Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
Unclescar
Refried Bean

Oddometer: 64
If all you walked away with is a bruised leg you are very lucky.

I had the same type of wreck that totaled my bike and put me in a wheel chair for 16 1/2 weeks and therapy for an additional 10 weeks with two broken legs. The difference is boots. I just had on regular boots.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #32
Kurlee OP
2009: A Bike Odyssey

Oddometer: 1,927
Went in for X rays and a CT because I've been developing a large lump on my back. I have a fracture, and the lump is filled with either spinal fluid or blood. MRI tomorrow will be able to tell more definitely.

Kurlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #33
Droptop50
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
That sucks good luck with that!
Droptop50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #34
helion42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee View Post
That's quite the lump, man. is it hard to lie down?
helion42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #35
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,779
Sorry for your delayed pain......And your unfortunate new nickname. Does your lump move, Igor?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #36
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop50 View Post
Glad you are relatively ok!

In my wreck with the guy doing the u-turn, I swerved left and just clipped the front of his truck. In talking to a retired motor cop buddy who actually studied bike/car accidents, he suggested that maybe I should have swerved Right and tried to go behind him. In my case that may have worked, or he may have saw me at the last minute, slammed his brakes and I would have hit the back of his truck.
That is good advice. In short, aim where the other vehicle was and not where its going. If you aim where its going, there's a good chance you will arrive at the same time.
As I approach vehicles who may potentially invade my space, the first place I look for an out is behind them. The space behind isnt always available but its pretty easy to find an out for a motorcycle, the thing is only 3' wide, it only takes a space 3' wide to make your escape. Try finding an out for a 9' by 70' tractor trailer.
I also fall into the category of people who feel that nearly all accidents are avoidable, it just depends on how much trouble you go to to avoid them. In this case, a classic left turner, the OP stated that the offending vehicle didnt see him because he was hidden behind another vehicle. WHY? If you find yourself hidden, you need to change your position in relation to the other vehicles. Back off, move to the other side of the lane or another lane, ect. As much as I hate riding close to other vehicles sometimes its best to move closer to the vehicle in front of you, they make nice blockers, let them cut a path through the intersection with you tucked in behind them. Sometimes its best to let the vehicle behind you close the gap a little so you both present a bigger image together. Wiggle back and forth in the lane, the human eye picks up side to side movement better than movement approaching.
It should be said that this is not directed at the OP specifically, its just meant as FWIW information.
I do teach defensive driving professionally, to professionals, so I have a bit of an investment in the subject matter.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #37
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
That is good advice. In short, aim where the other vehicle was and not where its going. If you aim where its going, there's a good chance you will arrive at the same time.
As I approach vehicles who may potentially invade my space, the first place I look for an out is behind them. The space behind isnt always available but its pretty easy to find an out for a motorcycle, the thing is only 3' wide, it only takes a space 3' wide to make your escape. Try finding an out for a 9' by 70' tractor trailer.
I also fall into the category of people who feel that nearly all accidents are avoidable, it just depends on how much trouble you go to to avoid them. In this case, a classic left turner, the OP stated that the offending vehicle didnt see him because he was hidden behind another vehicle. WHY? If you find yourself hidden, you need to change your position in relation to the other vehicles. Back off, move to the other side of the lane or another lane, ect. As much as I hate riding close to other vehicles sometimes its best to move closer to the vehicle in front of you, they make nice blockers, let them cut a path through the intersection with you tucked in behind them. Sometimes its best to let the vehicle behind you close the gap a little so you both present a bigger image together. Wiggle back and forth in the lane, the human eye picks up side to side movement better than movement approaching.
It should be said that this is not directed at the OP specifically, its just meant as FWIW information.
I do teach defensive driving professionally, to professionals, so I have a bit of an investment in the subject matter.
Where can I take your class
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
You need to take our 7 week truckdriving course, although I would love to teach our defensive driving class as a stand alone. I would also love to teach it as part of our motorcycle and drivers ed courses as well. Hopefully someday we'll be doing that, lord knows it wouldnt hurt.
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #39
Kurlee OP

Lump is going down slowly and it is no longer awkward to sit in chairs and whatnot. USAA is offering me just shy of $10K for my bike. 06 R1200GS with 13K miles and ABS I was hoping for more but I guess thats what the medical settlement is for. Lump was filled with blood btw, which is good... I guess.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #40
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurlee View Post
Lump is going down slowly and it is no longer awkward to sit in chairs and whatnot. USAA is offering me just shy of $10K for my bike. 06 R1200GS with 13K miles and ABS I was hoping for more but I guess thats what the medical settlement is for. Lump was filled with blood btw, which is good... I guess.
Is that including accessories? I recall you had close to a grand just in engine guards, skid plates light brackets, didn't you?
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #41
Kurlee OP

That was without accessories. I sent them almost $3K in receipts for what I added to the bike within the past year. They decided that $413.05 was fair. Fuck USAA.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #42
bomose
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Go ahead and get a lawyer.I tried to do it on my own and got nowhere. I had a lawyer friend call them and they gave me exactly what I asked for. Plus I got to keep the bike, an '82 Lawson Replica.
As for avoidance of wrecks, this girl crossed the center lane around a blind left (for me) turn just as I was turning in. I aimed behind her and slid the rear around to increase my angle. Otherwise, I would have hit her in the door instead of the rear quarter panel.Therefore, I went over the car instead of through it.I would have missed her except at the last second she hit the brakes. The only way I could have avoided it was to stay home, in my opinion. Or I could just walk everywhere. I have been down that road hundreds of times. Sometimes timing and fate just get you.I do believe 75% of accidents can be avoided, but far from 99%.Glad you're OK.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #43
Draechon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,140
Any update?

Draechon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #44
nwdub
Banned

Oddometer: 1,097
if you want any kind of real money please lawyer up!!!!!!
nwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #45
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
hope all goes well..I've been there and it's no fun, not to mention replaying it over and over during the night. Hope your new ( GS?) is as good as the last.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote