Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
TrailTech Reg/rect wiring on a CB/CL 350??

I know a few have run this but can't remember who. I'm finishing up my cafe project '71 CL 350 and I'm using the Trail Tech reg/rect #7003-RR150. Wiring is not my favorite thing to do. Just curious the proper way to wire it up. I'm thinking there is a wire or two that aren't used. Any help would be much appreciated.
Wildman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
I took a look at a photo of one on their website.

I couldn't find that number, but did find 7004-RR150. Maybe a later version?

The yellow ones connect to the output of your alternator, doesn't matter which wire goes where.
(assuming you only have two wires out of the alternator, Lucas alternators in british bikes have three, one is connected to one side of all 6 poles, and one connects to the other side of four poles, and the third wire connects to the other side of the remaining two, and for this type of system, you have to know which two wires to tie together to get all 6 poles hooked up parallel)

It's safe to assume that the black wire connects to ground, and the red wire connects to the positive terminal on your battery, which would then have a feed going out to the lights, ignition, etc.

The yellow/red wire could probably be capped with an insulator and ignored. It may be a secondary +12v feed.
Didn't you get instructions with it?

caponerd screwed with this post 04-05-2012 at 10:32 AM
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caponerd View Post
I took a look at a photo of one on their website.

I couldn't find that number, but did find 7004-RR150. Maybe a later version?

The yellow ones connect to the output of your alternator, doesn't matter which wire goes where.
(assuming you only have two wires out of the alternator, Lucas alternators in british bikes have three, one is connected to one side of all 6 poles, and one connects to the other side of four poles, and the third wire connects to the other side of the remaining two, and for this type of system, you have to know which two wires to tie together to get all 6 poles hooked up parallel)

It's safe to assume that the black wire connects to ground, and the red wire connects to the positive terminal on your battery, which would then have a feed going out to the lights, ignition, etc.

The yellow/red wire could probably be capped with an insulator and ignored. It may be a secondary +12v feed.
Didn't you get instructions with it?

Thanks! Mine actually has 2 yellow, 1 blue, 1 black, & 1 red wire. I belive the red goes to + and black to -, someone told me the blue doesn't get hooked to anything in my application and the 2 yellow go to the Pink and white wires from the stator. Where I'm getting confused is I'm looking at the plug and the wires that plug into the old rectifier & regulator and wandering what to do there because there is no white wire up there and I belive the old regulator has a green, yellow, and black wire. Am I over complicating this and all the other wires just get capped off?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman1971 View Post
Thanks! Mine actually has 2 yellow, 1 blue, 1 black, & 1 red wire. I belive the red goes to + and black to -, someone told me the blue doesn't get hooked to anything in my application and the 2 yellow go to the Pink and white wires from the stator. Where I'm getting confused is I'm looking at the plug and the wires that plug into the old rectifier & regulator and wandering what to do there because there is no white wire up there and I belive the old regulator has a green, yellow, and black wire. Am I over complicating this and all the other wires just get capped off?
Are there only the two wires coming from your stator? If so, then you have nothing to worry about there, just connect each one to a yellow wire in the rect/reg unit. The red and black wires are best connected direct to the battery.
Is the plug you refer to part of the bike's wiring harness, or part of the Trail Tech unit? If it's part of the bike's wiring harness, just connect it to whatever it was originally connected to, it may have some wires that are essential for distribution of power to some system on the bike.
If it's part of the rect/regulator, you'll have to adapt it to fit the connections on the bike.
Whenever I replace one of those, I simply remove whatever connectors came with the unit, and install whatever type of connectors the bike requires for each wire (typically, either spade or bullet). Those multi-wire plugs can be dissasembled if you're careful, and new connectors inserted to allow you to use the original plug with no alteration to the factory wiring harness.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Wildman1971 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's what I have. The big white plug. Of coarse I'm showing the wiring harness side of the plug but is the same on the other. This mess is what I found when unraveling the tape. Going to doctor that all up tomorrow. There's a pink, white, yellow, green/red, that come off the engine See pic:

I'm guessing the green, Yellow, & black are what went to the old regulator which won't be used any longer(???), the green/yellow goes to brake switch.
Now here's the other plug that the original rectifier plugged to that has the yellow, pink, green, and red wires. See pic:

Where I think I'm getting hung up is weather I hook the yellow wires from the new unit to the pink & yellow on that top plug or down where the wires come out of the engine from the stator.
I hope that jibberish all made sence. Let me know.