Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #61
Celtic Curmudgeon
Indiana Jones wanabe

Oddometer: 274
Wearing gear is a great idea, no one's debating that. So is advocating or encouraging other riders to wear more gear. However, I'm not sure I want a situation where ATGATT becomes the default no-tolerance standard. Be careful what you wish for.

"Sir, you're boots don't come all the way over your calves, so here's a ticket. BTW, you didn't zip your jacket and pants together so press hard, it's three copies. No neck brace? That's a year suspension. We're also impounding your bike, since I can't allow you to ride home without ATG. "

Think that can't happen? How about insurance companies refusing to insure you or pay a claim unless you prove to them you have and wear, every conceivable piece of protective gear available. It's a handy way for the Safetycrats to legislate motorcycling out of existence.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #62
SuperGlueRyan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I wear a First gear TPG Rainer jacket and TPG Escape pants, FXRG4 boots, A* GPX gloves and a decent full face helmet. On rare occation I'll go without the pants. I wear them because it makes me for confident in congested traffic, loose surfaces (gravel etc) and more spirited twisty runs. I feel that it is my responsibility to as part of a community to wear it as well, if a trauma unit has to take time for me then that may be taking their attention for someone else who may not have been able to mitigate their injuries.

I believe that it's up to the rider to decide how they dress for riding. The reason that I cringe when I see ungeared riders is because it has been my experience that most of them don't understand what gear really does and the risk associated with not using it. If someone knows and accepts the risk, then that is their deal. Someone that is new to riding or rides very little (10 year old garage queens with 3k miles anyone?) and thinks that "gear looks lame" or doesn't wear it because it covers up their rebel spirit is an idiot. For example, an aquaintance of mine bought a GSXR600 as her first bike, because 600cc isn't much, right? She plans on riding in a tank top, shorts, gym shoes, and a helmet (only because it is required by law.) Her reasoning is that she thinks that gear looks dumb and is too bulky; that is dumb. I'm going to keep working with her so that she doesn't become another squid statistic. How many experienced riders would give her the "ride how you want" advice? If she -knew- the risks and still chose to dress that way, then it wouldn't be my place to say anything.

My view on it is that most people that ride without gear just don't know any better; maybe I just have too much faith in my fellow man. The idiots that go without to rebel against "The Man" are the worst.
SuperGlueRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #63
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
For me it's simple. I was an EMT for almost 6 years before I started riding. I've seen full foot evulsions, degloving of hands, feet and penises, compound long bone fractures, shattered jaws, orbits and cheekbones. Not to mention scrubbed mud and gravel out of road rash that covered 2/3rds of a patient's body.

I've been done twice now and the worst injury I suffered was pulling some of the secondary muscles in my chest. ATGATT for me is armored textile jacket, pants, riding boots, full gauntlet gloves, modular or FF helmet and earplugs. My winter gear is olympia AST2 + first gear H/T over pants. Both warm and waterproof when it's cold and wet and with the vents open comfortable until it hits about 75-80. At that point I switch over to a pair of tourmaster Air pants and a first gear Venture jacket (textile with mesh stretch panels). I've been thinking about replacing these stuff with Olympia Moab and First Gear H/T Mesh though. Where I live it doesn't get very humid, I can escape the heat by heading up the peninsula or staying on the ocean side of the mountains. Yeah there have been a few days were riding over to a friend's place or meeting someone sucked because it was 90+ and even with a full set of knock off underarmor on under my riding gear I was still hot anytime I came to a stop at a light/sign.

I don't own a car by choice, so I suck it up and deal with it. At the end of the day I'd rather trade a little discomfort during a very small part of the year for the level of protection good riding gear offers. If I could have afforded it or if it was practical I'd probably where more leather. In the end I found that good, properly fitted textiles offer the same level of protection for street riding conditions as a race suit and are way easier to deal with.
Right now since the weather has been sunny but chilling after several weeks of rain the squids are out in force. I started laugh when I guy on a GSXR pulled up beside me at a light yesterday in a hoodie and sweat pants then started shivering while I was quite comfortable.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,321
For me it's ATGATT on two wheels, but I'll often doff the riding pants for jeans when taking the sidecar rig.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #65
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
ATGATT/ Hi viz helmet/jacket/pants with a run flat car tire on back.....yeah I don't fuck around with safety, or am I cancelling out some of the ATGATT?

Sumo64c screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 02:19 PM Reason: Forgot the hi viz omg!
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #66
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
ATGATT with a run flat car tire on back.....yeah I don't fuck around with safety, or am I cancelling out some of the ATGATT?

Thanks for taking this thread in an entirely new direction...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #67
Dcc46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Wear whatever you want, it's your life. Who gives a shit what anyone else thinks.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #68
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post

Thanks for taking this thread in an entirely new direction...

Not trolling the dark side angle, I do run it because of the run flat, however it's not ATGATT related. My bad.
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #69
Ceemack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
If you think riding a motorcycle is dangerous then you shouldn't be riding.
No offense, Dakez, but I think you got that one backwards. In my book, if you don't think riding a motorcycle is dangerous, then you shouldn't be riding.

Because if you're not aware of the dangers and constantly working to avoid them, you're just an organ donor who's been slightly delayed on his way to the hospital.
Ceemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #70
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Typically the more knowledgeable you are about riding skills, the more inclined you are to wear full gear!

It's the people that "think" they know how to ride that also "think" bad stuff won't happen to them

Nobody ever killed in a motorcycle accident has been killed in one before!
So the past 49 (soon to be 50) years of riding/racing (including 14 landspeed records and a few offroad and pavement trophies)are null because of what you "think"? I'd wager that your response required little thought. Do what you please and I'll continue the path I've successfully chosen.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #71
Dan-M
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Couldn't we talk about something civil, like tires, oil and condoms instead?

At least one of those has a potential happy ending...

+1 on safe riding apparrel.
Aren't condoms ATGATT? Is there more gear to wear for that activity that I'm not aware of?

For riding I wear full gear except for when I commute to work. On my 5 mile commute I still wear helmet, jacket & gloves but generally wear jeans and work boots. It is just a risk I decide to take.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #72
SlipChip
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,144
Wear what you want...

I have to admit, however, to being predjudiced against those who don't at least wear helmet, boots and gloves. I figure they are just kind of stupid as these are the most likey and vulnerable appendages to be injured badly even in a low speed crash. which is all too likely to happen at some point considering even the everyday obstacles that we confront.

But, like I say, everyone is perfectly entitled to make their own choices that suit them at the time. I choose to ride mostly ATGATT, usually this is in my 2 piece 'stich with FF, gauntlets and touring boots. Occasionally, when it is hot, I will wear shorty gloves, open as many zippers as possible and even skip the pants. If I lived down south again I would probably modify this with some sort of mesh suit.

Over all? Big Deal, Who Cares, I certainly don't care what I look like to the average Joe Fabeetz riding his Hardley or clone, wearing T-shirt, shorts and sandals. HE looks ridiculous!

P.S. What's with all thehiking boots

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch

SlipChip screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 03:29 PM
SlipChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #73
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post

How many of you guys wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME you ride a bike, and if you don't wear ALL the gear EVERY SINGLE TIME why not?

I don't think it's overrated, and yes I wear it all the time.

Every
Single
Time
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #74
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
Why not. Are you implying that most here are not capable of civil discussions?

I never claimed one shouldn't wear ANY gear and I clearly stated I have and wear different helmets, jackets, gloves etc. depending on the type of riding I do but it seems like anyone not riding ATGATT is castigated on this site and yet I contend that many here claiming the importance of ATGATT are in fact at times NOT ATGATT themselves.

Why the double standard? Is it simply a commentary on man's insecurities where he feels compelled to point out his own perceived imperfections in others, or is that we care so much for our fellow man that we say and do with nothing but the purest intentions to promote and protect fellow man.

I have my opinion, let's here others.
A lot of ASSumptions in your discourse just now.

IMHO It won't end well because this is not a cruiser forum. The majority wear at least some gear, and many actually have an opinion about the intelligence of those who do not wear gear. Your post is very telling on how you stand, and defensive before the first reply.

This will not end well.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #75
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,609
I ride ATGATT every time I get on the bike, and I commute and/or get a ride in just about every day.

It was a good idea to start this because it is interesting to see how others ride, but in the end it matters little to me. Pretty much all of my friends (who I haven't met through riding) are Harley riders whose ideal motorcycle gear is boots, jeans, t-shirt and half-helmet (if required).

That's fine. They can wear what they like, and I do the same.

MUCH more importantly is that if you can't laugh at yourself or take a little ribbing (or allow others to be ribbed) then who would want to ride with you?

I read your rant in the original thread. Take a deep breath. It's really not that important in the end.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote