as required, and stroke a check, so they get a race, even if there are virtually no spectators. They don't need the paid admission fees, to cover the cost.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #262
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,477
Quote:
I'm not saying that CRT concept is bad. It's just that the current crop of CRT bikes is not anywhere close to being competitive.

D.
Not all the CRT bikes are anywhere close, but some of them ARE!

I go back again to the qual and finish of Edwards and RdP. Edwrads qual was .8 off of a factory bike that has had millions of dollars thrown at it for the last 10 months. And in the finish, Edwards was very close to catching another of the factory bikes on track. No, Pasini, Ellison and some of the others were NOT close, but some of them were.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #263
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 850
Quote:
F1 3rd tier teams in F1 are a joke, just like CRT in Moto GP. They are just filling the grid and nobody expects them to be a factor. And why have racers on the track if they are not expected to be fighting for the victory? Nobody enjoys riders circulating. I'm not saying that CRT concept is bad. It's just that the current crop of CRT bikes is not anywhere close to being competitive.

D.
I take it you missed the Malaysian Grand Prix? Those third tier teams were fighting it out mid-pack, coverage just didn't follow them.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #264
greglewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
I'm not too interested in a 10 bike grid.

There have always been, and will always be, lesser teams. At least they aren't "start and park"! This is the first race of the first year for the bikes. My guess is that they will improve quite a bit, some rules will be adjusted, and by the end of the season some will be running mid pack. They may not be much of a factor right now, but neither is Rossi.
greglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #265
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
I think they do not belong on a grid, what a joke.
Yeah, and maybe they should shoot that old horse with a broken leg.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #266
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
"If you build it, they will come"?
The teams I mean. How many facilities are there in the world that can accommodate GP, really? Even Laguna can't fit moto2 in.
I got an easy way for Laguna to "fit" moto2 in. Drop the dog and pony show AMA round they wedge into the same weekend. People didn't come to see the national series. They come to see GP racing, and Laguna Seca is doing a disservice to those fans by going cheap on the "support" races for the weekend.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #267
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
I got an easy way for Laguna to "fit" moto2 in. Drop the dog and pony show AMA round they wedge into the same weekend. People didn't come to see the national series. They come to see GP racing, and Laguna Seca is doing a disservice to those fans by going cheap on the "support" races for the weekend.
Its not that easy, All the World classes need GARAGES, the dog and pony AMA run in tents that weekend.
Believe me I want to see Moto2 and 3 over DMG but unfortunately its not gonna happen
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #268
okiegtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Get serious will you. Can you imagine the front grip problems Ducati would have with front grip in 1/6th gravity.
And Hayden would still ride around it and finish 6th or 8th.

okiegtrider screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 06:18 PM
okiegtrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #269
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post

Give Bautista a few races; it's a new bike to him. Here's a guy that has the right stuff I think. Plus he might have had a flew flashes of memory from his experience at Doha LAST year
Broken femurs are hard to forget I'm sure.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #270
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 650
So what was the reason Stoner was holding his arm for? We didn't get the press conference on commercial telly here. Did he say he just wasn't fast enough?
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote