User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
stainlesscycle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
school me on atf.

i'm most interested in the viscosity and overall properties - atf, +4 +f, dexron, mercon, etc. is the difference just friction modifiers? i'm well aware of usage per recommended in owners manual for cars/trucks -i own a dodge :) . i'm more interested in which works best in clutches/transmissions for 2t bikes.....modern and vintage.. i'm already using atf+f in some bikes, and it works fine, just wondering if there is a 'best' formulation.... and any drawbacks to using atf? it's dirt cheap - i switched from amsoil 0w-40 in my gasgas to atf, and it's working great so far. i'm changing atf every 2-3 hours, so i'm most interested in what works best during this limited (albeit difficult) lifespan..
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more

stainlesscycle screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 06:50 AM
stainlesscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,218
I have no idea.

Do know the early ATF had whale oil in it, my guess is 15%.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
kpt4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,671
ATF is a fluid for automatic transmissions.

If your bike has an automatic transmission, it may be a good choice.
kpt4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #4
stainlesscycle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321 View Post
ATF is a fluid for automatic transmissions.

If your bike has an automatic transmission, it may be a good choice.
thanks for the advice.
07 gasgas xc300-94 duc 900ss-86 morini camel (2)-84 IT200-83 IT175-78 guzzi lm1-77 pursang 250-76 morini 3 1/2 strada-76 frankentaco pursang 200-74 frankentaco pursang 200-74 morini 3 1/2 sport-74 mz ts250/0-74 puch 175 (3)-73 can-am 175tnt-71 guzzi frankeneldo-71 ossa Stiletto-70 frankentaco sherpa s(2)-66 morini corsarino(2)-63 morini corsaro + many more
Old 04-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #5
Gamble
b00b

Oddometer: 7
No idea sorry, but did you know ATF makes a good substitute for seafoam (only sucking through a vacuum line, don't add it to oil or gas)
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
AFT is used in some automobile manual transmissions. The 6-speed Getrag
transmission used in the Ford Focus SVT uses ATF. It's used in '00-04 Honda
Insight manual transmissions as a substitute for the expensive "special" stuff
from Honda (it's in my Insight tranny)

Many threads on the 'net about ATF in manual trannys, here's one:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=69574

But all oil and it usage is very specialized, and switching around can be risky,
such as with which type ATF goes in which type automatic transmission......
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
No idea sorry, but did you know ATF makes a good substitute for seafoam (only sucking through a vacuum line, don't add it to oil or gas)
The active ingredient in Seafoam is Naptha, a powerful solvent, also used in paint stripper.
(the rest of Seafoam is light oil and alcohol ) Some folks make their own; just buy Naptha,
and add a little oil and alcohol.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
i surely wouldnt run it instead of motor oil! it is the highest detergent and additive fluid used in vehicles, im in the auto trans business and your asking for trouble. its expansion is much higher than oil, overpressuration, check your oil(atf) cold, then hot. theres going to be a big difference. the detergents will suspend the dirt and crap in the oil and "lubricate" your internals with it. detergent oils are great for element type filter because it suspends the dirt and its captured by the element, with no element your speeding up wear. a if your gearbox is seperate, im interested in how long its going to last. atf will seriously shorten the life of the insight cvt trans. if your bike calls for a non detergent oil in the gearbox, atf will kill it.
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
stainlesscycle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC View Post
i surely wouldnt run it instead of motor oil! it is the highest detergent and additive fluid used in vehicles, im in the auto trans business and your asking for trouble. its expansion is much higher than oil, overpressuration, check your oil(atf) cold, then hot. theres going to be a big difference. the detergents will suspend the dirt and crap in the oil and "lubricate" your internals with it. detergent oils are great for element type filter because it suspends the dirt and its captured by the element, with no element your speeding up wear. a if your gearbox is seperate, im interested in how long its going to last. atf will seriously shorten the life of the insight cvt trans. if your bike calls for a non detergent oil in the gearbox, atf will kill it.
2 stroke gearbox. what does the insight cvt trans have to do with it? expansion, and overpressurization have no effect (that i know of) in 2 stroke trans - never vented any off, it's all splash lubrication in vented trans. i doubt detergents have any effect either. no filter. none of this relevant. i'm more interested in effect on clutches. maybe shock issues with the dogs - but i doubt that's an issue.

maybe i didn't stress it enough. 2 stroke
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,870
One of the R&D guys I worked with years ago told me ATF is either basically pressure or friction fluid depending if its Type F or Dex,cant recall which was which though. Seems lots of guys run Dex or 10/40 in their HD primaries with good results,maybe their closest in viscosity etc. As automatics got more and more shitty (thanks big three) newer more synthetic based stuff was needed to prevent cratering. Dex IV probably would not be good in a wet clutch application but who knows. Maybe Bobs the oil guy has some good info to read up on.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
gloud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
I would not use it due to being too thin a Viscosity. (Your application may vary if newer bikes want thinner oil) Unless you are running the bikes in the winter (and I have with regular weight oil with no bad effects) I would run the recommended weight oil from the manufacturer . Been doing it that way for 30 years with No transmission failures. I do tend to change it often and when I was racing MX I used to change after every race weekend.

I am curious What is your reasoning to go to ATF in the trans? (forks I understand ) Edumacate me please.
gloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #12
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,679
Actually, the high detergent is sort of a myth. You can do a simple experiment, get your hands dirty and wash with clean motor oil, makes them squeaky clean. ATF not so much. Transmission stay clean because they are not burning fuel.

Sediment and sludge do not stay suspended in transmission fluid, they drop out on the bottom of the pan, this does not happen with motor oil.

Transmission fluid does have lots of additives for extreme pressure, if used in the engine it can poison the catalytic converter. It has additives for varnish, and health of valve bodies. But pretty low levels of buffers for acids from combustion and things so if it is burned it does not stick rings. This is why you should not use it for a seafoam substitute or in the crankcase.

As far as in a MC transmission and wet clutch. Type F has the most abrupt clutch action. Chrysler ATF+ is much more gentle. Dexron in between. The new Dexron 6 is much lower viscosity, and syn. About affecting other things, some atf will attack some metals parts, and can delaminate some types of frictions. so you kind of have to know what is in the transmission. Best to use what they recommend.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,979
Well ATF doesn't have the load carrying capacity for my taste but here goes. Synthetic ATF has a viscosity of 7.5 in cSt @ 100*C making it about a 17 WT in the motor oil grade and in between 75W and 80W in gear oil grading. It has additives that prevent foaming due to it's use as a hydraulic fluid. It has a virgin TBN of 2.2 which means little in it's normal use. It does have a good bit of acid reducing additives and does a good job of dissipating heat. I know many who use ATF for suspension fluid,gear lube and even cleaning parts. All of them using it successfully as far as I know. You're on your own.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
PTC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
i know almost nothing about two strokes. that said, this is just an example to ponder: if a designated gear oil expands 15 percent. an atf may expand 35%, overpresurizing the gearbox and pushing past seals. as far as clutches are concerned, most cellulose (paper) clutches will respond fine with dex,merc fluids, plus 4 was introduced to prevent chatter in the tcc clutch, band and clutch drums. its more slippery, as are most late model fluids because the clutches are pulsed and slipped on at earlier than acceptable times to increase economy. so now im thinking a typical bikes clutch being operator contolled, if its not chattering or slipping during apply and release, a plus 4 fluid may actually do a better job of lubricating the hard parts. i jumped at my 1st reply but now thinking about it, if your changing it that often you might be on to something good? wednesday im going to ask a friend who is a hydraulic engineer for catipillar what he thinks. interesting...
PTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #15
stainlesscycle OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud View Post
I am curious What is your reasoning to go to ATF in the trans? (forks I understand ) Edumacate me please.
with atf i've found clutch engagement to be more progressive, and less dragging clutches...and they seem to shift easier/smoother.

i know many many people use atf in 2t, just wondering if there was any real world drawbacks. never heard of any clutch failures or trans failures due to atf in gearbox.

as for atf in forks, i never use it on dirt - street sometimes..