Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #16
Sanders
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 662
Mine are tight ass a frogs Ass. I thought they leaked when new, but found that when you wash the bike on a hot day the the air temp inside the box cools and the water condenses out. You'll know when this happens as the pannier is difficult to open and then when it does you'll get the "whoooosh" as the vacuum breaks.

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #17
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracky72 View Post
Try lubricating the gasket with a silicone grease. This will help make them watertight.

I use a Honda product called Shin-Etsu grease. Honda P/N 08798-9013
I just searched out and bookmarked the Shin-Etsu Website so that I can legitimately tell people that I'm a follower of Shin-Etsu. Should come in handy when the campfire discussions turn to religion.

Thanks!

My GSA cases leak a tiny bit at highway+ speeds in heavy, heavy rain.

Chris

Land screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 07:30 AM
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mihalka View Post
My retirement job now for over 25 years is selling BMW bikes. When a customer asks me if the bags are waterproof, I tell them that you ride at 75 mph. That's hurricane speed. Nothing is waterproof in a hurricane.

That's a good one, I had the vario's for a few years and they were waterproof. I have micatechs for going on 5 years and they haven't leaked a drop yet.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #19
rebelpacket
four-stroke earth-saw

Oddometer: 725
Quite strange.

I have a 2000 1150GS with ancient, used (and often overstuffed) system cases. Ridden through plenty of rainstorms. Never had any wet items.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM   #20
a1atcs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Heavy Rain and highway speeds my right BMW pannier leaks, but the one on the left doesn't.
IBA #49425
a1atcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
SkiFly01
Govna Racepipe

Oddometer: 591
I found when I first had the GSA with the ADV cases they were bone dry no matter what, but I think we as BMW owners tend to abuse them and stuff the cases which deforms them and that affects the seals. I would get the air temp change whoosh when opening the cases. After a while they would leak, but I did some tinkering and pushing on the cases and got them to seal back up again, there were some areas that were bulged out from stuffing crap into them.
SkiFly01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,297
No

They are not. I own then and have ridden 20K plus with them. Not a lot gets in there, but it does none the less. Mine have been well taken care of. Never down, Never abused. They leak. Had Jessies before..............wish I had them now. THEY do not leak. Even in a hurricane :)
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
Ducmonza
boob

Oddometer: 63
Pissed

I'll tell you...the "System Cases," leak like a hole in the Titanic. I can't wait to get a good Pelican set.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #24
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
Sorry to hijack but, what are those aux lights on the top side of your light bar?
XVision LED's
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,965
Mine are watertight at 70+ but they do get condensation when it's really cold out...

To the comment that no bags are... My harley hard bags have always been water tight and have never had a water intrustion issue whatsoever. I'm newer to the GS world, but these bags have stayed dry in a lot of heavy rain... wish I would have tested before stressing and buying expensive liners just for this purpose.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I just bought an 08 GSA and was told by the previous owner that the BMW Side Luggage is not water tight and that this was common with all the luggage. Is this right?
I have the BMW vario luggage, sides and topcase, on my '05 R12GS. Completely water tight. I've ridden through some real frog drowners down here in the lower 48 as well as up in Alaska. I've used them for beer coolers. Never a leak.
2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:15 AM   #27
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 127
I have the original aluminium BMW cases. The first set lasted from 2007-2010. They didn't leak a drop. In 2010 I fell of a mountainside and one was dented seriously. The dealer repaired it and it was almost dry again. Last year a fellow rider hit me from behind, removing the same case from my bike, which subsequently fell over on the other side. So his insurance plaid me two new cases. Those are now 15k km old and don't leak a drop. The top case still dates back to 2007 and doesn't leak either.
I have several friends with the same cases, no complaints there either.

So I guess some might leak and after dropping a bike on the case, they are next to impossible to repair, but I'm happy with them.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:14 PM   #28
BeamingBeagle
n00btube

Oddometer: 87
leaky bags

If you can't figure a way to completely seal 'em why not try something on the outside to divert water away from the seam? Like a piece of rubber or something?
BeamingBeagle is offline   Reply With Quote