Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Are your BMW Side and top luggage cases water tight?

I just bought an 08 GSA and was told by the previous owner that the BMW Side Luggage is not water tight and that this was common with all the luggage. Is this right? My last BMW had Jesse Luggage and I don't remember it letting any water in, but then again I don't think I ever rode through any rain storms either. If this is the way it is what do you use for Dry bags for the side and top cases that fit the bags. Thanks. Pic of my bike in my garage..

lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Paul Mihalka
Old Fart

Oddometer: 877
My retirement job now for over 25 years is selling BMW bikes. When a customer asks me if the bags are waterproof, I tell them that you ride at 75 mph. That's hurricane speed. Nothing is waterproof in a hurricane.
Paul Mihalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
NJ-GS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Put all your stuff in a big plastic garbage bag, seal it, then put it in your panniers. No wet, and it's easy to unpack and repack.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 829
I have an 08 GSA with the OEM side cases...I've ridden in many rain storms and I've never had water inside the cases. And that's even with the left one being all dented (on the bottom edge and corners) from a few off pavement spills. That being said, I always use ziplock bags or trash bags if there's anything in there I really want to make sure stays dry.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
My retirement job now for over 25 years is selling BMW bikes. When a customer asks me if the bags are waterproof, I tell them that you ride at 75 mph. That's hurricane speed. Nothing is waterproof in a hurricane.
Guess you haven't had any Pelican or Strom cases?

No the BMW bags are nowhere near waterproof, worst made "Adventure" luggage money can buy. My Jesses, Happy Trails, Zegas and Pelicans were all waterproof. The Pelicans are by far the best. Even the Varios I had kept water out better than the BMW Adventure panniers. BMW sells expensive dry bags to keep your stuff dry in their leaky panniers.

The Micatech's I had leaked like crazy too and fell apart.

Yes I've owned most of the panniers and had all of them mounted on some form of BMW.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #6
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
I am really happy with my BMW ADV bags. They made Tierra Del Fuego and back without a leak or a problem. I get the impression those bad mouthing them have not used them. Yes the Jesse's are more robust, but they are a lot heavier. My friend had to reweld the frame mounts to his 1200 GS Jesse bags in Ushuaia. Dave
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
objectuser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
I've ridden for hours on end with my Givi bags in the rain and not a drop of water gets inside. I'm expecting the same with my Vario cases.
objectuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Namecheck
Like a Sir!

Oddometer: 114
Yes

My Touratech panniers are absolutely waterproof. I've had them through the ringer and they never let water in, and I never have to double anything up in plastic bags.
Namecheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
darrendeep6
BMW Dirty Dozen

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-GS View Post
Put all your stuff in a big plastic garbage bag, seal it, then put it in your panniers. No wet, and it's easy to unpack and repack.
A better variation of that theme is trash compactor bags. They're smaller and more durable. My bags have remained dry, I don't know how as the lids have very little tension when you latch them. Anything that can't get wet gets put in a bag YMMV.
darrendeep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
klondike1
Nobody in particular

Oddometer: 453
My case came with a heavy soft waterproof bag that fits in. Great since if away on vacation just open the case and take out the bag with straps and away you go. case themselves are not but the bags are very waterproof.
2007 BMW F800ST(Blue Boy)
www.danieljenkins.ca
klondike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Jazz62
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Sorry to hijack but, what are those aux lights on the top side of your light bar?
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:11 AM   #12
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,637
It's a total flip of the coin on when and if my GSA OEM sidecases leak during a rain ride. One ride they're both watertight, the next they both leak (an inch or so of water in the bottom after a couple of hundred miles), and the next time one's dry while the other leaks. I've sealed all of the rivet points on the inside with a dab of silicon, so any leakage occurs from the lid/box junction. Although it seems the problem may be the way I'm closing them, I do it the same careful way each time. Even standing on one foot while using threatening language hasn't helped. I've just learned to keep garbage bags handy during a cross country trip.

On the other hand my relatively inexpensive, old and beat-up Givi topbox has never allowed one drop of water inside.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #13
stin987
R1200GSA

Oddometer: 211
no leaks here

When I got my bike I took the cases off and sprayed them with high pressure water, did leak 1 drop. I then filled them with water and flipped over. They are sealed so tight that they did not let the water out either. I've ridden in the rain also and still not leaks.

Long story short. I've never had my bmw adv. cases leak. All 3 of them.
stin987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 AM   #14
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Try lubricating the gasket with a silicone grease. This will help make them watertight.

I use a Honda product called Shin-Etsu grease. Honda P/N 08798-9013
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
mattjw916
never wears lip balm

Oddometer: 310
No problems with the Vario cases here either. Been through some pretty serious storms with them.