Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #331
blk-betty OP
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran69 View Post
And these kind of question IMHO should be asked to those that fell down and lived to tell......do they think is overrated.....

Ok fair enough. I started this thread and asked the question.

Yes, yes I have been down on the street, twice. I'm not ATGATT, mostly MTGATT but sometimes I choose little gear.

Both times I went down were slow speed, 10 mph. Riding gear at the time....shorts, tennis shoes, no gloves, t-shirt, no jacket, no helmet.

First time got a little road rash on my calf, second time a raspberry on my shoulder. Head/face never touched the ground. Was I lucky....absolutely and I know it.

However, both times I went down I was riding in a way that I should not have been and the drops were my fault and 100% preventable. I have learned from those experiences and don't do near as many stupid things as I use to. Still, I definalty ride more aggressivley when fully geared up and take more chances than when riding with little gear.

Point is I know and understand the risks and I make my own choices.

FWIW, I'm single with no kids so if I got significantly injured there is no one who "depends" on me that would be affected. And I carry health insurance and disability insurance.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #332
ShadySmurf
Does Own Stunts

Oddometer: 540
I high sided a little over a year ago, somewhere around 55 mph. I ended up in a ditch smashed up against a culvert that a car had crashed into off the same corner. If I hadn't of had all my gear on, I'm pretty sure I would be dead, or at the very least more screwed up in the head then I already was, and missing my left arm. As it was, through the impact armor which met the jagged culvert, I ended up with stitches on my elbow.

That crash was completely 100% my fault and preventable, but it still happened.

My brother in law was hit from behind on a freeway off-ramp by a texting while driving female. He was wearing a cheap Korean helmet, t-shirt, and sneakers. He ended up getting medevaced, in the hospital for 3 months, almost lost his leg/life.

Sure AGATT may be over rated in crashes below 10 mph, but those are the lucky ones, and can still kill you. If the argument is to ride less than 10 mph all the time...

I agree ATGATT can be a pain and is a personal choice. Most people that preach it have either had a friend seriously hurt/killed, or seen first hand what happens.

Personally, I know it saved my ass, so yeah, not overrated to me.
ShadySmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #333
Vanishing Point
A very sad panda

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerIsGood View Post
Must have been assless chaps.
Damn near an assless chap.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #334
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Read my signature line. I'm in the ATGATT camp.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #335
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 111
Peer Pressure Overcomes Judgement

I went on a ride last weekend. Early morning start because it's so effing hot here now. There were 4 of us - 2 guys riding DS bikes (me and a bloke from Scotland), and 2 guys riding Harley's (one from London, one from Wales...it was regular UK Convention).

Me and the Scotsman are in full gear - full face helmets, armored jackets and pants, good boots, gloves. The Harley guys are in open face helmets with Sunglasses, jackets, jeans, decent boots.

We had good ride just tooling down the coast and back inland. We stopped off for tea and biscuits at the Welsh guy's villa. Nice chat. Suddenly he pops up and announces he's got another ride and he has to go. He goes to get dressed, comes out a few minutes later. Now it's a tee shirt, leather vest with club logo, bandanna on the head, and a mean looking matte black helmet, open faced again.

We leave with him, ride for a few minutes together, and wave goodbye, as he motors off for his pirate gathering. Now this Welsh guy, he's a Health and Safety Manager at a major public utility, responsible for policies, procedures and training all designed to reduce risks and keep people alive and healthy. But when it comes to riding with the Harley club, all that reasoned perspective evaporates in the desert sun.

When my son was about 10 years old, I developed a theory based on observing the behavior of groups of boys. It's called the Knucklehead Theory, and goes like this:
The collective intelligence of a group of boys is proportional to the inverse square of the number of boys in the group.
Hence, one boy has the intelligence of one boy. But 4 boys collectively display the intelligence of 1/4 of a boy. And when you get a bigger group together, like a Cub Scout Pack, there really isn't any measurable intelligence left in the group.

I suppose I could research the Harley group hear to see if they fit the Knucklehead Theory, but they won't let me close. I'm wearing the wrong gear!
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 AM   #336
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixdoglover View Post
When my son was about 10 years old, I developed a theory based on observing the behavior of groups of boys. It's called the Knucklehead Theory, and goes like this:
The collective intelligence of a group of boys is proportional to the inverse square of the number of boys in the group.
Hence, one boy has the intelligence of one boy. But 4 boys collectively display the intelligence of 1/4 of a boy. And when you get a bigger group together, like a Cub Scout Pack, there really isn't any measurable intelligence left in the group.

I suppose I could research the Harley group hear to see if they fit the Knucklehead Theory, but they won't let me close. I'm wearing the wrong gear!
Awesome, and also true of the over 40 boys as well!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #337
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuzz View Post
hmmm .. where's the stats about assless chaps?

Some leather on the legs has got to be better than none ...
Well... in Homeboy's case there, his legs didn't seem to be injured, but he definitely is missing some leather on his ass!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #338
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,512
This debate about ATGATT again, just rephrased. "Is it over-rated? Do I really need it?" and so on and so forth. Here's my take on it, a re-post of one I made over in Hacks:

The question is always the same: Do I really need it?

The answer is very simple. No. You don't need it.....UNTIL you need it.

Whether you ride a motorcycle, hack, or scooter, when you hit the ground and your uprotected skin faces off against the asphalt, the coefficient of friction between unprotected skin and asphalt remains the same.

The asphalt wins. Everytime.

I respect that it is a personal decision for each rider. I get that, really. Nobody likes to be told what to do or how to do it. For alot of folks, this discussion really raises the old hackles and the debate begins. Alot of emotional responses follow.

But in the end, it comes down to choices. Ride your own ride, make your own choices.

But, each rider should also be prepared to accept responsibility for their own actions, and face the consequences of those decisions.

For me, it sort of comes down to the old "For want of a nail..." scenario. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

A big part of my world in aviation is risk management. We know and accept there are inherent risks in what we do. We take the proper steps to reduce and hopefully eliminate those risks. I approach riding the same way.

But we know the risk is always there. The most effective tool we have is situational awareness, and not becoming complacent.

Complacency kills more effectively than even the most clueless, texting idiot in a car.

We also make sure we have the proper gear, because that gear might help give us the edge we need to survive if and when things go all pear-shaped.

In the end, we make our choices and take our chances.

Whatever I ride or may ride, I choose to do what I can to lessen the risks. Others choose differently.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #339
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,794
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #340
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
For me, it sort of comes down to the old "For want of a nail..." scenario. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:52 AM   #341
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
That is fucking awesome cool. Fuck safety, just buy it for the looks.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #342
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,194
ATGATT all the time. Only exception is going to a softball game. Then I don't wear riding pants or boots. Only have on my game pants and cleats.

Now that I think about all the drinking done by the players in earlier games, this may not be a good choice. Overpants and boots from now on. Cleats go in the bat bag.

Got to set a good example for the younguns on the team that just got bikes. Already have got them to take the MSF course and to wear a helmet 100% of the time. Working on the other gear.

J
2000RSV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #343
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
For Want of a Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe the horse was lost.
For want of a horse the rider was lost.
For want of a rider the message was lost.
For want of a message the battle was lost.
For want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
And all for the want of a horseshoe nail.

I think the nail is in my tire!

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Dirt Road Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #344
Iron Horse
I Make Shit Up

Oddometer: 9,110
Wear whatever the hell you want. I don't GOS. But I think if you have family and loved ones, you're a selfish prick if you don't do what you can to protect yourself.

Except for the Tron fan suit. Not only does it look "I live with my mom" but it's probably a good way to have drunks and debutantes target fixate on your ass.

Now, wheres my coffee?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #345
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadySmurf View Post

I agree ATGATT can be a pain and is a personal choice. Most people that preach it have either had a friend seriously hurt/killed, or seen first hand what happens.

Personally, I know it saved my ass, so yeah, not overrated to me.

I look at putting on the gear the same as getting the bike being ready to go. Gas, oil, tires.

The only exception is jeans on bike nite. 10 miles up and back and home by 8:00 pm.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote